Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HCP

Scratch build: Akula Project

Posted · Original PosterOP
After 2 months of hard work without any modding, its time for a scratch build :)

Hardware

Intel i7 5960x

Still planning on other parts.

Cooling

Not sure if i will go full water or use a really good air cooler.

GPU is probably going to be watercooled.

I do not have a big window on the case, there is no nice hardlines or cooling to show, the goal will be 100% performance and silence.

Case

I´m pretty tired of cases with windows.

I want something thats looks really nice (in my opinion) and can stand on my desk without disturbing the work, no flashing lights, roaring fans or too much LED´s.

The insides is from a regular case, i have just built a shell around it.

I really began playing with the shape of the DeepCool TriStellar case, and it evolved to this - The Akula

Aaaand, here we go.

First 38 cuts - out of about 400 :)

project-akula1.jpg

Here is what i started with, the shape of the DeepCool TriStellar.

I played with the shapes for a while and then took one chamber, stacked it on another one vertically and from that i created the Akula.

project-akula3.jpg

And here is the concept rendering. And no, its not a photo-rendering, just a quick one to get a idea of size and looks.

The blue in the front is a 16mm acrylic hardline, filled with water... More details about this one as the buildlog proceeds :)

Light gray areas in the front will be mesh for air intake.

project-akula2.jpg

Quick image of the sidepanel, as its not showing good in the rendering.

Consists of alot of plates to get some structure of the surface. The black area between top and bottom parts is either a mesh for air, or a really really small window, not decieded yet ;)

project-akula4.jpg

Pieces cut into parts needed.

The bigger ones i only have 10 pcs of, 20 needed. Have to buy more acrylic :)

project-akula6.jpg

Front edges glued and sanded a bit to get the shape perfect.

It took me 3-4 re-glues to get the exact angles needed.

project-akula5.jpg

As all pieces are angled in the cuts, and i only have this little friend to make the cuts

I had to make special jigs to hold the pieces while cutting the sides.

project-akula7.jpg

And here is one of the jigs, 63,5° angle.

It slides on the side of the board and cuts the piece into a perfect angle :)

project-akula8.jpg

All rigged up for the first cut

project-akula9.jpg

Perfect!

I tried cutting with jigsaw and a bottom plate that could be angled, but never got good cuts.

This works awsome, its a bit fiddling around to mount every piece and measure where i need the cut, but its quicker than jigsaw + sanding all edges.

project-akula10.jpg

Nice! subbed!

CPU: i7 4790K |CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: Z97-A | RAM: 4x4GB Kingston Memory 1600mhz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 120GB Kingston V300 SSD | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer 302USB Xenyx 5 Input Mixer | Neewer® NW-700 Microphone | Behringer PS400 Micropower Phantom Power Supply

Networking gear:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Dell PowerEdge R210 II MDT/PDQ | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5505 VPN  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch

After 2 months of hard work without any modding, its time for a scratch build :)

Looking good... I'm following this.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Damn I've actually been looking for the tristellar where did you buy it or is this just based off the Tristellar? Also "Akula" as in the Russian submarine? Anyways goodluck!

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

This confuses me, is it gonna be made from some sort of plexiglass and then you'll put some other material or vinyl fabric? I see the material is transparent but in the render it is not. Anyway seems awesome.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

looks great, subbed(if you're not going for the inside looks, you might want to take a look into a giant air cooled heatsink, just like this one)

link one:                            http://cdn.eteknix.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Mounted_6.jpg

link two:                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knkb1WNc2w4

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

This is going to be a very nice build.

@HCP : On the photo with the saw in the background ,the thing looks pretty tiny. How large will the end result be?

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

This confuses me, is it gonna be made from some sort of plexiglass and then you'll put some other material or vinyl fabric? I see the material is transparent but in the render it is not. Anyway seems awesome.

Material is only used because its strong and easy to build with.

Can be painted, sanded and vinyl wrapped pretty easy. I will probably do both.

Damn I've actually been looking for the tristellar where did you buy it or is this just based off the Tristellar? Also "Akula" as in the Russian submarine? Anyways goodluck!

I only took the outer shape from the Tristellar case, not the case itself.

I only took the outer shape from the Tristellar case, not the case itself.

Alright thanks for clearing that up, yours looks like its gonna be another unique case.

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

This is going to be a very nice build.

@HCP : On the photo with the saw in the background ,the thing looks pretty tiny. How large will the end result be?

Thats only one panel of the case, it has 120 panels on the outside ;)

I think it will be around a mATX case, maybe a small ATX case.

500mm high, 520mm deep and 260mm wide.

A mini update.
The first half is done, made a jig to glue all parts the same angles.
And, the parts are only glued, no finish work done!

Now to the fun part, glue 63 more parts together + supports :P

project-akula11.jpg