what I do is set a frequency, like 4.4 then ramp up the voltage in very small increments. from 1.25 (unstable) to 1.255, then 20 minute prime95. if stable then sony vegas 11, if unstable more voltage until I reach stability

Well that is not the way to do it. What you should do is set your frequency then set you offset voltage then run your stress test and sony vegas to see if you get any instability and if you do you just add to your offset voltage until you get stability. 20 minutes of any stress test is not enough. Do you use the offset voltage or direct voltage? If not, you should look into it, it gives a better overclock to temperature ratio. With offset voltage and the quality of my CPUs overclocking ability , i am able to get 4.4Ghz with 1.128v and an offset of 0.050v. My temperatures don't cross 55C and that is with an ambient of 30C.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Well that is not the way to do it. What you should do is set your frequency then set you offset voltage then run your stress test and sony vegas to see if you get any instability and if you do you just add to your offset voltage until you get stability. 20 minutes of any stress test is not enough. Do you use the offset voltage or direct voltage? If not, you should look into it, it gives a better overclock to temperature ratio. With offset voltage and the quality of my CPUs overclocking ability , i am able to get 4.4Ghz with 1.128v and an offset of 0.050v. My temperatures don't cross 55C and that is with an ambient of 30C.

I started using offset now. if my default V is 1.2V, and I got stability at 1.28V, it means my offset should be 1.2 + 0.08 ?

They are ok, OCCT does make the CPU run far hotter than anything else you are likely to encounter....4.4ghz on 1.25v is a very good overclock...

Try a few games to make sure its stable, if games start crashing to desktop, you may have to increase voltage slightly

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

For an Intel 3770k the maximum recommended temperature is 67 degrees Celsius. This is recommended because anything over has a higher chance of causing faster CPU degradation, especially on a chip that is further from the centre of the wafer when it is being made. The maximum voltage recommended is 1.3v as anything higher will cause your CPU to degrade quicker. So while your temperatures are fine and there are many many people who run hotter than that 24/7, you should be aiming to never exceed the 67 degree threshold even under full load

Where did this information come from? it seems to contradict everything i have read.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

http://ark.intel.com/products/65523/Intel-Core-i7-3770K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz?wapkw=3770k

Package Specifications Max CPU Configuration 1 TCASE 67.4°C Package Size 37.5mm x 37.5mm Sockets Supported FCLGA1155 Low Halogen Options Available See MDDS

Where Tcase is "Case Temperature is the maximum temperature allowed at the processor Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS)."

And yes, Intel set this standard as high heats do cause computer components to degrade faster. What exactly does it contradict and I'll try to clarify

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I started using offset now. if my default V is 1.2V, and I got stability at 1.28V, it means my offset should be 1.2 + 0.08 ?

Firstly the offset is  in increments of 0.005v only, which would mean that you can only have multiples of 5(e.g. 0.005, 0.010, 0.015, 0.020 and so on and it goes up to 0.650v if i remember right So 0.08v would not be allowed.

Secondly, if you use a offset value of 0.07v this would actually read as 0.070v and according to your frequency this might be too much or too little. e.g. My 3570k can have a -0.005 offset up to 4.2ghz stably, if i increase my frequency any higher i need a + offset voltage. I have an overclock profile of 4.4ghz an it needs +0.040v to be stable but if i go any higher like say 4.5ghz i have to apply +0.080v to +0.085v and if i go to 4.7ghz i need to apply +0.100v to +0.110v for it to be stable. So i can not say what would be your offset voltage that you would need to apply.

Thirdly, your TIM, cooling solution and ambient temperature plays a big part in the values you can achieve.

Fourthly, you need to know that if once you use a stable overclock using your motherboard's overclocking utility and let us say your CPU now has a frequency of 4.5ghz with 1.290v with auto +offset, once you apply a value in your offset voltage field the CPUs voltage will no longer be 1.290v but may read 0.985v or 0.908v at idle but may read 1.180v at load and not 1.290v anymore and when you go back to idle your CPU's voltage will decrease to 0.985 or whatever is enough for it at idle.

That being said, the value of your offset voltage would depend on your CPUs overclocking ability. I recommend that you apply your default UEFI settings and then run what ever overclocking utility your motherboard comes with and use the values of that overclock as your base. If you can achieve a frequency of higher than 4.4ghz i recommend you use an offset voltage of 0.090v and then check for stability then if it is stable you can try reducing the offset voltage to say 0.080v and see if it is still stable. You can do this till you  achieve what you consider a good overclock to temperature ratio for your set up. I can't say that your offset voltage should be this or that. I can only give you my values and in your case you would need to apply more offset voltage or less. I hope it is less, as if you are like me i would like to push my CPU to its limits to see what i can get and then just dial it back a bit for safety.

