Nvidia fanboys bad for the GPU market?

CostcoSamples

This is just a theory, and I'd like to hear what you guys think.  AMD has been struggling to keep up on the CPU and GPU markets.  Developing a new GPU can cost upwards of $1 BILLION, which is an insane amount of money.  If AMD falls too far behind, they will not have the capital to invest in R&D to stay competitive and may go bankrupt or restructure to no longer compete in the GPU market.  If this happens, there will be no real competition for Nvidia.  Lack of competition means we all get mediocre upgrades, higher prices, and the industry stalls until another competitor enters the game (which could take a long time, given the cost of R&D)

I am not saying anybody should go buy AMD for this reason alone, but perhaps it should be a small factor (maybe 10% of the decision).  I think it is a mistake to go full on Nvidia fanboy and ignore AMD because they run a little hotter.  AMD still makes good cards, and we should all avoid being a fanboy of either team.  I think it is worthwhile to give a bit of thought to the industry in general when making a purchase decision. 

The new AMD cards seem like they are good, so for the sake of future competition, lets give AMD cards the proper consideration they deserve.

I've thought about this as well.

HOWEVER, if AMD went bankrupt, Nvidia would have a monopoly on the x86 graphics market. The FTC (United States Federal Trade Commission) would not let that happen. Nvidia would get split up into multiple companies in that situation, which would screw over everyone, including the consumer (due to intellectual property and how that would get distributed). Nvidia and Intel are holding back new tech on purpose, to keep AMD afloat. This is why upgrading from a 2500k/2600k CPU is pointless, even though it is many years old.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

Maybe if they whole r9 wasn't rebrands.....

I want to like AMD but especially for CPU's, it makes no sense for me to buy them. I find the current situation they are in is a little sad.

And before someone points out that NV rebrands stuff; Yeah, I know but they don't do it to an entire generation of GPU's barre one.

And;

x86 graphics market. 

Just wanted to point out, x86 is a 32bit CPU instruction set. And IIRC, NV and AMD use different instruction sets. NVidia uses PTX - Parallel Thread 

Execution.

First of all, this thread is bullshit.

Secondly, ANY fanboy is bad for the computer parts market.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

AMD could release a cheaper, faster, quieter, lower power consumption and sexier GPU line up than Nvidia and still be the underdog because it's impossible to shake off 20 years of "The way it is meant to be played" branding.

One thing I think they really need to do is WHQL cert all their drivers rather than continue to let retards think they haven't released new drivers in however many months simply because all their new drivers are labeled as "beta". (Shame on reviewers for perpetuating this bullshit too.  They should be telling people to download the beta drivers instead.)

They also need to make a show off releasing day one drivers for games, even if they don't really do much. Kind of like Nvidia does with game ready drivers, that usually add a SLI profile/disable SLI entirely and add geforce experience graphics preset and offer zero benefit for single GPU users, but it gives the perception to people that they are getting the sick performance boosts they are going to need to play whatever new big AAA title that is coming out.

I want to like AMD but especially for CPU's, it makes no sense for me to buy them. I find the current situation they are in is a little sad.

And before someone points out that NV rebrands stuff; Yeah, I know but they don't do it to an entire generation of GPU's barre one.

If the performance is still competitive with Nvidia's offerings, what's the problem?  The 290 and 290x are still very awesome GPU's worthy of being high end cards.  Rebadging them will drive sales from people who think "Oh man those cards came out in 2013, they must be worse than 2015 cards!".

If they didn't go with HBM, they could have cut down Fiji more to flesh out the line up.  But it's too expensive and yields aren't good enough to launch a whole lineup with it.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

AMD could release a cheaper, faster, quieter, lower power consumption and sexier GPU line up than Nvidia and still be the underdog because it's impossible to shake off 20 years of "The way it is meant to be played" branding.

One thing I think they really need to do is WHQL cert all their drivers rather than continue to let retards think they haven't released new drivers in however many months simply because all their new drivers are labeled as "beta". (Shame on reviewers for perpetuating this bullshit too.  They should be telling people to download the beta drivers instead.)

They also need to make a show off releasing day one drivers for games, even if they don't really do much. Kind of like Nvidia does with game ready drivers, that usually add a SLI profile/disable SLI entirely and add geforce experience graphics preset and offer zero benefit for single GPU users, but it gives the perception to people that they are getting the sick performance boosts they are going to need to play whatever new big AAA title that is coming out.

If the performance is still competitive with Nvidia's offerings, what's the problem?  The 290 and 290x are still very awesome GPU's worthy of being high end cards.  Rebadging them will drive sales from people who think "Oh man those cards came out in 2013, they must be worse than 2015 cards!".

If they didn't go with HBM, they could have cut down Fiji more to flesh out the line up.  But it's too expensive and yields aren't good enough to launch a whole lineup with it.

