Basement Water Cooling Project (No More Remote Trigger - July/8/2016)

That's quite alright. Read the post, and I don't think I'm going to follow suit with your suggestion. While the ability for the hottest water to be available cooling at any given time is good, having the pump able to suck in un-cooled water is bad, and I feel would cause the effect to be negligible for water that will be moving as fast as it's moving. On a 560mm x 80mm radiator, I feel like the temps in the system will be in the very low 30's to mid-high 20's at all times anyways.

On 5 460mm x 30mm Radiators, the LTT team managed to have all 5 of their editing workstations land around those temp marks, so I'm confident I'm all set.

I would also have to become VERY VERY picky about which reservoir I used if I took that route. If the whole system was MUCH larger, then I could see this working out. Like if it was a 15-20 gallon tank or bigger.

I appreciate the suggestion though :)

If it's going in the basement you could really have an absurdly large reservoir.  50 gallon plastic garbage can for example :)

That volume of water would probably take hours to heat up with no rad.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

If it's going in the basement you could really have an absurdly large reservoir.  50 gallon plastic garbage can for example :)

That volume of water would probably take hours to heat up with no rad.

Yeah I was hoping to have it be a couple gallons at least. Maybe 2-5. I just don't know if I want to ghetto rig one, or see if I can find something good. Certainly not gonna buy one like what Linus had. Preferably, I'd like to be able to open it, or at least fully clean it so it wont shed anything into the loop. Seems like a thick plastic res might be best, but idk.

Edit: dude I should buy a zalman reserator (the original, really tall one if it's still being sold) and use that as a double radiator / res unit xD

Garbage can isn't as crazy as you might think since it will come with a lid and you can run a ring of tape around it to further seal it.  Specifically something like: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-Roughneck-32-Gal-Black-Round-Trash-Can-with-Lid-1778013/100656030  

I've learned garbage cans / recycle bins and sterrilite containers are the most cost effective way to hold water.  Tried building my own...never again.

Cut some slots in it for the hoses to run in, done and done.  You might need a small submersible fountain pump (also at home depot) to prime your loop enough so the main pump can take over....I have to do this with my setup.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Garbage can isn't as crazy as you might think since it will come with a lid and you can run a ring of tape around it to further seal it.  Specifically something like: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubbermaid-Roughneck-32-Gal-Black-Round-Trash-Can-with-Lid-1778013/100656030  

I've learned garbage cans / recycle bins and sterrilite containers are the most cost effective way to hold water.  Tried building my own...never again.

Cut some slots in it for the hoses to run in, done and done.  You might need a small submersible fountain pump (also at home depot) to prime your loop enough so the main pump can take over....I have to do this with my setup.

Maybe. If I have the whole setup sitting on the floor of the basement, I can route the outlet from the garbage can to go right into the pump at a downward angle, making that unnecessary. I might go with a one gallon jug or something if all else fails. I still want it to be decent quality though.

Might want to look at RO storage tanks.  They are used for holding a few gallons of water after running through a reverse osmosis water treatment system for home installations.  They will be sterile and about the size you are looking for.

Some of them look pretty decent as well (5.5 gallons linked):

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-5182-ro-water-storage-tank-55-gal-powder-coated-steel.aspx?utm_source=BingShopping&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=Product&utm_term=ROT-5.5&gdftrk=gdfV213098_a_7c3846_a_7c14688_a_7c5182_6298_0

Might want to look at RO storage tanks.  They are used for holding a few gallons of water after running through a reverse osmosis water treatment system for home installations.  They will be sterile and about the size you are looking for.

Some of them look pretty decent as well (5.5 gallons linked):

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-5182-ro-water-storage-tank-55-gal-powder-coated-steel.aspx?utm_source=BingShopping&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=Product&utm_term=ROT-5.5&gdftrk=gdfV213098_a_7c3846_a_7c14688_a_7c5182_6298_0

Maybe not that one, but on the same website I found

https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-3681-ro-water-storage-tank-32-gal-powder-coated-steel.aspx

Literally perfect.

Edit: On amazon, even cheaper, same one. More perfect.

http://www.amazon.com/PA-E-RO-122-Reverse-Osmosis-pressure/dp/B00A7GFVI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434952936&sr=8-1&keywords=RO-122

I think I just gave a bad suggestion, not quite what I was thinking at first glance.  All the small water tanks look like they are pre-charged and have only one inlet...

I think I just gave a bad suggestion, not quite what I was thinking at first glance.  All the small water tanks look like they are pre-charged and have only one inlet...

Yeah you know, as I've been looking at it, idk if these will allow for a free-flow of water. And no additional inlet is a problem.

Garbage can idea is not that bad, though the price of the coolant may be quite a lot to fill it.

You could always to to a metalwork shop and get a custom enclosure made out of 3mm (1/8th inch) copper or coated aluminium. They should be able to drill holes and thread them for you, and maybe even coat the aluminium for you so it is not a mixed-metal loop. You could even get them to create a mounting bracket for the pump and radiator so it's all in a single, compact unit.

