Windows 10 preview upgrade guide

Here is a guide on how to upgrade from whatever OS you are running to windows 10.

1. you need to download the ISO after registering to the insider program.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

2. After downloading the ISO, you need to open it up [With windows or another archiving program] and put the contents of it on some type of removable media that has over 4 GB of storage. EX: Sd card, USB drive [if installing on non-uefi pc, the boot sector must be created on the usb drive], DVD [reccomened to use the os's built-in capability to burn iso to dvd].

Only do this step if you are running windows: 3. You should be able to run the installer on the removable media and follow the instructions on screen! Your computer should restart, which is normal. 

Only do this step if you are not running windows or have problems with step 3:+ 4. Turn off/restart your computer. On the splash screen, there should be a button to enter boot menu or setup. Hit that button and make sure to boot to the flash drive. After that Follow the on screen instructions. It should be pretty similar to the windows 8 installer.

5. Remember to install the drivers for your system available from your motherboards' or gpus' manufacturer's website, also https://ninite.com/is a good website for installing software quickly.

6. For a shortcut on installing drivers [Only works with some of them] Make sure you have a working internet connection, and press windows + x, then hit device manager. There should be some uninstalled drivers marked with a Yellow triangle. Right click those drivers and then hit "update driver software". At least some of your drivers should install successfully this way [Your display driver always should]. 

Thats it! You should now have windows 10! If you have any suggestions/corrections/things i should add, make sure to leave a comment.

Edit: partial credit to @Speedbird for some additions

Happy to help with any tech problems. Windows 10 installing guide here.
----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

But who would want to upgrade to a buggy OS that's not even finished? I mean, it's kinda stable, but it clearly states on the website not to use that for a daily driver.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

But who would want to upgrade to a buggy OS that's not even finished? I mean, it's kinda stable, but it clearly states on the website not to use that for a daily driver.

Aren't they releasing it officially in late July?  If so I'd assume it can't be too buggy, but then again it is Microsoft.

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Some people want to try it out / want a free os. And according to the net linked last night, the people who install it with the insider program will get it free, but they will have to beta test the updates also once the full version is released. I've just seen a lot of people wanting to install windows 10 so I've made this for those people.

----i5 4570s----gigabyte z97x-sli----8gb ddr3----gigabyte g1 gaming 960----HAF 912----120gb ssd----1tb hdd----500w evga----

Aren't they releasing it officially in late July?  If so I'd assume it can't be too buggy, but then again it is Microsoft.

It also has pretty limited features too. You should try the Windows 10 preview in VirtualBox or dual boot. It's pretty boring to me. I was hyped for the Xbox streaming feature.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Yeah, I have it on my own system and I haven't noticed any glitches/ incompatibilities (I'm sure there's a bunch out there) other than a glitchy taskbar at one point, but a restart fixed it for me.

It's just a guide, you don't have to upgrade to the TP now. You can upgrade mid-July right before Windows 10 releases.

Thank you!!!

No problem! :)

You should mention that a USB drive bigger than 4GB is required for installation. Also, it won't fit on a CD, only DVD. And if one decides to put it on a DVD, one should use the OS's built-in capabilities to burn an ISO to a DVD. And that if one is installing it on a non-UEFI PC, the boot sector must be created on the USB drive.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

You should mention that a USB drive bigger than 4GB is required for installation. Also, it won't fit on a CD, only DVD. And if one decides to put it on a DVD, one should use the OS's built-in capabilities to burn an ISO to a DVD. And that if one is installing it on a non-UEFI PC, the boot sector must be created on the USB drive.

Added

To help in confusion (some newbies, not myself) please change title to include the word Preview. Thanks  :D

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

To help in confusion (some newbies, not myself) please change title to include the word Preview. Thanks  :D

I couldn't edit the title, but i edited it in in caps at the top.

I couldn't edit the title, but i edited it in in caps at the top.

You can change it in full, (just so you know)

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

You can change it in full, (just so you know)

oh, i'm kind of new here.

No worries, Welcome to LTT Forum

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Is a 8 gig usb 3.0 optimal?

Uhh...  If I already signed up for the program, can't I wait until July 29 have Windows do it for me?  Or is that just the deadline for upgrading?

Need help deciding on building computer?  Message me, I can help decide on parts.  

Uhh... If I already signed up for the program, can't I wait until July 29 have Windows do it for me? Or is that just the deadline for upgrading?

From what I've heard, windows will not do it for you automatically. You will stil have to follow (possibly not all of them) these steps. And the 29th is just the decline to upgrade, I believe.

crud

Need help deciding on building computer?  Message me, I can help decide on parts.  

:(  Anyone else confirm this plz?

:(  Anyone else confirm this plz?

There is no deadline to join the Windows Insider program.  For the full release of Windows 10, click the Windows logo in the bottom right and click 'Reserve.' Windows 10 will be automatically downloaded and Installed. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

It's not buggy, at all for me on an i5 laptop and a Surface 3. Runs great. 

Yes, The RTM launches on Jul. 29Th. They are expected to pick the Release Candidate build by July (10th? / 15Th?)

It also has pretty limited features too. You should try the Windows 10 preview in VirtualBox or dual boot. It's pretty boring to me. I was hyped for the Xbox streaming feature.

It's basically the full version of windows 10. It isn't limited by features at all. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

From what I've read, the technical preview hasn't been finished it. There are apparently still more updates to come, which makes sense. So far, I think it's pretty nice. I loaded the preview onto my laptop to see how it was looking, but then switched it back to 8.1 since it doesn't support games yet.