My point isn't that relevant for the AMD GPU's, I still recommend them a lot of the time. I don't blame AMD for the rebadging, I just find it sad they have to do it.

Truth be told, I swapped to NVidia because a few of the programs I run are CUDA accelerated. My current GPUs are the first NV cards I've owned.

EDIT: Reread what you said and you pretty much nailed it in the first paragraph; AMD is perceived as being worse (I've used at least 3 generations of AMD they all ran really well) even though they aren't. I still hold that they need to do something with that CPU lineup but the GPU lineup is sweet and has stayed relevant for far longer than NV's has. 

Just wanted to point out, x86 is a 32bit CPU instruction set. And IIRC, NV and AMD use different instruction sets. NVidia uses PTX - Parallel Thread 

Execution.

You know what I'm talking about...

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HE OWNS A 970 MATE.

OP, asking for a flame war. dont worry, nvidia will just not innovate to keep amd competitive. 

So like they usually do? lol

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

snip

no ... no ....

You ... what have you done

Don't you know nvidia fanbois can't be argued with

YOU STARTED THE WAR AGAIN, PREPARE THE 7990'S 

agree'd, go on any new 300 series or fury video and you will see like 10-20 comments from nvidia fanboys stating facts that arent true

Only a fucking moron would put the blame of AMD's failure on the fanboys.

Fanboys do nothing but create noise.

The only reason why AMD fails is that they do NOT try hard enough to innovate.  For fuck's sake:  78xx, 79xx, R9 2xx, R9 3xx are all THE SAME SHIT.  They have just been slightly quicker and more memory over the years, THAT'S IT.  Same power hungry toaster they've been foisting on consumers for about 4 years now.

Their cpus are complete garbage.  Their 6 core gets its ass handed to it by a dual core from Intel.  They have NOTHING that even touches any of Intel's high end.

I spat on Intel when AMD's Athlon chips were raping them for less money.  After that AMD went on stupid mode and fell behind.

I would give AMD some credit had the GCN cards slashed their tdp after every rebrand.  But they haven't.  Still the same inefficient shit.

I am willing to listen to someone debate why PC users should by a AMD card.

But as soon as I read a comment about even though the 300 series is rebranded that dates back to 2012, its performance is still fine as justification, loses all credibility.

The 300 series is a rebrand, and if done correctly and fairly would be little reason to debate over... But its not and you fail to see it or justify the whole GPU lineup with this almighty Fury we hear so much about. That is only one card in many.

- the 300 series is rebranded and sold at a much higher cost, even though almost all of its tech was present in later releases of the 290X. rebrand aside you think its fine paying an extra 100 dollars for a 390X when its the same freaking card... which die hard fans even openly admit too.

- The 300 series performance increase is already being proven to be mostly drivers yet AMD fans are fine with the fact that those benchmark show performance gains in games older 290X series card were struggling on. Those very games that AMD came out and said "its gameworks" and tried to shift blame on poor performing drivers. Instead of giving you the driver update you have to buy a new card to get that performance. People already have the 300 series drivers working on 200 series cards... THAT IS WRONG.

- AMD in a single release have given the middle finger to their consumers who only spend 500 (AUD) or less on a GPU by releasing current tech at a higher price with drivers being the main factor behind improved performance... While these fans sit their and defend the company AMD have decided to spent their entire RND budget on the FURY, a card the main group of AMD owners will never own. All because they want to change their company from a budget company to a Performance...

That is like if Nvidia said hey our new maxwell chip is only available to those willing to spend the money on a 980 or higher... all you guys who buy the lower end cards... you know the majority of our profit.... you guys get the 770 rebranded... Don't worry about performance we tweaked it in a driver so its faster... O btw its 100 bucks more then the 770 was.

AMD has literally committed one of the biggest f yous to its consumer base in its history and has every AMD fan grinning with shit of there face pretending its chocolate. That is why I will never by AMD again.

nvidia fanboy be like

11427340_10155926088875556_5843680650217

This Nvidia fanboy doesn't think that is worth this:  1000_dollars.jpg

This is just a theory, and I'd like to hear what you guys think.  AMD has been struggling to keep up on the CPU and GPU markets.  Developing a new GPU can cost upwards of $1 BILLION, which is an insane amount of money.  If AMD falls too far behind, they will not have the capital to invest in R&D to stay competitive and may go bankrupt or restructure to no longer compete in the GPU market.  If this happens, there will be no real competition for Nvidia.  Lack of competition means we all get mediocre upgrades, higher prices, and the industry stalls until another competitor enters the game (which could take a long time, given the cost of R&D)

I am not saying anybody should go buy AMD for this reason alone, but perhaps it should be a small factor (maybe 10% of the decision).  I think it is a mistake to go full on Nvidia fanboy and ignore AMD because they run a little hotter.  AMD still makes good cards, and we should all avoid being a fanboy of either team.  I think it is worthwhile to give a bit of thought to the industry in general when making a purchase decision. 

