Zenfone 2 bootloader unlocked

Aniallation

Source: http://www.xda-developers.com/asus-zenfone-2-bootloader-unlocked-without-asus/

Thread links:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=61426871&postcount=26

http://forum.xda-developers.com/zenfone2/general/congrats-to-bootlocker-unlocked-t3138547

On come the custom ROMs! Considering the popularity of this phone, I wouldn't be surprised if third-party developers, especially on XDA, get a well-optimized and less bloated ROM together before Asus does.

The ZenFone 2 came out and made plenty of buzz due to its great package for a great prize, but the one thing that made XDA users hesitate with the purchase more than anything was its locked bootloader. We only had mere promises of an unlocking tool, and it seems that our impatient users found, once again, a way to get us the goods ahead of time and bypass the wait.

XDA member shakalaca played around with ADB as many XDA users do in their spare time and managed to find an (allegedly risky) bootloader unlock method which only requires root and does not need any communication with ASUS. You can find his method on the linked post, but XDA Senior Member ravian29 made a thread detailing and expanding upon the guide that also serves as a discussion hub. The process reportedly works with the latest update, and while it is a fast procedure, there are risks involved so read the thread and opening post very carefully, and execute steps with precision.

A0a75JK.png

"Rawr XD"

I might actually look into getting one now as the value is insane!

The one plus one is better.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I heard somewhere about issues with the touchscreen and the phone getting really hot though?

All of my friends have it, and they have not had any of those problems. And regarding the phone being hot, that happens with every phone, it's gonna get warm if you use it too much.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Aw yes, that's awesome to hear. This news makes the Zenfone 2 an even more tempting offer.

COMIC SANS

I heard somewhere about issues with the touchscreen and the phone getting really hot though?

All of my friends have it, and they have not had any of those problems. And regarding the phone being hot, that happens with every phone, it's gonna get warm if you use it too much.

My and my dad's OPO have no issue with the touchscreen or heat.

"Rawr XD"

That is true. My LG G3 gets hot when I'm running a lot of apps and at full brightness. My causal phone use doesn't heat up my phone.

My and my dad's OPO have no issue with the touchscreen or heat.

As for the touchscreen issue. Some users have reported it and even OnePlus made a video on how to fix the issue. I guess it's the luck of the draw if the software you install will be more buggy than others.

Aw yes, that's awesome to hear. This news makes the Zenfone 2 an even more tempting offer.

Didn't they say from day one that it will be bootloader unlocked? Or, did someone finally find a method to do it? The Zenfone 2 is a good choice depending on your carrier and area. I was going to get it, in Canada, but it costs $400 (top model) while Koodo Mobile (my carrier) was selling the LG G3 for $360.

Didn't they say from day one that it will be bootloader unlocked? Or, did someone finally find a method to do it? The Zenfone 2 is a good choice depending on your carrier and area. I was going to get it, in Canada, but it costs $400 (top model) while Koodo Mobile (my carrier) was selling the LG G3 for $360.

I don't ever recall ASUS saying that the Zenfone 2 would have an unlocked bootloader... The Zenfone 2 is an unlocked phone in the sense that you can use it on most wireless networks. 

COMIC SANS

I don't ever recall ASUS saying that the Zenfone 2 would have an unlocked bootloader... The Zenfone 2 is an unlocked phone in the sense that you can use it on most wireless networks. 

I thought they did or maybe a reviewer said that. I remember watching a video where someone said that it will be bootloader unlocked. Maybe it was going to be an official method which will probably be released in "Valve time". I know the phone is carrier unlocked but I swear I heard/read somewhere that it will be bootloader unlocked as well.

Sorry for the misleading information.

EDIT: I wouldn't suggest bootloader unlocking your Zenfone 2 just yet, as apparently you have to root your phone (of course) but at the moment you can't unroot it.

EDIT 2: Did more research and if you bootloader unlock your Zenfone 2, it will void your warranty. So, maybe the information I was told/read was from the rumors (back before it released) and when I typed that post, I must have thought it was from after it was revealed/released.

Funny because i got mine friday and even though i love the hardware (even if it gets kinda hot when downloading a lot of stuff... not too sure why yet) i hate the god awful zenfone UI.

I am actually planning on using it for a couple weeks and then returning it. Ill buy it again if someone puts out a stock android rom for it, then i would be 100% for it.

Either that or ill wait for the next nexus phone to come out and pray it isnt like the last.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)