After 10h of OCCT

89c

i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz @ 1.285V

H100i, SP120s Quiet Edition @ Quiet Mode

ASROCK Z77 Extreme4

g4gv5Ra.jpg

Very nice speeds.  All is good as long as its stable.  

aren't my temps a bit too high ?

89 is high but under a stress load like that it seems about right, you should never hit those temps under normal load.  What are your Idle temps?

The temps seem a bit high. I'm thinking your heatsink mounting might have a bit of air. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

just out of curiosity

what are your temps

when gaming?

if you run cinebench five times in a row?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

i think you temps are bit high but it's OK cause is just stress testing so everything is going to be all right

Manners Maketh Man

temps arent too bad especially for gaming. you can ramp up your fans if you wanna try for 4.6

you can try and lower your voltage, if it is too high.  depends on your ambient but it should be fine.

you can try and lower your voltage, if it is too high.  depends on your ambient but it should be fine.

for some reason my 1.275 survived a 6h Intel Burn Test test but yesterday I was just idling and CPU crashed .. booted PC up and it crashed again .. I am going to a LAN party soon and I really dont want it to happen there :)

just out of curiosity

what are your temps

when gaming?

if you run cinebench five times in a row?

When gaming I think last time I checked I hit the 80s or so .. 84c + -

The temps seem a bit high. I'm thinking your heatsink mounting might have a bit of air. 

I re-mounted it after temps were high (4.4 95c) and I think I mounted it good this time .. should I try tightening the screws a bit ?

89 is high but under a stress load like that it seems about right, you should never hit those temps under normal load.  What are your Idle temps?

when reading this post when Sony Vegas 11 Pro is on, 47c on 2 cores

edit - after watching a "preview" of a video on sony vegas (not rly idle) 61c on 2 cores

I re-mounted it after temps were high (4.4 95c) and I think I mounted it good this time .. should I try tightening the screws a bit ?

You should be tightening the screws so that a light twist won't turn the screws anymore.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

running your fans in quiet mode?

can you ramp up the rpm?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

under occt 88c is great

full load under a game even at 100% will never reach that

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

After 10h of OCCT

89c

i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz @ 1.285V

H100i, SP120s Quiet Edition @ Quiet Mode

ASROCK Z77 Extreme4

g4gv5Ra.jpg

idk man my i5 2500k reaches 85 Celsius with an aftermarget air cooler at 4.7 GHz and running a stress test on my graphics card aswell (so the case is HOT inside) but it's not like those temps will cause your chip any harm since it's under full load.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

Your temperatures are high but it is not to critical. You can however lower your temperatures by using the offset voltage if your motherboard supports it. Keeping in mind everyone's criteria, CPU, ambient temperatures and cooling solution, is different for temperatures, here is mine

post-3854-0-10152600-1374759095.png

post-3854-0-82829600-1374759233.png

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Your temperatures are high but it is not to critical. You can however lower your temperatures by using the offset voltage if your motherboard supports it. Keeping in mind everyone's criteria, CPU, ambient temperatures and cooling solution, is different for temperatures, here is mine

that's some good voltage. My CPU crashes sometimes during Sony Vegas 11 Rendering (96~100% load) and even sometimes during idle ! I am extremely frustrated and have no idea what to do. I will remount the cooler soon because I am moving to another country and taking my PC in a bag.

what is your ram ?

have you tried to scale the memory back to 1333mhz @ 1.5V ?

your temps are hot but even at 90c your intel cpu  should  technically run fine if the system is stable. the system however is NOT stable.

overclocking takes time to find stability

use the ietu or prime 95 blend test to stress test your chip.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

make sure your on the latest bios

given your results

set ram at 1333mhz at 1.5V

i would start at 4.2 or 4.3GHz at 1.27V

try and find stability for 8 hours

if stable push for 4.4GHz or more. I think 1.27V is prolly your max voltage for your cooling setup

if not stable you dont really have much thermal headroom to go past 1.28V

settle for a low overclock at low voltages.

you can always run at stock if your in a jam

what is your ram ?

have you tried to scale the memory back to 1333mhz @ 1.5V ?

your temps are hot but even at 90c your intel cpu  should  technically run fine if the system is stable. the system however is NOT stable.

overclocking takes time to find stability

use the ietu or prime 95 blend test to stress test your chip.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

make sure your on the latest bios

given your results

set ram at 1333mhz at 1.5V

i would start at 4.2 or 4.3GHz at 1.27V

try and find stability for 8 hours

if stable push for 4.4GHz or more. I think 1.27V is prolly your max voltage for your cooling setup

if not stable you dont really have much thermal headroom to go past 1.28V

settle for a low overclock at low voltages.

you can always run at stock if your in a jam

my system at 1.28 passes torture tests but sometimes fails at rendering sony vegas files. Today I crashed during rendering + while watching preview on sony vegas , and a couple days ago while playing BF3 .. what can be the problem ? thanks for a long reply

that's some good voltage. My CPU crashes sometimes during Sony Vegas 11 Rendering (96~100% load) and even sometimes during idle ! I am extremely frustrated and have no idea what to do. I will remount the cooler soon because I am moving to another country and taking my PC in a bag.

