Post your Good Ghetto mods

i 'converted' the weird form factor dell optiplex motherboards into a normal mATX case. i had to angle grid the rear slots to fit the upside down graphics card and I.O ports. along with this i had to angle grind some of the hard drive cage away and make new stand off out of metal. when i bolted the board down i placed a thin piece of card inbetween to stop it shorting out onto the sheet metal i replaced the motherboard tray with. i took the power connectors and stuff like that off the dell optiplex case as it doesnt have the normal front panel headers. i soldered a switch in place of the power button. also i had to cable tie the heatsink and heatsink fan down to the board. as it used mobo standoffs to secure. once i booted it up i kept getting a message about a rear fan being missing. (i couldent change it in the bios setting) so by this point i just couldent be assed and ended up soldering the contacts together to short the fan header out. its served me well for about 4-5months. lets just say it was the most powerful dell optiplex ive been on before. then i couldent boot it up. no bios menu. and it turned out the solder id put on the fan header had melted damaging the mobo and frying the bios chip. i knew this would happen anyway but by this time i had just finished building my new pc. so guess it was perfect timing. i still have reminence of the ddr2 ram and core 2 duo cpu that powered the BEAST but unfortunatly no photos :'(

After reading some of the other comments this is not that bad its more getto than dodgie 

I duck taped a Mic that had a broken headband to a pair of 3d glasses

My room didn't have a grounded electricity socket (it's being overhauled right now) so I grabbed a copper cable from the barn, twisted it around the fan grill on the back of my PC, then scraped off some paint off the radiator, and put a clamp around it and connected the wire to it.

It worked, the electricity ran through the radiator now instead of through my feet when I rested them on my case.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I started ripping out hard drives from my webserver while it was powered on to see if they could handle it.

Success, everything was still working. Even the VMs that were running on the disks that I ripped out powered back up fine.

I used double sided foam tape to hold two PSU's in a case.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I was running a laptop drive just dangling in my case for a while when I had issues with my primary drive.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I used Dry ice to create a moving cloud to test where the air would exhaust in my system rig when I had all of my fans set to intake.

I can't be the only one here that used a bit of bubble gum because he ran out of thermal paste, right ?

I do believe you are the only one  :blink:

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Who needs a 100$ case, if you can DIY your own case xD

Exactly, what do those case making factories know about cases?

post-1173-0-39367600-1413175774_thumb.jp

Except for maybe how big a power supply really is, I measured the base and completely forgot that they have protruding cords that add an extra 3 inches.

Also kind of another dodgy build.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

Once I circumvented a circuit breaker with a piece of magnet wire and then shorted an outlet on the circuit it was protecting with a coat hanger until the wire glowed.

It was pretty hardcore.

I can't be the only one here that used a bit of bubble gum because he ran out of thermal paste, right ?

i used toothpaste once, it smelled minty and lasted for a few days

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace

Exactly, what do those case making factories know about cases?

attachicon.gifIMG_1046.JPG

Except for maybe how big a power supply really is, I measured the base and completely forgot that they have protruding cords that add an extra 3 inches.

Also kind of another dodgy build.

there is no cpu in the cpu slot

CPU AMD FX-6300 Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) GPU PNY GTX 660 Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) Storage1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue PSU Corsair 500W Display(s)AOC and Viewsonic Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB Keyboard CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with Blue Switches Dollar Store Mouse Sound Dollar Store Speaker

bypassing the house safety fuse and butchering the 15amp plug on my mig welder, had to turn everything off to run it ..... god it drank the juice but it was great for working on roll bars

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Scotch taped an SSD to the side panel in a server...

Hung an HDD by it's sata connector & a rubber band in a drive bay (I was out of 2.5 to 3.5 adapters)

used scrap wire to tie my custom cooler to the GPU.

I'm a do as I say, not as I do person...

Years ago the fan died in a Cooler Master PSU. I removed it by force and wedged a case fan inside. used PSU for another 6 months before replacing it.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

after building a new pc, forgetting to flip the power sqitch on the back of the power supply.... oops.

I'm probably playing a game right now...

Booting a brand new laptop with ram and hard drive from an old shorted out laptop. 

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

i wanted to try and "blow up" an older tx 750 corsair powersupply by feeding its own power back into it, it survived longer then i expected

How did you do that?

CPU: AMD FX-6300     COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO    MOBO: ASUS M5A97 R2.0    RAM: Team Vulcan 8Gb (4Gb x 2) , G-Skill Sniper (4Gb x 2)    PSU: Rosewill HIVE-750w    GPU: ASUS HD 7790 2Gb OC    CASE: NZXT Phantom 410    STORAGE: WD Black 1Tb , Intel 530 120Gb     AUDIO: HyperX Cloud , Sennheiser HD 518 , Audio Technica ATH-M30 , Sennheiser MM30G , Yamaha RX-V361 , Pioneer SP-BS22     PHONE: Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge     PERIPHERALS: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic , Logitech g502 ( Thanks Syntaxvgm <3 )

Letting my brother use my computer. Damn, he gets in a lot of trouble with my computer.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Connect one billion  year old surge protector to another billion year old surge protector and run my pc off of it.