Post your Good Ghetto mods

but... if the monitor fall and breaks, i won't have 2 monitors and i will be sad :(

Thats why he said duct tape......Duct tape never breaks.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

• 6 months later...

Ok... you asked for it...

Behind the 2 fans sit the 3  HDD No, 4 Hdd... there is also an SSD.... preety snappy system... it went just fine for 1 year like that...

post-124655-0-08869100-1410306173_thumb.

post-124655-0-74103600-1410306175_thumb.

post-124655-0-03292700-1410306178_thumb.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Post the dodgiest tech related misadventure/action you have had/done

Mine was a home made ethernet splitter/ Poe injector, had to run power/data to a modem in the middle of knowwhere, simple solution was to run it at 100mbs^-1, fuse pairs of the other 4 wires together and connect the cd power converter from the box to them, then seperate them out again at the other end.

I made a 3-pin fan connect to a USB plug, so it's able to be powered if I plug it into the I/O ports, or a mobile device charger.

Not really dodgy, but ghetto enough :P

Edit:

Actually, it kinda was, because right after I made it I still had all the wires exposed, I learnt later on that I should use something to wrap around the wires lol. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

my cars sub, i just put the power cable in with the terminal & the wire that clamps over, nothing has proper crimped on connectors just straight wire stuck where it needs to go. Works though.

I once made a homemade UPS out of laptop batteries and some some parts from a refrigerator.

Let's just say that I wouldn't be able to sell it anywhere.

It got really hot, and the power would randomly cut out. It also had exposed wires and ´leaked´ electricity into the surroundings. The hair on your arms would stand up when you got near it.

But it kinda worked, and that's all that matters 

I think it's still around somewhere. If I ever find it, I'll do a "How not to build a UPS" - guide. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

put a soldering iron into a plug socket, it went well.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I poured some rubbing alcohol in my MacBook to clear away the coffee the previous owner had spilled. Not a ton, but still enough to where if it were water, it would've dome damage to the keyboard.

It worked great :D

I ehm...I did once like, pull a sticker off a GPU fan...yeah, pretty dicey huh?  :ph34r:

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

In the Purple Beast I used velcro to mont the res because I was lazy. That did cost me a lot of money in the long run. 

This isn't really dodgy, but a horrible moment that ended up costing me money. There was a point in time, where I though I could remove the gpu of a graphics card, and put a better one in. Lets just say I ruined stuff. 

Man some of the stuff here is super dodgy

I don't think I've ever done anything anywhere near the scale of this...

Come to the dodgy side, we have arduinos and cookies.

my cars sub, i just put the power cable in with the terminal & the wire that clamps over, nothing has proper crimped on connectors just straight wire stuck where it needs to go. Works though.

Car audio is by far where my dodgiest work has ever been...  I had 2 Power Acoustik MoFo's with a BAMF amp along with them...  I could have spent a total of a hour making sure my ground was secure, instead about once ever 2-3 months I went and had to tighten it down and shave some paint off... lol  I miss my Caddy... 

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Maybe not the kind of tech you meant but I used glue and a nut to attach the air filter in my "motorbike"

If the glue failed and the stars aligned the nut could end up in the one and only cylinder.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

Maybe not the kind of tech you meant but I used glue and a nut to attach the air filter in my "motorbike"

If the glue failed and the stars aligned the nut could end up in the one and only cylinder.

followed by on of the most violent sounding noise you have ever heard...

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

put a soldering iron into a plug socket, it went well.

You know you put the plug into the socket not the actually soldering iron XP

followed by on of the most violent sounding noise you have ever heard...

Quite possibly. But then again it's a two-stroke so it already makes a rather violent sound.

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

1) When there was that whole paranoia of macs being used as surveillance for various uses (schools spying on students, hackers using remotely recorded footage as blackmail, who knows what else) I didn't like the simple solution of a piece of duct tape over my camera... way too ghetto for me... since I never even used my webcam I thought, what the heck, I'll just slide a thin piece of paper with a logo on it beneath the bezel... it went a little too far down, i used a jewellers screwdriver to try and prop the bezel open to slide it back up... SNAP! The panel cracked a bit. It was usable for a few months until the crack was a giant V over the entire panel. It still worked with an external monitor (which was fine because it was an old one I used as an HTPC... so the lid was always open while I watched it connected to my TV (hence the apprehension in it being used to access my webcam... I sit on the couch in my underwear all the time).

2) A year later it died completely. Last week I soldered a USB cable to the keyboard and trackpad hoping I could get a backlit keyboard for my HP laptop (because even right now I'm typing only by the light of the screen... which is mostly fine because I rarely look at the keyboard... but trying to find media keys or volume is usually a pain. But alas... I think it was controlled via the logic board, so I might have to deck it out with some LEDs powered off the usb... or maybe a 9 volt. Who knows. And not only all that, i couldn't find my decent soldering iron, I had no butane for my pocket soldering iron, all I had was an old one from the 80s I had when I was a kid. The tip wouldn't get hot enough for solder after 10 minutes of being plugged in (but the handle sure did!) so I used a propane torch (plumbers torch... whatever) to heat up the tip, then quickly tin and solder each wire. Thought I melted the pcb a few times... just scorched it.

edit: the keyboard and touchpad work beautifully (its especially great when I'm on here and remember to plug it in because the trackpad on this laptop always thinks my wrist is touching it and all of a sudden I've hit the back button and lost the post, or highlighted it and wrote over it (at least that one I can undo, if your browser goes back, and you go forward, your post is lost). It's the illumination I believe is controlled on the logic board, but I'm hoping to find a schematic or hack post that will explain what I need to do to power the backlight on all the time at 100%... if anyone here knows anything like that, love to hear from ya. Its like the first or second intel mbp. 2006 I believe.

LLaO7cW.jpg

I always guarantee that no more than 50% of what I say is useful.

Maybe not the kind of tech you meant but I used glue and a nut to attach the air filter in my "motorbike"If the glue failed and the stars aligned the nut could end up in the one and only cylinder.

That would be a pain to tear down and take out (assuming you have the same take apart and fiddle relationship with your bike as we do with our computers)

I was maybe 7-10 I think.  I thought, Tamiya motors sure take a lot of battery power.  Why not plug it into the wall and make the engine go forever!  You can guess what happened next...

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Ate in my computer.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D