Microsoft will give you Windows 10 for free if you test it

SansVarnic
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Ok update. Microsoft has clarified further. And it is like I was saying:

-> If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you did a clean install of it. Your license remain genuine as long as you REMAIN in the beta program. If you leave, you need to buy Windows 10.

-> If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you upgraded Windows 7 or 8 to it, then you can leave any time the Windows insider program, and revert back to the officially released Windows 10 build. Your license remains valid.

-> If you have Windows XP or Vista (or older and somehow try and get Windows 10 for free), or a pirated version of Windows and you want to get legit by not paying. You can't. The best you can do is the first point above, where you can get Windows 10 for free, but you become a beta tester. As a beta test, or Windows Insider, they are increase telemetry data collecting from you, you use an unstable build of Windows, you are the tester of Windows latest Windows updates, including security updates, which may results in data loss, or program compatibility issues, and be forced to upgrade to the latest build as they come, but you are exchanging all that, to have for free Windows 10.

-> Microsoft says, if you want to have Windows 10 for free, and you are currently running Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you want to get out, and remain to the last official release version, and you did a clean install of Windows 10 Preview: You have no choice to format, install back Windows 7 or 8, and upgrade to Windows 10. Do it before the free upgrade offer ends to secure your Windows 10 license.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

Got a source for that? Last time I checked it had not been confirmed.

source? every other windows release that had an upgrade option.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

(I just mean people are freaking out like "OMG FREEEE WINDOWSSSS...aren't they going to go bankrupt?"  

and the amount of people that use computers makes the custom building community look insignificant - they will always get their 15 dollars from dell and hp.)

Yeah I know i just posted the news.

Edit: 

Also, the custom building community often have the knowledge to get pirated windows copies anyway.

SHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Cant say that.....

You're right almost the cops called on me once for "possessing the knowledge how to" 

(never did anything but have the knowledge and fingers to hit keys)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

You're right almost the cops called on me once for "possessing the knowledge how to" 

(never did anything but have the knowledge and fingers to hit keys)

That's funny. ;)

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

This upgrade is far different than all the previous upgrades.

It's free, but only free during a limited period.

It will only be free if you do an upgrade, not a clean install.

The update is delivered through Windows update and not through an ISO.

The entire process is completely different than previous Windows upgrades so I would like a source on me being able to upgrade my Windows 7 key to a Windows 10 key, not just assumptions.

when you upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8 when it launched for the super cheap price, you can not clean install windows 8 with that key,  so you have to install win 7, do updates,  upgrade to 8, do more updates then upgrade to 8.1,  its a pain in the ass.

but from what i can tell with win 10  if your on 7/8/8.1  once you do the "upgrade to 10" it gets you a win 10 key in which you can then use for a clean install.  so in the case of win 10 your going to be able to clean install but previous versions you could not clean install with an upgrade key.

I just did it, just in case. And if I can do a clean install with the current upgrade path with my desktop, then I just have one more extra license for my linux laptop (kinda wiped my hdd by accident, didnt have copy anymore, so I've been stuck with linux. Though it doesn't matter either way because its only for school work)

The entire process is completely different than previous Windows upgrades so I would like a source on me being able to upgrade my Windows 7 key to a Windows 10 key, not just assumptions.

once you upgrade from 7 to 10  you can then use the key for fresh installs

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9334/microsoft-confirms-you-can-clean-install-windows-10-after-upgrading

Ok. I don't know what to do here, you guys keep making threads everywhere on this forum.

It is getting annoying.

As I said in another thread (which I think this is the or 4th time I am copying and pasting this):

Yes, but it must be noted that you are forced to have a joined Microsoft account, forced to the Insider program (meaning be ready to upgrade your Windows every month minimum, so if you have a bandwidth cap or not fast Internet, that could be a problem), and also you'll be an unstable environment (beta OS), which could have critical bug which could results in permanent data loss (and this is not one of those rare thing. It happened on Windows 10 beta, Windows 7 beta, and I THINK Vista beta as well, but don't quote me that.. its been too long), or unexpected system re-install.

So don't jump of joy.

well, we will see once the os is released.

To be clear, for previous versions, you still had to do the upgrade before you could do a clean install. But once that was done, the key was at that point registered to the new operating system. I see no reason why they would change that now.  Just my thoughts on the situation.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

well, we will see once the os is released.