I think you should clear your CMOS and load your default settings in BIOS and start over. I am not familiar with Asrock's extreme tuning utility but after clearing my CMOS and loading default BIOS settings i would leave everything on auto and run the utility to see how high i can get then do a stress test and use sony vegas 11 to see if i get any crashes. If it doesn't then i would start reducing the CPU voltage with the offset mode in little increments to the point of instability and from there i would increase the offset a little until i get stability back again then do a stress test again and check temperatures.

Another thing i would do is check to see if the RAM that you are using is compatible with my motherboard as incompatible RAM can cause instability too.

This is how i did my overclock and i have 5 profiles 4.2ghz- 4.7ghz with good temperatures and voltages but it took time, a lot of time to get there so be patient.

I think you should clear your CMOS and load your default settings in BIOS and start over. I am not familiar with Asrock's extreme tuning utility but after clearing my CMOS and loading default BIOS settings i would leave everything on auto and run the utility to see how high i can get then do a stress test and use sony vegas 11 to see if i get any crashes. If it doesn't then i would start reducing the CPU voltage with the offset mode in little increments to the point of instability and from there i would increase the offset a little until i get stability back again then do a stress test again and check temperatures.

Another thing i would do is check to see if the RAM that you are using is compatible with my motherboard as incompatible RAM can cause instability too.

This is how i did my overclock and i have 5 profiles 4.2ghz- 4.7ghz with good temperatures and voltages but it took time, a lot of time to get there so be patient.

I just got Vengeance 4x4 1600mhz ram. I will run prime95 on blend and for the finishing touch Sony Vegas 11. how long should each stability test be ? (final for 6~12h)

I just got Vengeance 4x4 1600mhz ram. I will run prime95 on blend and for the finishing touch Sony Vegas 11. how long should each stability test be ? (final for 6~12h)

Run prime95 for 8 - 12 hours and do about two of the sony vegas edits(however you normally do) and see how that goes. You may also need to clear your CMOS but make sure your overclocks are save to the motherboard profile list first.

Happy overclocking.

For an Intel 3770k the maximum recommended temperature is 67 degrees Celsius. This is recommended because anything over has a higher chance of causing faster CPU degradation, especially on a chip that is further from the centre of the wafer when it is being made. The maximum voltage recommended is 1.3v as anything higher will cause your CPU to degrade quicker. So while your temperatures are fine and there are many many people who run hotter than that 24/7, you should be aiming to never exceed the 67 degree threshold even under full load

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Run prime95 for 8 - 12 hours and do about two of the sony vegas edits(however you normally do) and see how that goes. You may also need to clear your CMOS but make sure your overclocks are save to the motherboard profile list first.

Happy overclocking.

and each stability test for new voltage ? is 10~15mins ok ?

and each stability test for new voltage ? is 10~15mins ok ?

What do you mean test for new voltage and 10 - 15 minutes ? You are suppose to have already put a voltage and you run the stress test, in your case you would run both prime95 and Sony Vegas 11 for a period of time to check for stability, if you get BSOD then you increase your voltage a bit or decrease your multiplier a bit then stress test again. If after you have run both tests and you have not gotten any problems then you have a stable overclock and now you can either stay there and be happy or push for more. Just remember to save your overclock profile in your motherboard so you can recall it if you want to.

What do you mean test for new voltage and 10 - 15 minutes ? You are suppose to have already put a voltage and you run the stress test, in your case you would run both prime95 and Sony Vegas 11 for a period of time to check for stability, if you get BSOD then you increase your voltage a bit or decrease your multiplier a bit then stress test again. If after you have run both tests and you have not gotten any problems then you have a stable overclock and now you can either stay there and be happy or push for more. Just remember to save your overclock profile in your motherboard so you can recall it if you want to.

what I do is set a frequency, like 4.4 then ramp up the voltage in very small increments. from 1.25 (unstable) to 1.255, then 20 minute prime95. if stable then sony vegas 11, if unstable more voltage until I reach stability