Wow great concept and love to see this come together ;)

As said the main reservoir for the radiator loop doesn't need to be a huge tank in any way something like a 5 gallon pail will suffice for a loop like that.

You could always to to a metalwork shop and get a custom enclosure made out of 3mm (1/8th inch) copper or coated aluminium. They should be able to drill holes and thread them for you, and maybe even coat the aluminium for you so it is not a mixed-metal loop. You could even get them to create a mounting bracket for the pump and radiator so it's all in a single, compact unit.

even plated aluminum is no good since one tiny flaw and you have a problem then if he gets a metal one made out of anything but steel/alum hes fine copper brass nickel ect

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

even plated aluminum is no good since one tiny flaw and you have a problem then if he gets a metal one made out of anything but steel/alum hes fine copper brass nickel ect

If you get it done properly, there will be no imperfections. If you get a nickel plated block and use an aluminium radiator and aluminium reservoir then it should be fine. Brass may be neat though, but copper would be the best due to its little chemical reactivity and excellent thermal transfer properties.

If you get it done properly, there will be no imperfections. If you get a nickel plated block and use an aluminium radiator and aluminium reservoir then it should be fine. Brass may be neat though, but copper would be the best due to its little chemical reactivity and excellent thermal transfer properties.

with aluminum the risk is too high that's why the Maximus vii think it was heatsink was a joke it was aluminum insides no if the fluid is incontact with it no aluminum . also no one want to replace all there tubing and blocks and fittings if they have a issue from it the alum and other metals will eat the shit out of each other

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

with aluminum the risk is too high that's why the Maximus vii think it was heatsink was a joke it was aluminum insides no if the fluid is incontact with it no aluminum

You can run aluminum, copper, nickel and any dissimilar metal in a loop with the proper fluids that are designed for dissimilar metals, a tank made of copper or brass would be great but the cost of that would be pretty steep for a large tank.

I might have missed it in the 5 pages, but when does the construction start?

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

I might have missed it in the 5 pages, but when does the construction start?

August, after VidCon. I'll begin purchasing the parts then.

Update - Shopping Cart Adventures / Basement configuration?:

Edit: Here's an update for how I'll likely wall mount the system in the basement. And yes, that's 2 res's I may use. I might even use 3-4 400mm tube reservoirs to look positively awesome, allow for wall mounting so the system doesn't develop mad airbubbles whenever it's turned off. All I need is enough reservoir space where, if all the water drained downstairs, those wouldn't fully fill up. So it'd be slightly overkill, but could be awesome.

bPG4Td8.png

So here's much of what I need to buy for this system. This doesn't show the 3-MDQ-SC pump, and the radiator that I might get some local friends to make, but that's why I added extra barbs to the cart.

Also, I'm not sure what I need to be looking for in terms of the adapters needed for the 3-MDQ-SC to accept the 3/8" x 5/8" tubing. Obviously just a barb is fine, but I'm not sure what to be looking for w/ the end that requires a female connector to go over it. If I can just stretch the tubing over it, I might.

The quick disconnects are for upstairs and downstairs, which is why I have 4 of them. I think it's important to be able to quick disconnect the system both upstairs and downstairs.

I'll likely be going to home depot for the copper pipe and 1/4" screw fittings for each end

Otherwise, I feel like I'm doing well here, and I'll purchase it after MineCon (July 4th weekend). If anyone has anything to add, go for it!

pV6qk9h.png

yGJlFRX.png

I suggest you change the CPU water block Watercool Heatkiller IV Pro as it is currently the king in terms of thermal performance.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/04/22/watercool-heatkiller-iv-cpu-water-block-review/5/

I suggest you change the GPU water block to EK the best core cooling or Aquacomputer Kryographics for the best vrm cooling

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/04/07/gtx-980-water-block-round-up/

As for the radiator, I suggest you change it to EK Coolstream XE as it is the highest performing rad atm.

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/06/03/black-ice-gtx/5/

As for the Quick Disconnect, I suggest you change it to Koolance QD4 as you wont be installing it in a G 1/4 thread and QD4 is less restrictive than QD3 (though it is bigger and it is only available for 1/2" ID and 3/4" OD so you would have to stretch the tube by putting it in a boiling water)

http://www.xtremerigs.net/2013/07/03/phobya-qdcs/

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

If there isn't anything terribly wrong with the components themselves, I'm not gonna changed them out. If it's a half a degree - 1 degree of difference, I don't really care. Aesthetics mean a LOT to me for internal PC components.

Though I'll definitely take note for the quick disconnect system, thanks :)

Update! I have purchased MOST of the items. I'm gonna go to home depot to find a suitable reservoir and get the copper pipe, and when everything gets here, I'll take the pump there to ensure I get the right fitting / coupler for it, since it's the only odd item.

I also swapped the QD3 fittings for QD4 fittings per suggestion for better flow-rate. Otherwise, mostly the same. The pump is a 3-MDQ-SC.

good luck  to you and we want videos of it  .do the main part of it everything but the pc then do that .thats the simplest way so you know you dont have leaks in your walls ect . and again good luck to you

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler