How was your pc building experience?

Ghost

Putting the RAM in the wrong slots and freaking out when the lights flashed red...

I managed to insert a RAM stick backwards.

Needless to say, it broke :(

Spend days wondering why it wouldn't boot.

Not putting on the heatsink diagonally and with equal pressure! BE CAREFUL!!!

I didn't install the I/O shield correctly and thus made it difficult to place the motherboard into place so all the screw would align correct to it's respective hole (in a Corsair 300R).

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k OC'd @ 4.5ghz | GPU: MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) | SDD: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 3 Western Digital 1TB  Hard Drives | PSU:Corsair Professional AX750 ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Mid-Tower

In my first (and only) build i was freaking out because i had no video. After about 20 minutes of looking i realized the graphics card power wasn't plugged in -_-. I've never felt so dumb in my life.

I actually put the stock heat-sink for my FX 8150 on then pulled it straight off. I bent a pin almost completely off but i managed to get it all straightened out. I also put in a standoff in my case were there was none needed so my mobo flexed a lot until i noticed something wrong. I am lucky everything still works!

Now I double check my stuff so that doesn't happen.

And I am not even kidding when I say

video got me into computer building

Not sure if this counts as a mistake, but I had a PC, and I tried to remove the heatsink to clean it... the thermal paste had become like glue, and in pulling it off after like 10 minutes of trying (I had some mates try and pull it off too, they couldn't) the CPU came with it, right out of the socket, and bent some of the pins on it. :(

-FORGOT THE STANDOFFS [shock-horror] for the Motherboard. I realized they where important after remembering the back of a motherboard is not flat and VERY conductive.

- Too much thermal interface material [paste] - It didn't make an issue, but it was silver based, and after applying a much thinner layer [2/3 of a grain of rice for a AM3 heat spreader] temperatures where down 5-10*C.

- Not pushing RAM [DIMMs] in fully, though I didn't start the computer.

-Letting a PGA [Athlon II 64] type CPU fall out of my hands. straightening that many pins wasn't fun, but I managed it after a few days. At least Sandy-E chips aren't PGA ;)

| AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 4.0 GHz, 16GB DDR3 (8GB x3) 1600, XFX R7950 800 MHz, 1TB 7400 64MB , Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit), Fractal Design Define R4 |

| This user is located in - ~northern England, United Kingdom, Sol 3 |

CPU 8-pin after installing h80, so i had to pull the whole radiator out again to plug the damn thing in.

When installing the something huge in a small case, forgetting to put in either the 4/8-pin and the CPU fan cable, I hate it! Also, I'm very good with forgetting to install the I/O plate before I put in the motherboard.

MEH

I forget to flip the power switch from time to time. Once I had put an extra motherboard stand-off and the pc kept shuting down!! It was giving me the hibbie jibbies, and I had to disassemble the whole system to find out that that tiny thingy was the problem!

My first build I had problems with my IDE Hard Drives and Optical Drives, Master and Slave, that thing give me hard time.

I never encounter those problems with ram, cables or other things

Not testing component s for DOA before installing everything into a case

On my first build i forgot to plug the CPU power connector in.

I was 10, dont judge me

Putting the front case headers in the wrong way! So annoying, when you push the power button and.. nothing.

Buying cheap stuff from not-so-stable brands. Like Asrock back in 2005 (poor bios), Abit in 2008 (poor driver support).

Lastest upgrades might be lowest for me :P. I changed psu. Forgot to check that all cables on modular psu really are connected -> gpu, hdds and dvd drive didn't start. When changing case, I didn't get where case power buttons was. So in order to check whether everything was working ok I used old case power button.

Tried that few times but for some reason my psu didn't start. Anyway I had all parts in place and cables connected.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I snapped the audio wire from the case because it's so hard to plug it off after the PSU is placed in

My first build i couldn't get the I/O shield in atall!

But worse than that I used completely the wrong screws to mount the motherboard and wrecked the case :P

Don't forget to check it for semen as well..

They should have fixed editing by now. :(

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Bought a case that didnt have an 8 pin cpu cutout... such a bad case, had to route it behind the motherboard tray cutout and squeeze it in, works I guess... the other mistake I made was in the second system I made, tried to put the 8pin pcie into cpu power... ha ha .. ha.

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

They should have fixed editing by now. :(

cannot edit on phone for some reason