The new AMD cards seem like they are good, so for the sake of future competition, lets give AMD cards the proper consideration they deserve.

This just in: fanboys are bad. Breaking news! More at 7!

But seriously, thanks for stating the obvious. That being said, however, your logic is flawed. Even slightly considering anything because the company is going through a rough period is a stupid idea.

You're correct in saying that a monopoly would be bad, but so is weak competition. Let's imagine AMD cards were truly inferior, but we all ganged up and bought them anyway, how's that helping anything? Now everyone is stuck with a lesser product, and the competition won't even try to innovate anymore, because they don't have to to stay relevant.

That being said, where I live there is absolutely no compelling reason to buy AMD cards. The 290X costs as much or more than the 970 in most places. That, coupled with the other disadvantages (power consumption + heat output + SLI>CF) makes AMD just not a very good choice. Don't even get me started on the 390X, I've seen those listed for up to €500, for a rebranded 290X...

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

I agree, as an Nvidia Fanboy, I hope the AMD Fanboys step it up and start buying Crossfire to make up for the number of Nvidia cards sold.

So if all you AMD Fans can just buy 2 cards, keep yourselves on the market, so us Team Green can keep getting the amazing graphics cards, that would be nice.

7800X3D - MSI B650 MAG Tomahawk - 32GB 6000mhz CL30 - Gigabyte 3080 TI - 2TB NVME - 1000w PSU - ID Cooling 240mm AIO

because AMD are the little guys shouldnt even lend 1% of credence to your decision in buying a GFX or CPU! EVER!

whoever has the best tech, and best value and best drivers at that point in time. should get your money. This is the only way to treat both companies the same and to hold them accountable for any bad or good actions the company takes. 

AMD has been non existent for a year or so now, and GFX share dropped under 20%. we still got the Titan X and the 980ti. and AMD now has the Fury. as long as they make good products ppl will pay for them 

Not Just fanboys, In my country Most retailers sells and show only Nvidia cards on the display shelf. Have to ask them personally for Amd cards D:

This just in: fanboys are bad. Breaking news! More at 7!

But seriously, thanks for stating the obvious. That being said, however, your logic is flawed. Even slightly considering anything because the company is going through a rough period is a stupid idea.

You're correct in saying that a monopoly would be bad, but so is weak competition. Let's imagine AMD cards were truly inferior, but we all ganged up and bought them anyway, how's that helping anything? Now everyone is stuck with a lesser product, and the competition won't even try to innovate anymore, because they don't have to to stay relevant.

That being said, where I live there is absolutely no compelling reason to buy AMD cards. The 290X costs as much or more than the 970 in most places. That, coupled with the other disadvantages (power consumption + heat output + SLI>CF) makes AMD just not a very good choice. Don't even get me started on the 390X, I've seen those listed for up to €500, for a rebranded 290X...

Thank you for the comment.  

If the reviews show the 390x as being a poor value (especially if your local prices are way too high) then by all means, don't buy it.  But lets say for example the 390 and 390x are right in the performance range of the 970 and 980 (+ or - a few percentage points, depending which review site you read, and depending on factory OC etc), and your local prices are also comparable, why not give the AMD cards some consideration?  

You (and others) have pointed out allowing market share influence your personal buying decision is a bad idea.  That is a valid point, I agree, rewarding mediocrity will get you more mediocrity.  Thank you for pointing that out.

But lets pretend for a moment the Fury x comes out as being identical in performance to a 980 ti, and the price was the same, and assuming drivers were equivalent, would you buy AMD or Nvidia?  In that case, would you factor into your decision the overall GPU market?

And on the other side of things, if AMD goes bankrupt (or more likely they would get bought by the likes of Samsung or others) that would give room for market share to be scooped up by a more suitable competitor.  Perhaps we'd see stagnant innovation for a couple of years, but once the new player entered the market innovation would likely explode.  I guess that is the beauty of capitalism and free markets - resources are constantly being transferred from the lazy to the innovative.

Companies love brand loyalty because it gives them room to relax a little.  Everybody tries to do it, some brands are really good at it.  Apple, Nvidia, even Asus with their ROG series.  It is not wrong or evil, but I wonder how it affects innovation.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I've thought about this as well.

HOWEVER, if AMD went bankrupt, Nvidia would have a monopoly on the x86 graphics market. The FTC (United States Federal Trade Commission) would not let that happen. Nvidia would get split up into multiple companies in that situation, which would screw over everyone, including the consumer (due to intellectual property and how that would get distributed). Nvidia and Intel are holding back new tech on purpose, to keep AMD afloat. This is why upgrading from a 2500k/2600k CPU is pointless, even though it is many years old.

