2 pin into a 3 pin?

FireofDestruction

So I pulled a what appears to be a 92 mm fan out of an old PSU and it has a 2 pin header connected to it I was wondering if it would be ok to attach to a 3 pin header on my mobo anyone know anything on this??

So I pulled a what appears to be a 92 mm fan out of an old PSU and it has a 2 pin header connected to it I was wondering if it would be ok to attach to a 3 pin header on my mobo anyone know anything on this??

Positive to red and negative to black

3pinfanpo.jpg

Keep in mind it'll run at full speed

/end

This is a signature.

The yellow wire sends a signal which tells the computer what RPM it is running, You only need red+black for it to spin.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Nope. Not if the stock fan were running at different speeds, The PSU doesnt care what fan it has as long as it doesnt have too high resistance.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Nope. Not if the stock fan were running at different speeds, The PSU doesnt care what fan it has as long as it doesnt have too high resistance.

PSU's with 2 pin fans regulate speed based on a thermistor. Unless the mb's fan controller can regulate speed it will run at full speed. 

This is a signature.

Yes you can as said by others it's just an RPM cable. There are adapters you can get to go from 2 pin to regular 3 pin:

http://www.amazon.com/pin-fan-adapter-cable/dp/B002PNL3IS

PSU's with 2 pin fans regulate speed based on a thermistor. Unless the mb's fan controller can regulate speed it will run at full speed. 

Wouldnt that be located on the PCB and not the fan?

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Wouldnt that be located on the PCB and not the fan?

Yes, it's on the PCB. In some old PSUs those themal regulator circuits were in a daughterboard

This is a signature.

Thank you to all whom replied wasn't sure if it would be ok or not but I guess it is :P I'll put the 92mm in and finally have positive air pressure in my case

/end

Funny how you are first misleading and then correct. All fans run at full speed if not controlled by mobo or other sensors. Having it 2/3/4pin doesn't matter. Except with 4pins the way of control differs. But all 3 types can just use voltage based controlling. You don't need rpm sensor for that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

IT will be fine some fan header to molex adapters are 2 pin. They only need 2 pins

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

Funny how you are first misleading and then correct. All fans run at full speed if not controlled by mobo or other sensors. Having it 2/3/4pin doesn't matter. Except with 4pins the way of control differs. But all 3 types can just use voltage based controlling. You don't need rpm sensor for that.

I only mentioned that because he didn't specify what mb he's using, There were motherboards without fan voltage control up to even 775 times

This is a signature.