One more thing the colours of the offset voltage changes to let you know how close you can go before having problems, i.e. killing your CPU. In my case, 0.005v to 0.050v stays black and from 0.055v to 0.130v it is yellow if i go higher it changes colour again to a orangeish colour and that higher than the orange colour it turns red. I have never gone past the yellow range. 

Firstly the offset is in increments of 0.005v only, which would mean that you can only have multiples of 5(e.g. 0.005, 0.010, 0.015, 0.020 and so on and it goes up to 0.650v if i remember right So 0.08v would not be allowed.

Secondly, if you use a offset value of 0.07v this would actually read as 0.070v and according to your frequency this might be too much or too little. e.g. My 3570k can have a -0.005 offset up to 4.2ghz stably, if i increase my frequency any higher i need a + offset voltage. I have an overclock profile of 4.4ghz an it needs +0.040v to be stable but if i go any higher like say 4.5ghz i have to apply +0.080v to +0.085v and if i go to 4.7ghz i need to apply +0.100v to +0.110v for it to be stable. So i can not say what would be your offset voltage that you would need to apply.

Thirdly, your TIM, cooling solution and ambient temperature plays a big part in the values you can achieve.

Fourthly, you need to know that if once you use a stable overclock using your motherboard's overclocking utility and let us say your CPU now has a frequency of 4.5ghz with 1.290v with auto +offset, once you apply a value in your offset voltage field the CPUs voltage will no longer be 1.290v but may read 0.985v or 0.908v at idle but may read 1.180v at load and not 1.290v anymore and when you go back to idle your CPU's voltage will decrease to 0.985 or whatever is enough for it at idle.

That being said, the value of your offset voltage would depend on your CPUs overclocking ability. I recommend that you apply your default UEFI settings and then run what ever overclocking utility your motherboard comes with and use the values of that overclock as your base. If you can achieve a frequency of higher than 4.4ghz i recommend you use an offset voltage of 0.090v and then check for stability then if it is stable you can try reducing the offset voltage to say 0.080v and see if it is still stable. You can do this till you achieve what you consider a good overclock to temperature ratio for your set up. I can't say that your offset voltage should be this or that. I can only give you my values and in your case you would need to apply more offset voltage or less. I hope it is less, as if you are like me i would like to push my CPU to its limits to see what i can get and then just dial it back a bit for safety.

One more thing the colours of the offset voltage changes to let you know how close you can go before having problems, i.e. killing your CPU. In my case, 0.005v to 0.050v stays black and from 0.055v to 0.130v it is yellow if i go higher it changes colour again to a orangeish colour and that higher than the orange colour it turns red. I have never gone past the yellow range.

Thanks a lottt but I didn't get the part with the colors

The temps are a bit high but i assume thats just a stress test load and not a real world usage load. i would consider turning your voltage down a bit until it becomes unstable then back up a bit to find the lowest stable voltage or turning your frequency down to 4.2. It won't hurt your CPU but if you live in a hot place or it gets hot in the room that your PC is in i would consider turning down your overclock to be safe. keep in mind CPUs are rated to handle temperatures of 105C as an absolute maximum.

Thanks a lottt but I didn't get the part with the colors

When you say you don't get the part with the colors do you mean your motherboard does not change the colors or you don't understand what changes color? I can put some screenshots to show you if need be. 

for having an h100i cooler its hot even under full load still they can handle it.

1. if you want it more cool try to ad a 2nd fan on the other side of the coolblock.

2. check the room temp if your pc is in a room with 15° or 30° the difference will be noticed on temps.

3. if nothing else helps and realy wanne cool more watercooling is your solution.

When you say you don't get the part with the colors do you mean your motherboard does not change the colors or you don't understand what changes color? I can put some screenshots to show you if need be. 

screenshots will be prkfkt

for having an h100i cooler its hot even under full load still they can handle it.

1. if you want it more cool try to ad a 2nd fan on the other side of the coolblock.

2. check the room temp if your pc is in a room with 15° or 30° the difference will be noticed on temps.

3. if nothing else helps and realy wanne cool more watercooling is your solution.

my room temps is good and I have no space for a push - pull config. thanks anyway

screenshots will be prkfkt

Ok, 4.4ghz is first. Look at the bottom of the screenshot and look at the colour of the +offset voltage i have for 4.4Ghz which is 0.035v. You will see it is in black. Then look at the next screenshot which will be 4.7ghz and the +offset voltage of 4.7ghz which is 0.105, it will be in yellow. If i go any further than +0.105v on the offset voltage it will change to pink and it changes colour when you go even higher. I can't show you those colours because my OC profiles are not that high. Try not to pass the yellow offset voltage.

post-3854-0-48056000-1376531591.jpg

post-3854-0-12407400-1376531602.jpg