Windows 98... how to explain to a customer why it's not good anymore

Today has been an interesting day, some guy came in and bought a printer for a PC with ''Windows 8'' as he said, then he came back in and told me it wouldn't work and he had Windows 98SE and why it doesn't work with that no more...

I explained to him technology moves on, and a 15 year old computer wont work with a brand new HP wireless printer and nothing new would even work with it. I convinced him to keep the Printer and to use it on a new PC as he was thinking of upgrading which now means he's halfway there to getting himself online. 

This happens around here more often that I thought it would when I moved here, and people even wondering why their 17 year old PC with Windows 95 on it has failed or not working no more or even why developers wont make software for it no more!

What do you guys think about this? 

Intel Core I5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, AMD Radeon HD6950, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard, 8GB DDR3 Corsair RAM, Corsair H100, 60GB Agility3 OS drive + 1TB WD Blue drive. 

I use this rig mainly for facebook and emails. Pointless effort to be honest!

Maybe because its to darn old? ;p

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Yeah, but respectfully telling a customer this can be hard because they could think we are trying to pull a fast one when we are not...

Intel Core I5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, AMD Radeon HD6950, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard, 8GB DDR3 Corsair RAM, Corsair H100, 60GB Agility3 OS drive + 1TB WD Blue drive. 

Yeah, but respectfully telling a customer this can be hard because they could think we are trying to pull a fast one when we are not...

Tell them that many applications won't run well, if at all, on a computer that old. Show them something like Google Earth in 3D mode and show them what they're missing out on that a modern HTPC can do.

Meh, not much to say. People don't like spending money if it does what they need it to do.

\

Meh, not much to say. People don't like spending money if it does what they need it to do.

Yeah, but when it wont print because they have ruined their print heads on the old printer by not printing frequently, it then becomes a problem. I'm sure he's going to buy another laptop from the local TV store but hopefully he ends up happy with the result and doesn't think we where arrogant to Windows 98. All his documents are done in MS office so it's transferable which isn't a problem :) 

Explain that Microsoft

The company that MAKES WINDOWS

has released several newer versions.

I believe support for Windows XP is now over or since 2014.

So WIn98 is to old..

Explain that

after Win98 SE, there was 2000, ME millenium, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and now Windows 8.

After telling him that, he should realize that there are several versions that have been released since Win98SE.. haha.

*note that there a probably more, versions of windows.. :P *

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

Dell P2715Q, 4K @t 60Hz :)

I guess some of the less tech savy or some from the older generation aren't used to the "throw away" technology of today. Going back 20 or 30 years. Things were made to last. That's why there are still 50 year old cars on the road, but in 50 years time you can guarantee there wont be any 2013 Ford Fiesta's on the road.

Do you guys understand what I'm getting at? :) 

I wish computer parts would last 17 years. :(

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

When the first automobiles came out they were loud and broke down alot. By the time Henry Ford was in full swing 90% of the problems had been solved. Intel core was Henry Ford and the i7 extreme is corvette. That old PC was an early version. While they don't need a corvette to get around town a Honda civic makes the entire ride alot more comfortable, not to mention how getting service on it it WAY easier.

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

I guess some of the less tech savy or some from the older generation aren't used to the "throw away" technology of today. Going back 20 or 30 years. Things were made to last. That's why there are still 50 year old cars on the road, but in 50 years time you can guarantee there wont be any 2013 Ford Fiesta's on the road.

A 2500K bought today will likely last until 2030. It will be technically obsolete by 2015, but it'll "work" for at least a decade after that.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

That is because company want to make money.. and make things obsolete.

There is a light bulb which runs for about 130 years now, IT still works!

They CAN make something last very long, but the company's dont want to because it's harder to sell you something new.. if you have something thats already working..

See: http://dotsub.com/view/aed3b8b2-1889-4df5-ae63-ad85f5572f27

CPU: i7 3930K 3.2Ghz on Noctua NH-U14S| RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance @1600Mhz + 32GB Kingston Beast @ 1866Mhz | MBO: Asus P9X79 | GPU: ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SSD: Samsung 840 PRO 256GB + Crucial M500 480GB  |  HDD: 2*3TB Seagate | PSU: Cooler Master 850m2 850W | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos Pure Black

Dell P2715Q, 4K @t 60Hz :)

That is because company want to make money.. and the sales guys

There is a light bulb which runs for about 130 years now, IT still works!

They CAN make something last very long, but the company's dont want to because it's harder to sell you something new.. if you have something thats already working..

