How was your pc building experience?

Ghost

There's always that one standoff that you forget to put in.

I picked up the completed build after boot testing in order to move it under the desk and I dropped it in the process. I bent the case, cracked the mobo (from the weight of the Cooler Master v8) , destroyed two brand new hard drives, and crushed my big toe.
This made me laugh so much :D

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9

I didn't use a screw driver to finish installing the standoffs...half of them were completely loose a year later

I also used IDE instead of AHCI

On my first build, I forgot the motherboard standoffs. I felt like an idiot.

I didn't think I'd care about cable management but when the sidepanel didn't close I cared

Spent half an hour trying to put the 6+2 pcie power into 8 pin cpu power... Oh how irritated I was.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

ohh man. oversights can happen even to the experienced user. Just the other day my network went down and i called my isp because i couldn't figure out what was wrong with my network. turns out a friend had hit the router power outlet so all i had to do was push the plug back in. lmao. I told the tech not to say anything. :o

I purchased my video card a few months after I built my first rig which was march last year. I didnt install the drivers before I started using it so my moniters didnt work so I had to run one of my motherboard and then the other off the video card.

Was a bit messy but that was the only problem I encountered for my entire build.

burnt the MOBO.. not paying attention to static :(

which also cause the HDD to burn as well.. :(

Touching the contacts on the RAM sticks, did that with my first pc build..

(Comming soon)

-FORGOT THE STANDOFFS [shock-horror] for the Motherboard. I realized they where important after remembering the back of a motherboard is not flat and VERY conductive.

- Too much thermal interface material [paste] - It didn't make an issue, but it was silver based, and after applying a much thinner layer [2/3 of a grain of rice for a AM3 heat spreader] temperatures where down 5-10*C.

- Not pushing RAM [DIMMs] in fully, though I didn't start the computer.

-Letting a PGA [Athlon II 64] type CPU fall out of my hands. straightening that many pins wasn't fun, but I managed it after a few days. At least Sandy-E chips aren't PGA ;)

I have totally dropped the processor to, i was trying to put it into the box and i looked away to continue with something else and my other hand just slapped the processor to the ground, needless to say lefty got the cold shoulder that night. lol

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

I had no issues putting my first build together until i tried to boot it up, i had no idea what to do so i brought it in to the local shop and they fixed it for me for like 150$ I pulled my rig apart and when putting it back together had the same issue, this time i had learnt and played with it, turns out I had to plug the hard drives into specific sata ports , still not sure which ones but guess and check got me running,

I also made mistakes on my most recent build, I fit everything into the case no problems and then when I turned it on the first time nothing happened, fans spun light shone but nothing on the monitor and I sat there thinking "well I cant even run memtest64 if i even get to the boot screen" turns out the problem was with the ram, i had forgotten to put any in.*facepalm* also same build put in the ram and it didn't post I got a black screen with 99 in the bottom right corner, turns out the motherboard didn't recognize my wireless keyboard and mouse, so yeah I learnt that wired is better.

I didn't really make any mistakes the first time I did my build, because I had help .
Well that's just cheating!

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Oh yes another mistake of mine with my first first build. (Before tech videos were really out there.)

Was to buy a cheap power supply.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

As always mounting the cooler upside down...

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

I've never had these issues when I put together my first build, but I've had enough experience messing with old computers like P4s and pentiums to know what I need to do :P

Old shit no one cares about but me.

I always used to put the side panel on before I knew everything was working. I was pretty OCD about my first build so I didn't make any mistakes on that but when I was upgrading my old computer I put the RAM in wrong.

Honestly can't recall anything too major going wrong, definitely forgot to flip the switch at the PSU/wall a few times.... other than that usually BIOS settings...PCIe disabled etc

When changing the heatsink on my first build to an AC Freezer Pro, I took the 939 chip out to clean it and bent most the pins the way i was holding it in my hand, dam tough 3200+, after a time consuming straightening, still works to this day.