AMD Blocks/Disables Overclocking the Memory for the Radeon R9 Fury X

BiG StroOnZ

I agree with AMD here 100%.

You can't have your customers overclocking something if it is unstable will most likely harm the component and then have the customer tell you the card is broken and demand a refund or exchange. Same goes for the NVIDIA laptop situation.

Sorry sir... but are you on drugs?

How is it going to be unstable? it's only stacked DRAM running at mere 500 MHz, why would you care if I want to overclock even if it's only 7 MHz?

If someone is overclocking, is assuming the risks and it's always been like that.

Also for the laptop thing.

If someone really wants to overclock it (not counting stupid dudes that only OC because they like the word) will get a way to overclock it (Other software, Custom BIOS, Pinmods,...)... Still not a reason to lock it, it makes everything worse.

If you're going to answer me with the typical "for consumer safety" BS then first why the fuck that consumer is looking in advanced settings?

Serous question, how much of a performance gain can you can by only OCing the memory?

Raw calculation

As it's a 4096 bit bus and still DDR DRAM:

1 MHz (on base clock)*2 (DDR)*4096 bit (bus)= 8192 Mbit/s = 1 GB/s

So 1 GB/s per extra MHz in the base clock

This is a signature.

Well..alrighty then.

Okay...

Hmmm, its a new memory type....maybe you can't overclock the memory directly, maybe you would have to overclock the imposer :unsure: , just a guess.

*interposer

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

If we are going to crucify Nvidia for not allowing mobile overclocking (especially on MXM equipped laptops that have beefy cooling) then I fully expect people to also bitch out AMD for not allowing ENTHUSIASTS to overclock their HBM. 

The Fury is a enthusiast card, no? Did I miss the memo where AMD is afraid of what ENTHUSIASTS will do to their ENTHUSIAST card? Hmm, why call it that anyways if you're gonna block off parts of the playground because "you think its good enough". 

People here say we bitch at AMD for no reason. Well...if AMD stopped making boneheaded choices like this (and Nvidia to boot), we'd stop making fun of them for it. Ironically the AMD guys knee-jerk their "oh look people will now insult AMD" speeches for no reason. Stop being so melodramatic and stop making a mountain out of molehill. AMD is being silly, they'll get called out for silliness. Don't like people doing that? Stop being so invested in what GPU you own. 

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

Really depends on the application what engine, take the unigine Valley benchmark for instance, it gains massively higher scores from overclocking memory, but games seem to benefit quite a bit less.

This could change with Fiji and HBM.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Very intel-like move. Not sure if positive or negative honestly (probably a bit of both) but I am sure this is something I would expect from Intel, not AMD

-------

Current Rig

-------

If AMD, the company who makes all of their processors unlocked, releases a product that has no overclocking, it is probably for a good reason. Most likely to avoid a multitude of people from damaging their GPU and complaining that they did not get a refund and stop 14 year old kids from whining. 

Personally I think if Nvidia feel they have a good enough reason to lock OC'ing on laptops then I feel AMD probably have legit reasons too.  You can't assume you know why a company does something just because you disagree with it.  Which seems to be what everyone is doing recently.  That and bitch about all the supposed AMD hate, I have said it before and I'll say it again; if you think this forum is biased against AMD then spend a day reading the GPU and build recommendations.   If you take out the obvious recommendations by people who don't know what they are talking about it's pretty even stephens.    

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Stop being so invested in what GPU you own.

If you truly believed this then you or other people wouldn't be making fun of amd or Nvidia in the first place and just go with the flow.

So the same thing could be said for all bashers about being so melodramatic and being so invested in a brand

At first I kinda brushed it off because I don't normally overclock my vram anyway, but you know what? Screw this. I don't give a damn if it's a new technology, there's no reason to protect enthusiasts from themselves. If I want to push my vram and end up killing the thing, I absolutely should have the ability to. There is NEVER an acceptable reason to REMOVE functionality from a device that could function normally otherwise. My opinion on this topic is the same as when Nvidia removed the ability to overclock mobile GPUs. If I want to nuke my laptop, I should have the ability to. If I want to blow up my GPU, I should have the ability to. If I want to have a dedicated PhysX GPU in my AMD rig, I should have the ability to. If I want to disable windows updates, I should have the ability to. If I want to run F@H on my PS3, then I should have the ability to! I am getting so sick and tired of manufacturers removing functionality from our devices that would have required literally no effort to leave alone. This is garbage, #OverclockHBMorRiot

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

If you truly believed this then you or other people wouldn't be making fun of amd or Nvidia in the first place and just go with the flow.