See: http://dotsub.com/view/aed3b8b2-1889-4df5-ae63-ad85f5572f27

It sucks ass. :(

A 2500K bought today will likely last until 2030. It will be technically obsolete by 2015, but it'll "work" for at least a decade after that.

Yeah, that's great, when HDD's and SSD's reliably and continuously last that long (on the consumer level) then I'm all for it.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Tell them new computers have much better, brighter, larger screens to see icons easier. Also everything looks more "natural" and its much more secure because Microsoft no longer creates patches against viruses.

Case: Corsair 350D, Fans: 5 Noctua, PSU: Corsair AX 850W, Keyboard:....., Mouse:....

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper m5, CPU: i5-4670k, GPU: GTX 780 reference

SSD: Samsung 840 120GB, HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3000GB, RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 1600Mhz

ask him how old his car is lol if he's driving a 15 year old wreck then don't hold your hopes up in selling him a new PC, if it's only a couple years old ask him why he got rid of his last one.

I can understand still using Windows XP or 2000, but 98 wasn't even that good

Having sold my laptop to help fund my first PC build, I'm using a laptop with XP on it at the moment and it's still a solid operating system. 

after you tell them its not good anymore show them this

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Microsoft don't support that anymore.. And just tell them that the latest OS is good, that'll do to my grandpa

just switch it on and let it run for 5 mins and watch it crash 8 times ;)

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I frankly experience this a lot with my work. some guy brings in a pentium 4 running xp and the thing wasn't displaying right. I told them that their gpu failed and the guy is like 49 and has 2 kids with him around the age of 14 and 16, so the 16 year old having checked his email once and "knows how to plug in a computer" is now a computer "expert". And said so if we were to get a really awesome gpu it would run battlefield 3 right? I thinking quickly told them I would have to see what kind of port they have on the system and said to watch this video about the subject of bottlenecking on the monitor while I was doing that (I pulled up the linustechtips ncix video) so it turns out that it actually did have a pci express 16x slot... one of the kids had apparently while I was gone walked over to the gpu section of the superstore and was holding in his hand a gtx 690 and asked if it would work. Well... Technically yes but... "But what" said that guy who was with them who now seemed to be getting all defensive because he was not in his "element" working on cars at his autoparts store. 1st of all you only have a 250 watt psu and that would need to be upgraded. "ok". And you only have 512mb of ram... "so we'll buy a brand new power supply and as much ram as I can afford" But its getting old I said. "old, this computers only 7 years old" and thats when I snapped and started pointing all around the store "Look around you... the world has passed this pc by... no one is running xp anymore we have 8 core processors and 32 gigs of ram... not 40 gig ide hdds..." Listen i'm not gonna let you walk out of here screwed over with a gtx 690 in a pentium 4 system... because no one would be happy, For the same price I could build you a nice balanced i3 rig with tons of room to grow over 7 years. 

At the end of the day everyone was happy, but this is one of the more rare occasions where people are not stubborn and are willing to learn

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Best way i found to educate people is to compare cars to computers, explaining how lanes work,

power draw, frequency, compatibility and why it is the way it is; it gets to be to much.

People understand easy terms, an FX-8350 is like a V8, has 8 cores driving power, a cpu

is your engine etc.

I have a bunch of different ways to put terms, things i've learned over the years

to quickly explain to people without making them feel stupid.

CPU: AMD FX-8350 - Noctua NH-D14 | Asus Crosshair V Formula | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Plextor M5P Extreme 256GB SSD

GPU - Asus AMD Radeon 6950 Direct CU II 2GB |

Seasonic 1000 W Platinum | Cooler Master 690 ii Advanced | Asus VE248H + VE248Q

Tell them its like everything else in their lives. Things stop working after a while. You don't expect a 15 year old car to do everything a brand new one does.

I have gone through this countless of times and the conclusion is alot of people dont like change, and are scared that they need to learn new things. Best thing you can do is show them how cheap it is to build a new system these days. Back when there 98 pcs were new they payed 1.5k to 3k for it. Cheapness always persuades.

CPU- I7 7700K @ 4.4Ghz, RAM- 32 Gig Hyper X @ 2800 mhz , GPU - GTX 1080ti Strix 11gb , MOBO- Asrock Fatality Z270 , SSD :Kingston Hyper X SSD Fury and Samsung 500gig

My dad has 98 machines just to run some old CAD/CAM software that needs to use a parallel port for the program key hahah.

I've installed 98 on so many machines it's not funny, it's a nightmare

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"