AMD Blocks/Disables Overclocking the Memory for the Radeon R9 Fury X

BiG StroOnZ

3-5 fps is huge, what are you saying. 

It's virtually nothing compared to the core clock gains.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

OCing the memory on my 290 from 1250 to 1575 (5000 to 6300 effective) gained several hundred points in 3Dmark firestrike (cracked 10k woo! :P ) but it was questionable in-game, gaining maybe 2-3fps max. It's just not worth pushing the Vram that much faster for such a minuscule performance gain. 

But again, we can't compare GDDR5 to HBM. It's not the same and doesn't work the same way. The bandwidth is so high, there may not be any gains from clocking it higher anyways. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

It's supposed be used in combination with core clock gains, as I stated previously. Do you play Witcher 3? Perfect example. If the game drops anywhere below 30 fps, the experience is seriously degraded. Literally even 29 fps. So by having 3-5 fps extra, you can make sure your minimums never drop below 30 fps. Most games are like that, by introducing memory overclocking as well as core overclocking you can increase your minimum framerates which is important for actual playing.

First nVidia telling you what you can and can't do with products you buy, now AMD.

Great.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

well the ram is supposedly high speed to begin with.

I don't really see much of an issue

Yep. Going just +150mhz on the core of my 290 nets 5-10fps gain, depending on the game. +200 nets a 7-10fps gain, minimum. That's much more significant than an extra 2-3 fps gained by running the memory near it's limits.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

i asked this question on reddit and i couldnt find a good answer

how fast should memory be on a GPU to reach a point where you would see no increase in performance

is it pointless to overclock such fast memory would u even see 1 fps increase ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

It's supposed be used in combination with core clock gains, as I stated previously. Do you play Witcher 3? Perfect example. If the game drops anywhere below 30 fps, the experience is seriously degraded. Literally even 29 fps. So by having 3-5 fps extra, you can make sure your minimums never drop below 30 fps. Most games are like that, by introducing memory overclocking as well as core overclocking you can increase your minimum framerates which is important for actual playing.

Yes, but that's just nitpicking. I'm talking about the big picture here.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

If it was Nvidia that was first releasing HBM, and they blocked overclocking the memory nobody would be bashing Nvidia. Just shows the amount of ignorance in this forum.

Were you around when the GTX 970 was uncovered as having segmented memory and fewer ROPs than advertised? Because it sounds like you weren't.

NVIDIA was attacked by fanboys from both sides, AMD will have the same done to them as they haven't given a solid explanation, and previously advertised the card as an overclocker's dream.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Yes, but that's just nitpicking. I'm talking about the big picture here.

Nobody is nitpicking, people are downplaying the issue. Overclocking memory gives you free extra performance, plain and simple. 3-5 fps is 3-5 fps you didn't have before. That is the big picture here.

@BiG StroOnZ 

Your "it's like the time with the laptop" analogy is so daft I'm not even going to begin. Sorry.

WaitWait wait wait...

You are imagining that people will come up with excuses for amd? On this forum?

Have you been living under a rock?

3,5gb fiasco was legions of people defending Nvidia, but if amd so much as farts they get Shit for it.

Either you haven't been paying attention or you live in opposite world.

Also funny how you want make it more unbalanced by promoting amd bashing even more. Pathetic attempt.

picard_clapping.gif

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Nobody is nitpicking, people are downplaying the issue. Overclocking memory gives you free extra performance, plain and simple. 3-5 fps is 3-5 fps you didn't have before. That is the big picture here.

Again, we have no idea how HBM behaves. 

Your "it's like the time with the laptop" analogy is so daft I'm not even going to begin. Sorry.

That's because you are a hypocrite. 

Again, we have no idea how HBM behaves. 

That's why we should be given the ability to find out for ourselves. 

It's probably going to be good no matter what anyway.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

So the "overclockers dream" is a big LIE! False advertisement. Shame on you AMD.

wouldnt be the first time we've seen false advertisement in the graphics industry in the last year or so

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

OCing the memory on my 290 from 1250 to 1575 (5000 to 6300 effective) gained several hundred points in 3Dmark firestrike (cracked 10k woo! :P ) but it was questionable in-game, gaining maybe 2-3fps max. It's just not worth pushing the Vram that much faster for such a minuscule performance gain. 

But again, we can't compare GDDR5 to HBM. It's not the same and doesn't work the same way. The bandwidth is so high, there may not be any gains from clocking it higher anyways. 

Same here, OC'ing my 770's memory brought it up a bunch when testing with a few synthetic benchmarks ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Calling everyone else who has a different opinion than you ain't gonna help ya know....

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Being a hypocrite would imply I had an agenda. I have never owned an AMD product in my entire life, even if I'm going to now.

You're grasping at straws because you're a fanboy.

The laptop you're talking about doesn't have a 500mhz base line. It will take time to teach users to respect the fickle nature of HBM and the finesse of overclocking it subtly enough.

But I already responded way more than you deserve.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Calling everyone else who has a different opinion than you ain't gonna help ya know....

Anyone who denies that this is no different than NVIDIA locking down overclocking on laptops is clearly a hypocrite, because the issues are one in the same. It's still locking down or disabling features that shouldn't be locked down.

inb4 needed drivers are stable for OC.

P.s I want to see non-OCed benchmark against TitanX and 980Ti

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Being a hypocrite would imply I had an agenda. I have never owned an AMD product in my entire life, even if I'm going to now.

You're grasping at straws because you're a fanboy.

The laptop you're talking about doesn't have a 500mhz base line. It will take time to teach users to respect the fickle nature of HBM and the finesse of overclocking it subtly enough.

But I already responded way more than you deserve.

You clearly do have an agenda, because you quoted me to see your post and made a snide comment about my opinion. Therefore, you like everyone else has an agenda and you aren't excused from that. But nice try.

I'm a fanboy? Go look at the thread where they said Fury X would be limited to 30,000 units. I was the first person to reply with facts that debunked the article entirely.

People can learn this for themselves, they don't need a company to tell them they flat out cant.

lol, do you live in a fantasy world or something?

No company in their right mind would do that, knowing it could very well backfire.

Anyone who denies that this is no different than NVIDIA locking down overclocking on laptops is clearly a hypocrite

GDDR5 has been around for a decade. It's a thoroughly documented technology with not a single surprise left in store.

This is the first ever consumer product with HBM. We can't say for sure we know just how it'll respond to Dick and Jane on a huge scale (compared to engineer testing) overclocking it.

Edit: given your previous post above I'll just add you to ignore now. Jesus backflipping christ, these past few days that list grew a tall tower.

lol, do you live in a fantasy world or something?

No company in their right mind would do that, knowing it could very well backfire.

Sounds like you are making excuses. 

GDDR5 has been around for a decade. It's a thoroughly documented technology with not a single surprise left in store.

This is the first ever consumer product with HBM. We can't say for sure we know just how it'll respond to Dick and Jane on a huge scale (compared to engineer testing) overclocking it.

Edit: given your previous post above I'll just add you to ignore now.

More excuses. GDDR5 was new at one time too.

Yeah you put me on ignore because I called you out on your bullshit.