To be clear, for previous versions, you still had to do the upgrade before you could do a clean install. But once that was done, the key was at that point registered to the new operating system. I see no reason why they would change that now.  Just my thoughts on the situation.

when i bought windows 8 when it 1st came out it was an upgrade key, therefore if i wanted to do a clean install i had to install win 7 1st, then upgrade to win 8

I remember that they said once that it upgrade key will be valid. I'm just not sure about them saying 'on same device' meaning if you change hardware it may differ =/

More clarification needed. But it would suck if they limit it like that.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

when you upgrade from windows 7 to windows 8 when it launched for the super cheap price, you can not clean install windows 8 with that key,  so you have to install win 7, do updates,  upgrade to 8, do more updates then upgrade to 8.1,  its a pain in the ass.

but from what i can tell with win 10  if your on 7/8/8.1  once you do the "upgrade to 10" it gets you a win 10 key in which you can then use for a clean install.  so in the case of win 10 your going to be able to clean install but previous versions you could not clean install with an upgrade key.

You can, i have done it many times with previous operating systems. You do have to do the update so your key can get re-registered, but after that, you are free to do a clean install. I believe windows 10 will be no different.

I remember that they said once that it upgrade key will be valid. I'm just not sure about them saying 'on same device' meaning if you change hardware it may differ =/

More clarification needed. But it would suck if they limit it like that.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9334/microsoft-confirms-you-can-clean-install-windows-10-after-upgrading

"Gabe states:

Once you upgrade W10 w/ the free upgrade offer you will able to clean reinstall Windows 10 on same device any time"

"Gabe states:

Once you upgrade W10 w/ the free upgrade offer you will able to clean reinstall Windows 10 on same device any time"

Awesome! No need to speculate anymore :P

when i bought windows 8 when it 1st came out it was an upgrade key, therefore if i wanted to do a clean install i had to install win 7 1st, then upgrade to win 8

In your case, you can clean install Windows 8 directly.

Since Windows 7, Microsoft implemented a way to do this.

When you install Windows 8, install clean as expected, Once done Activation will fail, that is fine.

Open the registry editor (regedit), and go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/

Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0

Then open the command prompt as true admin, and execute: slmgr /rearm

This step will refresh the Windows activation system to acknowledge the change in the registry, which is a flag that says that a previous version of Windows was detected.

A success dialog box will show, click OK, restart your system, and you can now activate Windows.

If you have Media Center add-on pack, be sure to do it AFTER Windows 8 has been activated.

We have no information on Windows 10.

"Gabe states:

That is for OEM systems (Dell, HP, Acer, etc). We have no information for System Builder (what WE call incorrectly OEM license)

Ok. I don't know what to do here, you guys keep making threads everywhere on this forum.

It is getting annoying.

As I said in another thread (which I think this is the or 4th time I am copying and pasting this):

Yes, but it must be noted that you are forced to have a joined Microsoft account, forced to the Insider program (meaning be ready to upgrade your Windows every month minimum, so if you have a bandwidth cap or not fast Internet, that could be a problem), and also you'll be an unstable environment (beta OS), which could have critical bug which could results in permanent data loss (and this is not one of those rare thing. It happened on Windows 10 beta, Windows 7 beta, and I THINK Vista beta as well, but don't quote me that.. its been too long), or unexpected system re-install.

So don't jump of joy.

I said this, it says this in the article.

I don't think half those posting are reading the article.

Thanks by the way.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Thanks by the way.

you are forced to be in the insider program to get this os  " you will receive the Windows 10 final release build and remain activated. Once you have successfully installed this build and activated, you will also be able to clean install on that PC from final media if you want to start over fresh" 

what i get from this paragraph is once it release i can fresh install the final release insted of being in the  TP build

Thanks by the way.

Yup. I marked my post as answer (for a day or so), in the hope that people will read it.

I know you get a key.....

Previewers will get a download of the full version not the upgrade packet. Hence the article.

EVERYONE will have the option to download the ISO and use said upgrade key.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

What if I used it before, but switched back to Win8.1? I'm on insider program

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

What if I used it before, but switched back to Win8.1? I'm on insider program

you need to have used Build 10130 and have it registered to your microsoft account

Well, virtual machine time

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

All hail lord Gabe from Microsoft. :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list