How to fix or reduce micro stuttering in every game

Just signed up to say thanks very much my 970 was driving me nuts with micro stutter bf4 and was about to rma it but this fixed it.

Many thanks op and i shall spread the word:)

Just wanted to say that this fix made my Fallout 4 gameplay a lot more smooth. This is perhaps not a fix for everyone, make sure you read up about it before you try anything like editing reg files, but for my comp it removed the micro-stutters I got all the time. Now I only have to deal with tearing!

PC specs:

FX 8320 @ 4.8ghz

2x R9 290's at stock

16gb gskill 1600 running @ 1866

*I actually sometimes see white lines flash across the screen in Fallout 4 after doing this tweak, mostly during dialog, however this may be do to a number of things considering my computer and overclocks. This has not affected stability and I prefer it to micro-stutter. There is a pretty good chance it is related to god-rays as that is the biggest issue for Fallout 4 and AMD cards currently, and I am unable to turn them off.

I will run these tweaks separately at some point to try and pinpoint the issue.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Unfortunately, this did not fix the microstuttering in games :/ i7 6700k 16GB ram GTX 1080 on an ASUS PG279Q, I can pull 100-120 FPS and still get microstuttering... Are there any adverse effects or any side effects of these commands? Since it didn't fix anything for me, should I set it back to default?

Unfortunately, I didn't notice any difference with this fix either. But I'm trying other steps to correct the stuttering. 

Like Woohah asked, I'm curious too if there is any others effects since my system has these inputs now?

On 21/06/2015 at 7:52 PM, tommi_6o said:

Edit: This is proven to work and you should enable these commands by default even if you might not have any problems at the moment.

This helped me to get rid of micro stuttering in GTA 5 on Windows 10 so I thought I should share it.

1. Run cmd as administrator

2. Type (bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes)

3. Profit?

I don't know if many people knew about this but hopefully it helps you guys out.

Doesn't it work in windows ten too ?

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

This is more to explain what this command does, such that you understand what you're doing to your system. I really hate just going around and changing core OS options without understanding what they do. Because inevitably, some application wanted that, and it breaks and I can't figure out why because well I forgot that change I made two weeks ago.

Anyway, here's what the documentation says:

Enables and disables dynamic timer tick feature. The option is available starting with Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012.

Note  This option should only be used for debugging.

This answers the question "Does this work on Windows 7?" And that answer is "No."

So what is this "Dynamic Timer Tick" feature?

The operating system runs a timer that fires off at a periodic rate to check if something needs servicing. Say for example, a program went to sleep because it's waiting on another program to release the storage drive, but now its ready. When the timer ticks, the operating system will notice the program wants the drive now and gives it to that program. Up until Windows 8, this was a fixed timer.

After Windows 8, Microsoft made it so not only can the periodic rate can be changed, but it can defer servicing applications until the next tick. So say you had a tick period of 5ms and then you extend this out to 50ms. Any applications that wanted to be serviced at the next 5ms tick will now be serviced at the 50ms tick.

This was mostly a power saving measure, because the OS isn't waking up the CPU as often when there's nothing going on. However the thing is that applications can request a faster tick period. Chrome did this until recently and kept the timer tick at the fastest possible.

So what does this mean with regards to microstuttering?

I don't really know, other than taking a stab that some games or the driver or something else isn't being serviced in a timely manner. I recall there used to be a benchmark tool called DPC Latency Checker that some websites used. However, it's fallen out of use because of the Dynamic Timer Tick feature always giving the tool a false reading.

Do you have to do this every time you restart the pc?

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

• 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 17/12/2017 at 8:23 AM, Wikiforce said:

well guys, after applying this tweak i am getting heavy stuttering in most games. How can i revert it?

Me too, it helped on Witcher immensely, and now even going around the desktop is a mess, can I simply enter the opposite of these codes?

2 minutes ago, padams0511 said:

Me too, it helped on Witcher immensely, and now even going around the desktop is a mess, can I simply enter the opposite of these codes?

It worked for one night like a charm, and now is totally unusable.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to try this out as soon as I get home. I do get a lot of microstuttering even with a G-Sync monitor and I'm tired of it. I've got a 7700K overclocked @ 5 GHz and two GTX 1080s that are overclocked @ 2101 MHz. I will update this soon as I get home from work.

• 2 months later...

time to necro here and say that this wont get rid of the stutter you get after hours upon hours of GPU mining, nor does restarting your graphics driver manually. just thought id put that out here for anyone else looking for a fix to that. only thing i know of would be a system restart :) 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necro this but since it is being suggested on reddit and alot of users come here I want to say that this might make things alot worse. I couldnt even play Apex anymore because the second I moved my mouse my fps droped from 130-165 to 30 and less. Also Nvidia control panel was having lags when I scrolled through it. System is an i7 9700k, strix 390f, rtx2070.

What fixed this was simply changing the commands like this:

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no

bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

After that you need to restart and it should be fixed.

• 7 months later...
On 7/1/2019 at 11:55 PM, 6r33n said:

Sorry to necro this but since it is being suggested on reddit and alot of users come here I want to say that this might make things alot worse. I couldnt even play Apex anymore because the second I moved my mouse my fps droped from 130-165 to 30 and less. Also Nvidia control panel was having lags when I scrolled through it. System is an i7 9700k, strix 390f, rtx2070.

What fixed this was simply changing the commands like this:

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick no

bcdedit /set useplatformclock false

After that you need to restart and it should be fixed.

13 minutes ago, Asryan said:

Is this still usefull on W10 ?

As Most people are already likely on Win10 (bar a decent amount, but a lot)
I'd say yes because there would be more information stating so...if it wasn't working in Win10 or wasn't needed.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

• 2 years later...

Hey everyone!

I just want to add a few thoughts because I stumbled upon this today, and doing this pretty much made my fairly powerful pc absolutely unusable. To give you an idea, my pc generally only needs about 3-4 seconds to start my very stacked (600+ tabs) browser right after login, but when I applied this the cpu usage skyrocketed, and the system was unusable for a good 10 minutes after login, and stayed insanely slow even after, so applying this might not be a good idea on a recent system, or possibly on windows 11. Let me share some of my specs so that you can put this in context:

CPU: i7-12700k (performance cores overclocked to 5 ghz on the slowest, 5.2 on the fastest, 4 ghz on efficiency cores)
motherboard: Asus strix z690 gaming-g wifi
memory: 32 GBs of 6000mhz kingston ddr5
gpu: 2080 TI
CPU and GPU are on custom waterloop

If you apply these settings on w11 or on a similarly recent machine, I advise you to refrain from applying any additional settings in the same restart so that you can isolate the problem in case you face something similar to what I did, and if performance dips, then I advise you to try reverting them because that immediately solved the issue for me.

@Shouten thanks for your heads-up in this old thread. Was about to try this method!