How was your pc building experience?

Ghost

I thought it would be fun to list common mistakes during your first build.

So here it goes:

- Forgetting to plug in the 4 pin at the top of your motherboard.

- Not pushing RAM in correctly on one side so it doesn't work.

- Not sorting out your boot device priority in your first boot.

- Applying thermal paste wrong.

Well post your own / common issues during a first build.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

I did one once where I didn't have the 4/8pin power put in correctly and it took me about 10 minutes to figure out why it wouldn't start..

Forgetting to flip the power switch on the PSU.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

Forgot to plug the Graphics Card Power in. Luckily my Radeon had Red LED's.

-i dont apply thermal paste wrong.. i forgot to put it

-forgot to place protection plate at the back of case before putting motherboard

-i dont have any idea where to plug the power button of the case, so i just plug wherever there is a pin on the motherboard

-not plug the power to motherboard correctly

-make a mess with the cables

-i even broke the processor lock bar by pulling it with force

Put the back plate for my H100 on the wrong way :/

forgot to plug in the CPU fan cable... lucky me I was looking inside the case when I started the machine for the first time. Since then I double check everything.

XEON 1230 v2 / AMD R9 280x / 8GB DDR3 / Adata XPG SX900 256GB SSD / Corsair 300R Side Window / Corsair CX500M / Corsair M65 Green

I didn't have the manual for the motherboard so I just kept trying different pins for the power button until it worked ...

Didn't push my gfx card all the way down in my pci-e 3.0 slot so I had to test boot into my 2.0 slot thinking I had a broken slot. Tired getting my liquid cooler to fit for an hour when I realized I had skipped a step on the manual. Actually wore a silly anti static strap. Part of a heat sink built into my board half came off.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

-almost left the plastic sticker under heatsink... thankfully caught it before screwing it in.

-didn't push in 24-pin all the way in.

Why do you quote yourself?

Forgetting to flip the power switch on the PSU.
I have done this so many times...... I feel so dumb when i cant get it to boot and its just the power switch on the PSU

Cuting my finger when installing the I/O shield like , every freaking time lol
I brought a cheap chinese case once and i can't count the amount of times i have cut my hand on it.

Nothing huge. Just forgetting to put in the Wi-Fi module on my ASUS board that I was going to use and am currently using, so I had to pull the MoBo out to put it in. I'd already connected the power cables, so it was a bit of a pain pulling them out and then putting them back in.

Have you guys noticed that while I'm not someone with a lot of posts, all my posts have pretty much perfect grammar and I always ramble on for too long. It's kind of annoying for me and for some people reading my posts I suppose. I do it in exams too and I always get limited with time because I write too much. I kind of a perfectionist when it comes to writing and typing things and sometimes it's pretty irritating. Well, no one probably read this rambling, but hey I wrote it anyway because why not, right?

Bitfenix Shinobi Window, ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, Intel i5 3570k Cooled by Noctua NH-U12S, msi GTX 660 (non-ti) 2GB, Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz 8GBCorsair CX600, Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB, ASUS Xonar DGX, Windows 7 Home Premium, 1995 IBM Model M2 (buckling springs), SteelSeries Sensei RAW, Sennheiser HD 518, A 22" 1680x1050 LG TV, Samsung S27D390H 27" PLS HD Monitor, Crucial MX-100 256GB SSD, RGB Case LEDs from IKEA(no kidding)

I've absolutely ignored all safety warnings when I built my budget PC (Which I have now - Athlon II X2 250, ASRock mobo, 4GB Kingston RAM, GTX 550 Ti). I was quite excited since previous computer passed away 3 months before (mobo suddenly died). Luckily though my PC worked, and still works. I did go crazy with tutorials on YouTube before building it.

Forgot to plug something in on the motherboard.

Got the GPU stuck between the case and the MoBo. Almost broke it :D

CPU: i5 2500K (@ stock for now) GPU: Gigabyte GTX650Ti OC MOBO: Intel P67 RAM: 2x4GB Kingston (@1333MHz) PSU: 550w Xilence CASE: Generic :D MONITOR: Dell U2412M (24', 1200p 16:10) MOUSE: Acme something KB: Logitech K260

Nothing huge. Just forgetting to put in the Wi-Fi module on my ASUS board that I was going to use and am currently using, so I had to pull the MoBo out to put it in. I'd already connected the power cables, so it was a bit of a pain pulling them out and then putting them back in.

Have you guys noticed that while I'm not someone with a lot of posts, all my posts have pretty much perfect grammar and I always ramble on for too long. It's kind of annoying for me and for some people reading my posts I suppose. I do it in exams too and I always get limited with time because I write too much. I kind of a perfectionist when it comes to writing and typing things and sometimes it's pretty irritating. Well, no one probably read this rambling, but hey I wrote it anyway because why not, right?

Hah, I sometimes do something similar!

CPU: i5 2500K (@ stock for now) GPU: Gigabyte GTX650Ti OC MOBO: Intel P67 RAM: 2x4GB Kingston (@1333MHz) PSU: 550w Xilence CASE: Generic :D MONITOR: Dell U2412M (24', 1200p 16:10) MOUSE: Acme something KB: Logitech K260

Forget to put in standoffs.

Didn't do it myself (I did everything good in one go, ha!) but I see it happening a lot.

Mount the mobo in the case, then to realize the cpu fan/heatsink needs a mounting bracket on the back of the mobo.

Bought a new GPU (7800GTX) and discovered my motherboard didn't have a PCI-E slot.

So I bought a new motherboard and discovered my CPU didn't fit inside it (socket 754 CPU, socket 939 mobo).

A GPU upgrade ended up costing a hell of a lot more than I'd planned.