I'm not an expert on US anti-trust laws, but don't they have the option of paying fines?  Like back in the 1990s Microsoft paid Apple to stay afloat to avoid having a monopoly.  But also, being a global market, things outside the US would be handled differently.  Anyway, the absolute worst thing that could happen would be for the government to get involved in any of this.  They would ruin things for everyone (as they always do).

Do you really think Intel and Nvidia are holding back new tech to avoid a monopoly?  I've never read anything suggesting that to be the case.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Well I feel like all 3 major part manufacturers are screwing us one way or another so loyal to one? NEVER! But I most say 300 series looks awesome! :D

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

I'm not happy with any of them, have seen how long it takes to bring a new product and then it's just a slight difference between the last where the hell has innovation gone and the big leaps

I'm not an expert on US anti-trust laws, but don't they have the option of paying fines?  Like back in the 1990s Microsoft paid Apple to stay afloat to avoid having a monopoly.  But also, being a global market, things outside the US would be handled differently.  Anyway, the absolute worst thing that could happen would be for the government to get involved in any of this.  They would ruin things for everyone (as they always do).

Do you really think Intel and Nvidia are holding back new tech to avoid a monopoly?  I've never read anything suggesting that to be the case.

Well, I'm not sure about Nvidia. Intel, on the other hand, is almost definitely holding back. Intel hasn't actually tried to increase performance on the desktop in quite a while. It's just been then same 10% increase in IPC every time a new CPU is released.

Thank you for the comment.  

If the reviews show the 390x as being a poor value (especially if your local prices are way too high) then by all means, don't buy it.  But lets say for example the 390 and 390x are right in the performance range of the 970 and 980 (+ or - a few percentage points, depending which review site you read, and depending on factory OC etc), and your local prices are also comparable, why not give the AMD cards some consideration?  

You (and others) have pointed out allowing market share influence your personal buying decision is a bad idea.  That is a valid point, I agree, rewarding mediocrity will get you more mediocrity.  Thank you for pointing that out.

But lets pretend for a moment the Fury x comes out as being identical in performance to a 980 ti, and the price was the same, and assuming drivers were equivalent, would you buy AMD or Nvidia?  In that case, would you factor into your decision the overall GPU market?

And on the other side of things, if AMD goes bankrupt (or more likely they would get bought by the likes of Samsung or others) that would give room for market share to be scooped up by a more suitable competitor.  Perhaps we'd see stagnant innovation for a couple of years, but once the new player entered the market innovation would likely explode.  I guess that is the beauty of capitalism and free markets - resources are constantly being transferred from the lazy to the innovative.

Companies love brand loyalty because it gives them room to relax a little.  Everybody tries to do it, some brands are really good at it.  Apple, Nvidia, even Asus with their ROG series.  It is not wrong or evil, but I wonder how it affects innovation.

Would I buy Fury X or 980Ti?

Very good question. Now, we can't assume any feature of either card is identical, because that would be unrealistic, but if drivers, price and performance were VERY similar, I'd still prefer the 980Ti. I'm a big fan of Nvidia's control panel (and I'm more experienced with it), as long as AMD does not provide a clearly better experience. I also like the complementary software better. Geforce Experience, for example, is still superior to gaming evolved in my opinion. I would NEVER let market share be a factor in my decision. Why should I have to give up on certain features I want/I am used to to "help out" a company? Every consumer should base their decisions on their own experience, not to accommodate a company.

If everything's equal, I'd prefer Nvidia, based on previous experiences, but I wouldn't stay with them if the AMD equivalent is just better in general. I regularly have someone come to me to ask to pick components for a build. I've recommended a lot of AMD cards in those builds, because they just used to provide a better value at lower price points.

Don't get me started on Apple though. Their story just shows how brainwashed people can get by fancy marketing words like "retina". I can't remember how many times I've told an iPhone user that their "retina" screen is actually lower resolution than other flagship phones. (mostly with the iPhone 5, which wasn't even HD). Obviously you won't catch tech savvy people with stuff like this, but many people seem to like the buzz words. Steve Jobs wasn't an innovator, he was good at acting. I own an iPod Touch 3G. Fantastic device, no doubt, but just not worth the price premium.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

I remember all these Nvidia fanboys a year ago insisting the gtx 770 was better than the r9 290/x, or saying the gtx 760 was better than the 280xeven when it cost MORE. This is the kind of fanboy BS that gives then a bad name.

The 290x is still going strong and its "rebadge" the 390x is even beating the 980 in pretty much all 4k benchmarks and some 1440p ones. Meanwhile I wonder how that gtx 770 or 760 is working out for em.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB