Microsoft will give you Windows 10 for free if you test it

SansVarnic
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Ok update. Microsoft has clarified further. And it is like I was saying:

-> If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you did a clean install of it. Your license remain genuine as long as you REMAIN in the beta program. If you leave, you need to buy Windows 10.

-> If you have Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you upgraded Windows 7 or 8 to it, then you can leave any time the Windows insider program, and revert back to the officially released Windows 10 build. Your license remains valid.

-> If you have Windows XP or Vista (or older and somehow try and get Windows 10 for free), or a pirated version of Windows and you want to get legit by not paying. You can't. The best you can do is the first point above, where you can get Windows 10 for free, but you become a beta tester. As a beta test, or Windows Insider, they are increase telemetry data collecting from you, you use an unstable build of Windows, you are the tester of Windows latest Windows updates, including security updates, which may results in data loss, or program compatibility issues, and be forced to upgrade to the latest build as they come, but you are exchanging all that, to have for free Windows 10.

-> Microsoft says, if you want to have Windows 10 for free, and you are currently running Windows 10 Insider Preview, and you want to get out, and remain to the last official release version, and you did a clean install of Windows 10 Preview: You have no choice to format, install back Windows 7 or 8, and upgrade to Windows 10. Do it before the free upgrade offer ends to secure your Windows 10 license.

Source: http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/06/19/upcoming-changes-to-windows-10-insider-preview-builds/

But how do we prove to them that we were using Technical Preview? I too used it for like 3 months.

If you install it and become a part of their Insider program is the information I've gathered.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

What if you stop running the preview? are you still entitled to a key?

I'm unsure, but because I can prove purchase I'm going to see what happens. Might get myself a second key.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

So do you have to be currently running the OS preview or just registered as a tester?

I ran it for a few months on my Surface Pro 2 and had to switch back because it was just too unstable for daily use.

Yes. You need to update to RTM using the preview build, then you can reinstall it with a clean ISO.

Just install the preview on the 28th :P 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Sweet. I've been messing with it in the dell. Its motherboard died in the middle of trying it out, but my new one is arriving supposed to be this week. I'd love a free copy of Windows 10 for testing it.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

As long as you have signed up for the preview and have downloaded it at least once you will receive the release version on July 29th.

This will be the full OS not the upgrade. You will receive a key with the download as well, at least this is my understanding.

If you chose to stay in the preview you will receive additional early releases before official updates are sent out. If you opt out of the preview stuff after receiving the download it does not change anything, your version will still be good and you will just receive the official updates like everyone else. 

People are making to hard and are thinking way to much about this. Read the article.  :D

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Sounds very good. The only annoying thing with this is that once again Microsoft causes confusion and raises more questions.

Will I be able to transfer the license from a VM to another PC?

Will I be able to do reinstalls on the machine with the free license I got from testing?

It's pretty good news even if the answer to both questions is no, but if the answer is yes then it's really good news.

Really? Well then, I'm gonna install it on my rig on another drive and use it randomly. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I suppose I should sign up to get a key on all my computers.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Sounds very good. The only annoying thing with this is that once again Microsoft causes confusion and raises more questions.

Will I be able to transfer the license from a VM to another PC?

Will I be able to do reinstalls on the machine with the free license I got from testing?

It's pretty good news even if the answer to both questions is no, but if the answer is yes then it's really good news.

I imagine it will be the same as any other install, as long as your not using it on 2 pc's with the same key at the same time your fine.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Really? Well then, I'm gonna install it on my rig on another drive and use it randomly. :P

Yeah, I have an old 320 GB drive I think I'll install it on just be able to get the Win 10 key for a full install. I guess it'll be tied to my board though.

I suppose I should sign up to get a key on all my computers.

I am pretty sure its one key per user sign up, not per pc.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I am pretty sure its one key per user sign up, not per pc.

Then how would I be able to do a clean install on each one or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

I imagine it will be the same as any other install, as long as your not using it on 2 pc's with the same key at the same time your fine.

Then how would I be able to do a clean install on each one or am I thinking about this all wrong?

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Thanks

The only people who should care about this are people who are on an OS that isn't eligible for the free upgrade, like Vista and XP. If you are using one of these OSes and you help test out Win 10, you'll get the free upgrade. Anyone on win 7, 8 or 8.1 should not care about this.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

The only people who should care about this are people who are on an OS that isn't eligible for the free upgrade, like Vista and XP. If you are using one of these OSes and you help test out Win 10, you'll get the free upgrade. Anyone on win 7, 8 or 8.1 should not care about this.

Not necessarily true there is a difference from an upgrade to a full version.

I don't like upgrades I prefer a Clean install which this means good news to me and I use Win7.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

I don't like upgrades I prefer a Clean install which this means good news to me and I use Win7.

there is nothing stopping you from doing a clean install with the "upgrade". All it does is assigns your current windows key to a windows 10 key. There is nothing at all that prevents you from doing this.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

there is nothing stopping you from doing a clean install with the "upgrade". All it does is assigns your current windows key to a windows 10 key. There is nothing at all that prevents you from doing this.

Got a source for that? Last time I checked it had not been confirmed.

There is no difference. When you upgrade you will get a key. Eventually, MS will release and ISO and will let anyone reinstall at anytime. Whatever key you get for upgrading will work.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I have never had a clean install with an upgrade.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

There is no difference. When you upgrade you will get a key. Eventually, MS will release and ISO and will let anyone reinstall at anytime. Whatever key you get for upgrading will work.

I know you get a key.....

Previewers will get a download of the full version not the upgrade packet. Hence the article.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

The only people who benefit from this are custom builders...yep which is a super small fraction of the pc industry (although super important)

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

The only people who benefit from this are custom builders...yep which is a super small fraction of the pc industry (although super important)

Whats your point?

This is a forum for custom builders, techies, etc............

*edit

I missed part in the parenthesis...  -_-

Edited by SansVarnic

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Whats your point?

This is a forum for custom builders, techies, etc............

*edit

I missed part in the parenthesis...  -_-

I just mean people are freaking out like "OMG FREEEE WINDOWSSSS...aren't they going to go bankrupt?"  

and the amount of people that use computers makes the custom building community look insignificant - they will always get their 15 dollars from dell and hp.

Edit: 

Also, the custom building community often have the knowledge to get pirated windows copies anyway.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

(I just mean people are freaking out like "OMG FREEEE WINDOWSSSS...aren't they going to go bankrupt?"  

and the amount of people that use computers makes the custom building community look insignificant - they will always get their 15 dollars from dell and hp.)

Yeah I know i just posted the news.

Edit: 

Also, the custom building community often have the knowledge to get pirated windows copies anyway.

SHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Cant say that.....

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER