Thinkpad Appreciation Thread

3-4 hours with light use, not too bad, it's enough for university classes, and I've got hardware classes in the afternoon so I just plug it into the wall if I need it, I haven't noticed much differences with battery life between windows 7 and Linux so far ..

Not bad, there's plenty of resources out there for improving battery life, especially for Thinkpads. Just Google it  :)

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I have only bad experiences with thinkpads, but maybe that's because my school used crappy Celeron ones with 512 MB RAM and Windows XP, they had IBM logos on them and they weighted more that my old friends MSI gaming laptop, but I really like their ruggedness. We have just shifted over to Dells and Windows 7 Enterprise but I think that is only because the support for XP ends in 2014.

Nothing new there, generally people have bad experiences with any super old computers :P

Nothing new there, generally people have bad experiences with any super old computers :P

I see where my school was going with those thinkpads, they are AT LEAST 6 years old and most of them is in the same condition as new, and that is with the abuse of a school for ages 6 to 16 year old students but with startup times up to 10 minuttes

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

I haven't owned one personally, but my school used a cart of them as a portable computer lab. Despite how much abuse they took, they remained reliable up through graduation.

I haven't owned one personally, but my school used a cart of them as a portable computer lab. Despite how much abuse they took, they remained reliable up through graduation.

If you ever want to get into playing around with Linux, it's a cheap and reliable way of setting up distros, messing about without having to worry about damaging your main rig :) 

I own a few thinkpads all for different purposes. It makes me sad that one day all the batteries are going to all run flat :( once battery technology improves I think I'll try a hardware hack, and put a different kind of cell in the batteries. I've re-celled 3 so far, it's not an easy task, but well worth the extra battery life ;)

#!

If you ever want to get into playing around with Linux, it's a cheap and reliable way of setting up distros, messing about without having to worry about damaging your main rig :)

I own a few thinkpads all for different purposes. It makes me sad that one day all the batteries are going to all run flat :( once battery technology improves I think I'll try a hardware hack, and put a different kind of cell in the batteries. I've re-celled 3 so far, it's not an easy task, but well worth the extra battery life ;)

That's a great idea, but I already do that with Virtual Box :) If my current laptop ever dies, I'll probably go hunting for a good thinkpad and throw Ubuntu or Mint on it.

Also, I would really like to see that mod log! It sounds awesome.

Lenovo needs to stop using TN panels in their highest end T and W series.

I agree, I reckon that's where they're trying to keep cost down, either that or they don't have a valid supplier of IPS panels etc for the price they want.

#!

Yay for Thinkpads. 

I plan on getting the X240 when it's released, and hopefully throw in the 9-cell battery and slice battery. Might also get the X220 to try out the different keyboard styles. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Does anyone know how much extra battery life you get from those batteries you slot in the DVD slot? or whatev ;)

#!

Does anyone know how much extra battery life you get from those batteries you slot in the DVD slot? or whatev ;)

I'm about to get one, but can't find much info, but comparing the capacity to the ones on the machine should give a good ballpark.  Now the problem seems I can't seem to find a reputable non-oem-overpriced battery.  

My Rigs (past and present)

I'm about to get one, but can't find much info, but comparing the capacity to the ones on the machine should give a good ballpark.  Now the problem seems I can't seem to find a reputable non-oem-overpriced battery.  

There's quite a few here, but I'm unsure on the sizing and compatibility for my t410 :( 

#!

There's quite a few here, but I'm unsure on the sizing and compatibility for my t410 :(

I usually look up the original part from IBM/Lenovo and search the model number(s). The aftermarket sellers usually use that as reference in their descriptions.  "ultrabay battery" looks like the correct term used.  Looks like they make a 9 cell for your system... cost probably around the same as the ultrabay battery. (links just for reference)

As for size, not sure about the new models, but in the old models it's pretty much just two sizes... the regular and the slim (x300/301 like models) for the ultrabays.

There wasn't one 'perfect' Thinkpad in the last few years. There were some really promising, which turned out to really suck, because of poor battery life, a crappy display or whatever. They should stop making so many different models and get something really great out ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

There wasn't one 'perfect' Thinkpad in the last few years. There were some really promising, which turned out to really suck, because of poor battery life, a crappy display or whatever. They should stop making so many different models and get something really great out ...

People swear by the IBM thinkpads rather than the Lenovo ones, I own both and I can't find fault in either of the build qualities!

#!

Still waiting for a x301 replacement...

yeah... this superthin craze is killing the functionality.  Not even a 1/4 inch thicker x1 carbon and they can easily allow 20hr plus battery and extra hard drive! lol

i have bin wanting to get a thinkpad becus they look very good have quite good specs and arent very expencive 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

i have bin wanting to get a thinkpad becus they look very good have quite good specs and arent very expencive 

The better ones aren't really cheap either ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

The better ones aren't really cheap either ...

I want one of the W series ones, but yeah, super expensive.

ffaix1.png

#!

@dylandylandylan was just complaining about low battery life... looks at system tray battery warning in picture  :lol: 

I want one of the W series ones, but yeah, super expensive.

ffaix1.png

Like it says in my sig, W530, I love it.

And today I got my USB monitor so I can have dual-screen on my laptop on the go :)

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=460&Code=1452DS6#techspecs

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Whoo I <3 my T420 and I cant wait to upgrade it to quad core once my warrenty is over.

Like it says in my sig, W530, I love it.And today I got my USB monitor so I can have dual-screen on my laptop on the go :)http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:item.detail?GroupID=460&Code=1452DS6#techspecs

Dude I totally want one of those I just wish it had a better resolution.

Dude I totally want one of those I just wish it had a better resolution.

Yeah, color isn't great either, but its USB and very portable so I cant complain :P

Its a bit of a screen overload here now though, got 5 screen around me, and a total of 6 browsers with LTT forum, constantly refreshing to look for spammers, double posters, etc. etc.

(I like to keep the mods busy)

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<