AMD Blocks/Disables Overclocking the Memory for the Radeon R9 Fury X

BiG StroOnZ

I'm aware of that, but I'm talking about low overclocks, like what if I want to OC 2 or 3 MHz?

If you have to overclock the entire interposer (a definite possibility) to be able to touch the memory you may introduce instability all over the place as straps are violated on both ends.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I think AMD should take the time and work on this a little more. It seems like the product isn't ready yet, and in the end, if you rush something out to early (like video games) you have to spend time dealing with complaints and fixing the problems, it's more logical to take more time to make sure everything is working perfectly.

If you have to overclock the entire interposer (a definite possibility) to be able to touch the memory you may introduce instability all over the place as straps are violated on both ends.

Well, if it OCs all the interposer I'd take the risk for a low OC, after all I paid for it :P

This is a signature.

If someone is overclocking, is assuming the risks and it's always been like that.

At first I kinda brushed it off because I don't normally overclock my vram anyway, but you know what? Screw this. I don't give a damn if it's a new technology, there's no reason to protect enthusiasts from themselves. If I want to push my vram and end up killing the thing, I absolutely should have the ability to. There is NEVER an acceptable reason to REMOVE functionality from a device that could function normally otherwise. My opinion on this topic is the same as when Nvidia removed the ability to overclock mobile GPUs. If I want to nuke my laptop, I should have the ability to. If I want to blow up my GPU, I should have the ability to. If I want to have a dedicated PhysX GPU in my AMD rig, I should have the ability to. If I want to disable windows updates, I should have the ability to. If I want to run F@H on my PS3, then I should have the ability to! I am getting so sick and tired of manufacturers removing functionality from our devices that would have required literally no effort to leave alone. This is garbage, #OverclockHBMorRiot

It's not just the customer taking a risk. AMD takes a risk too if they allow overclocking. If it overclocks poorly, AMD will look bad. If it breaks or fails easily when overclocked, AMD may have to provide free replacements for customers who were actually at fault.

If we are going to crucify Nvidia for not allowing mobile overclocking (especially on MXM equipped laptops that have beefy cooling) then I fully expect people to also bitch out AMD for not allowing ENTHUSIASTS to overclock their HBM. 

The Fury is a enthusiast card, no? Did I miss the memo where AMD is afraid of what ENTHUSIASTS will do to their ENTHUSIAST card? Hmm, why call it that anyways if you're gonna block off parts of the playground because "you think its good enough". 

People here say we bitch at AMD for no reason. Well...if AMD stopped making boneheaded choices like this (and Nvidia to boot), we'd stop making fun of them for it. Ironically the AMD guys knee-jerk their "oh look people will now insult AMD" speeches for no reason. Stop being so melodramatic and stop making a mountain out of molehill. AMD is being silly, they'll get called out for silliness. Don't like people doing that? Stop being so invested in what GPU you own. 

I thought AMD watercooled the card so the end user didn't have to be "enthusiast" enough to distmantle their card and assemble their own loop to have that kind of performance. (Plus the card probably just wouldn't work that well with air-cooling.)

Perfectly fine for Intel, AMD, and Nvidia to disable overclocking where it doesn't make sense, or could do more harm to them than good.

Would overclocking the HBM brick the card by any chance?  :huh:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Mate, the people "defending" Nvidia about the 970 were just telling it like it is. We didn't hop onto the hate train; instead we actually had the cards on hand ourselves and tested them.

I personally did not find any issue with the card. Everyone was making a mountain out of a mole hill that didn't even actually affect anything significant. The people who actually tested that card in games didn't find any actual issues with it and that's why we said something to the naysayers and the bandwagoners. It wasn't us starting the shit storms, it was everyone else who were calling us liars and instead took to latin retorts and other tired arguments instead of factual evidence. Not a single person on this forum even presented video evidence except for @Razzaa and he made the same rational conclusion that I did with my 970: there's nothing wrong with it.

But by all means, continue to think the people who actually fucking tested the card are fanboys for not finding any evidence of a problem with the card.

The reason Stronz said what he said was because everyone was bitching about Nvidia locking some of their mobile chips from being overclocked; I bet many of the bitchers (is that even a word) didn't even have an Nvidia GPU equipped laptop. Because of what AMD is doing with their HBM, everyone should bitch about that too because "DAE LOCK IS BAD FOR ENTHUSIASTS". Jesus.

Everyone of you guys who are pulling the fanboy card need to grow up. It's not fanboyism, it's calling shit like it is.

If it overclocks poorly, AMD will look bad.

I overclock for myself not the public, but I get that point, like reviewers, OC competitions or anyone complaining. Anyway IMO locking a feature for reputation is dick move.

This is a signature.

Perfectly fine for Intel, AMD, and Nvidia to disable overclocking where it doesn't make sense, or could do more harm to them than good.

Precisely

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

Good for AMD. This product is currently the highlight and the best of what AMD has to offer. Especially since AMD has adopted HBM and it's a first generation product, they don't want any mishaps.

i agree with amd here .. its a new type of technology.... who knows what could happen.... u might eventually break the card....

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

I think it's right. If someone ocs by 1mhz and breaks the shit out of the card, hbm will look bad.

EDIT:

Guys...

Disabling memory ocing does not mean all ocing is disables

- snip-

This technology is so new, they probably want to deep test it before allowing to OC that memory. That's normal.

I suspect a couple of professional overclockers will have the permission then we'll see from there. Really only people who REALLY know what they're doing should mess with this. 

Intel 4790 K - R9 295X2 - Gigabyte Z97-SLI - Corsair Vengeance Pro Black 1866 CAL9 - Corsair HX 1000 -Samsung 850 EVO SSD - Samsung HDD - H100I - Corsair C70 - G400 Logitech - Asus VS247H - WASD custom mechanical and QCKPAD! 

Staples of LTT: Getting an 4690 K will resurrect your lost family members, AMD = More heat thus AMD = Satan. 

Mate, the people "defending" Nvidia about the 970 were just telling it like it is. We didn't hop onto the hate train; instead we actually had the cards on hand ourselves and tested them.

I personally did not find any issue with the card. Everyone was making a mountain out of a mole hill that didn't even actually affect anything significant. The people who actually tested that card in games didn't find any actual issues with it and that's why we said something to the naysayers and the bandwagoners. It wasn't us starting the shit storms, it was everyone else who were calling us liars and instead took to latin retorts and other tired arguments instead of factual evidence. Not a single person on this forum even presented video evidence except for @Razzaa and he made the same rational conclusion that I did with my 970: there's nothing wrong with it.

But by all means, continue to think the people who actually fucking tested the card are fanboys for not finding any evidence of a problem with the card.

The reason Stronz said what he said was because everyone was bitching about Nvidia locking some of their mobile chips from being overclocked; I bet many of the bitchers (is that even a word) didn't even have an Nvidia GPU equipped laptop. Because of what AMD is doing with their HBM, everyone should bitch about that too because "DAE LOCK IS BAD FOR ENTHUSIASTS". Jesus.

Everyone of you guys who are pulling the fanboy card need to grow up. It's not fanboyism, it's calling shit like it is.

I read the first 2 paragraphs, but I never said the 970 was a bad card, however it was a dirty move from Nvidia and slower last half GB of memory is still slower.

If it was a bad card I never would have put it in the new build of a friend 3 days ago.

Also the situations are NOT the same, they are not disabling the core clock like Nvidia did and it's HBM, not GDDR5, it's new-ish territory.

Now GOOD FUCKING DAY. And I won't look again In this hellhole thread.

I read the first 2 paragraphs, but I never said the 970 was a bad card, however it was a dirty move from Nvidia and slower last half GB of memory is still slower.

If it was a bad card I never would have put it in the new build of a friend 3 days ago.

Also the situations are NOT the same, they are not disabling the core clock like Nvidia did and it's HBM, not GDDR5, it's new-ish territory.

Now GOOD DAY. And I won't watch again In this hellhole thread.

giphy.gif

If it was Nvidia that was first releasing HBM, and they blocked overclocking the memory nobody would be bashing Nvidia. Just shows the amount of ignorance in this forum. 

What? If Nvidia makes one mistake and it's reported to this forum, it becomes a hot topic stretching to 30 pages or even more. The hate that AMD gets here is the same as the hate that NVidia gets. 

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Meh. Overclocking the memory makes virtually no difference. Best case scenario, maybe 5 more fps.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Love how everyone jumps on this as if HBM works like GDDR5. It's not GDDR5 and it doesn't work the same way, so no, this is not like Nvidia locking down overclocking on it's mobile GPUs. This is a different situation. 

I would wager there's so much bandwidth available with HBM that you'd probably never see much of a gain from OCing it anyways.

Also, we still don't know how much the core will OC, so how about everyone cool your jets and wait for some actual overclocking tests. 

mK8xGw2.jpg

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

But that's the difference between 55 fps and 60 fps

PCMASTERRACE.

Nah, it's called diminishing returns.

We don't even know how that type of memory behave, much less the heat it might produce.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

Nah, it's called diminishing returns.

No it's called if you gain 5 fps from overclocking the core and 5 fps from overclocking the memory. You now gained 10 fps compared to stock.

Overclocking the memory is definitely beneficial. 

I overclock for myself not the public, but I get that point, like reviewers, OC competitions or anyone complaining. Anyway IMO locking a feature for reputation is dick move.

A company's reputation for producing products that work consistently and reliably is more important than satisfying someone who demands a feature that probably doesn't make sense, and may work against consistency and reliability.

But that's the difference between 55 fps and 60 fps

PCMASTERRACE.

That's why PC games have so many adjustable settings for detail and performance. Use them.

No it's called if you gain 5 fps from overclocking the core and 5 fps from overclocking the memory. You now gained 10 fps compared to stock.

Overclocking the memory is definitely beneficial. 

It's virtually useless. You just overclock the memory for those extra 3fps. What really matters is the core clock.

That's why PC games have so many adjustable settings for detail and performance. Use them.

No, I'll just overclock my memory instead and gain more performance without having to adjust my settings at all.

It's virtually useless. You just overclock the memory for those extra 3fps. What really matters is the core clock.

They are both equally important. Trust me. Not everyone gets a Silicon Lottery card that can overclock heavily on the core, but you can always count on quality memory being utilized in graphics cards these days. You can make up the difference if you get a bad clocker with memory overclocking. Trust me I had a GTX 670 that could do +750 on the memory in 3DMark11 but could only do 1300MHz on the core.

No, I'll just overclock my memory instead and gain more performance without having to adjust my settings at all.

They are both equally important. Trust me. Not everyone gets a Silicon Lottery card that can overclock heavily on the core, but you can always count on quality memory being utilized in graphics cards these days. You can make up the difference if you get a bad clocker with memory overclocking. Trust me I had a GTX 670 that could do +750 on the memory in 3DMark11 but could only do 1300MHz on the core.

Those "+750" on 3dmark translate to about 3-5fps in-game.

My 280 has a maxed out memory clock. I gained 3fps from the stock clock.