AMD currently discussing breakup, spinoff, or split-up of the company (separation of divisions)

BiG StroOnZ

2uj4002.jpg

Chipmaker Advanced Micro Devices is at the initial stage of reviewing whether to split itself in two or spin off a business, seeking to reverse its fortunes and take on rival Intel Corp, according to three people familiar with the matter.

The deliberations are preliminary and no decision has been made, the people said. The review highlights Chief Executive Lisa Su's determination to consider every possible option to turn the company around.

AMD has asked a consulting firm to help it review its options and draw up scenarios on how a break-up or spin-off would work, the people said this week, asking not to be identified because the deliberations are confidential.

One option under consideration is separating AMD's graphics and licensing business from its server business, which sells processors that power data centers, one of the people said.

AMD had explored such a move in the past and decided against it, the people said. Su, however, who took over as CEO last October, judged that there is merit for the company to at least consider such a possibility again, the people added. There is no certainty that a split or spin-off will occur, the people cautioned.

Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/19/us-amd-split-idUSKBN0OZ2KP20150619

I like that Su is considering this option, because currently I think AMD has too much on their plate. And the more you take on, the less control you have. As we have seen this hasn't been so positive for AMD, so I believe like the one option they are considering; seperation of graphics and server business is a very qualified route for AMD to take. That way there can be one focus on graphics to take on NVIDIA then another focus on server for combating Intel.

We just need a trusted company to buy out AMD.

Samsung please. I don't want to see AMD go bankrupt sometime in a few years :(

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

C'mon, ATi.

thats not whats going on :/ its Amd consumer nad AMD corporate

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Honestly if we get Ati back and AMD just making CPU's everyone will be better off. AMD bought Ati and then things just went to shit within a few years.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Would hate to see AMD go. Would not like Nvidia controlling the market. Or Intel for that matter. Hopefully they can get things turned around which I hope Su is capable of.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

if this happens there will be lots of legal BS surrounding patent cross-licensing

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

If the split actually happen, I really want to see Samsung or maybe even Apple pick this up, that might be really interesting to see. (I know it is kind of unrealistic but it is just just my opinion)

| --- My Stuff --- |

Computer: Apple Late-2008 Macbook Pro ; -Haguro- build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/296613-wip-project-haguro-x99-hackintosh-workstation/|

Mobile Devices: Apple 32GB 1st gen Ipad Mini ; Apple 16GB Iphone 5s ; Apple Ipod Classic 80Gb 5th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 120Gb 6th Gen ; Apple Ipod Classic 160Gb 7th Gen ; Apple Ipod Nano 16Gb 6th Gen 

I don't think Samsung is the right company to buy out AMD. They work closely with Intel I believe and AMD is not up to where Intel is currently. So I don't see a good business reason for them to buy AMD from their side. For AMD it might be good but it would be a dumb more for Samsung.

I can see where a split would be good but I also see a few negatives. AMD gpus are the current main source of income for them. I don't see how the one company from the split would have the funds to create a new CPU past Zen unless Zen goes well. Then there is the legal crap that would need to be done, what happens about branding and licensing Could the cpu company still use what help they have had from the gpu division on the APUs. There are a lot of legal questions that will have to be worked through, I don't see them splitting this year, maybe next year after Zen depending on how it does.

That would work out terribly. Not sure what makes Samsung so trusted either.

Clarification for everyone: AMD representatives have assured that any purchase of a division would be incumbent upon a guarantee of IP access by AMD's other division(s). I think AMD is looking for someone to buy out its debts and pay top dollar for ATI. As much as everyone wants Samsung and Qualcomm to jump in, I think the two highest bidders will be Intel and Apple. With Apple's move to the Metal API, SOC experience, and vertical integration structure, it fits their business model to buy ATI even if they have to outbid Intel. It's a risky move, AMD believing they can go all-in on Zen and Zen+. 2015/16 will be even more interesting than I first thought.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Samsung would kill off their discrete GPUs and put all of the tech into Exynos. It would be the absolute worst case scenario unless the government does its job and breaks up Intel and Nvidia in short order.

this could be a good thing, could

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

ATI-Catalyst-Drivers-logo.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

But their GPUs are good. The 7000 series was a success, the 200 series was a success...and the 300 series seems great. I don't get it why they would want that... And with Zen coming up... who knows how that will fare against intel.

Give me a few years and I'll bite.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

"We may be separate cores now

but on some level

we'll always share cache. "

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Lisa is really determined to do something with the company, and I honestly hope she succeeds.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It would be interesting to see what happens if apple decided to buy them out, completely that is.  A unified marketing strategy, business decisions that are actually thought out and not spur of the moment.  Products that work out of the box.   Sure we'll no longer have a budget option but at least we'll still have an option. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Clarification for everyone: AMD representatives have assured that any purchase of a division would be incumbent upon a guarantee of IP access by AMD's other division(s). I think AMD is looking for someone to buy out its debts and pay top dollar for ATI. As much as everyone wants Samsung and Qualcomm to jump in, I think the two highest bidders will be Intel and Apple. With Apple's move to the Metal API, SOC experience, and vertical integration structure, it fits their business model to buy ATI even if they have to outbid Intel. It's a risky move, AMD believing they can go all-in on Zen and Zen+. 2015/16 will be even more interesting than I first thought.

So wait, we could end up in a situation with Intel ATI vs. Nvidia in the graphics card industry?

That would be interesting to see.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So wait, we could end up in a situation with Intel ATI vs. Nvidia in the graphics card industry?

That would be interesting to see.

That would be great and Intel iGPUs would just blow up.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650