So the same thing could be said for all bashers about being so melodramatic and being so invested in a brand

That is a poor way of trying to invalidate my argument, don't do it again. Your second paragraph is textbook fail for disarming someone's point.

Who says I bash anyone? I'm not exactly 12 anymore. I buy what makes sense. Back then it was a 6770. Then 660s. Then splurging on 780s. Now I'm swayed by Fury. I don't really care.

All this deflection and "woe is me, look at how they attack my brand" posturing is kinda sad for a place like this.

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

probably to stop people from killing their cards but there is always a way around it

Well yes.

But the hordes defending them were much larger.

The 970 is still a good card, but just saying, they have their fanboys rooted Deep in this forum.

And AMD has no herds of Fanboys? May I direct you to any thread mentioning gameworks?

Both companies have massive fanboys, trying to justify every bone headed choice their company makes.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

That is a poor way of trying to invalidate my argument, don't do it again. Your second paragraph is textbook fail for disarming someone's point.

Who says I bash anyone? I'm not exactly 12 anymore. I buy what makes sense. Back then it was a 6770. Then 660s. Then splurging on 780s. Now I'm swayed by Fury. I don't really care.

All this deflection and "woe is me, look at how they attack my brand" posturing is kinda sad for a place like this.

It's not a poor way at all, I am pointing out the exact same behaviours about the bashers.

Also 'don't do it again'? What are you, a drill sergeant?

It is the exact same flaw that you blame the people who defend brands have.

That you choose to label it as untrue doesn't make it less true, not in the least. You can write it off as deflecting but it is the same behaviour being displayed: being melodramatic about a brand, but instead of defending them, bashing them. I

And AMD has no herds of Fanboys? May I direct you to any thread mentioning gameworks?

Both companies have massive fanboys, trying to justify every bone headed choice their company makes.

Ah okay, well I didn't follow those threads because I wasn't interested in Witcher 3.

Well now I know.

This thread is quickly becoming hilarious, most people are agreeing that partly locking down overclocking on a watercooled flagship desktop card which was presented to us and advertised as some overclockers dream is perfectly okay.

You people are such hypocrites.

If we are going to crucify Nvidia for not allowing mobile overclocking (especially on MXM equipped laptops that have beefy cooling) then I fully expect people to also bitch out AMD for not allowing ENTHUSIASTS to overclock their HBM. 

The Fury is a enthusiast card, no? Did I miss the memo where AMD is afraid of what ENTHUSIASTS will do to their ENTHUSIAST card? Hmm, why call it that anyways if you're gonna block off parts of the playground because "you think its good enough". 

People here say we bitch at AMD for no reason. Well...if AMD stopped making boneheaded choices like this (and Nvidia to boot), we'd stop making fun of them for it. Ironically the AMD guys knee-jerk their "oh look people will now insult AMD" speeches for no reason. Stop being so melodramatic and stop making a mountain out of molehill. AMD is being silly, they'll get called out for silliness. Don't like people doing that? Stop being so invested in what GPU you own. 

This is different actually. Nvidia completely lock overclocking on laptops. The Fury still get to overclock it's core.

I'm still contemplating on whether or not I want bitch at AMD for this... but I'll wait till AMD gives a statement about this...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

If they said this in advertising for this then yeah it is false advertisement.

Sup Devil.

Bro, people only got mad because Nvidia disabled the core speed overclock. AMD didn't.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

This thread is quickly becoming hilarious, most people are agreeing that partly locking down overclocking on a watercooled flagship desktop card which was presented to us and advertised as some overclockers dream is perfectly okay.

Sorry to call people hypocrites you must first provide proof. So far you have not provided such proof.

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

This thread is quickly becoming hilarious, most people are agreeing that partly locking down overclocking on a watercooled flagship desktop card which was presented to us and advertised as some overclockers dream is perfectly okay.

- New technology being implemented for the first time

- not disabling OCing of the core clock, only the memory

2 huge differences you seem to overlook that alter the situations considerably.

If it was Nvidia that was first releasing HBM, and they blocked overclocking the memory nobody would be bashing Nvidia. Just shows the amount of ignorance in this forum. 

Sorry to call people hypocrites you must first provide proof. So far you have not provided such proof.

Read the thread, majority says this is okay, sounds quite hypocritical to me.

- New technology being implemented for the first time
- not disabling OCing of the core clock, only the memory

2 huge differences you seem to overlook that alter the situations considerably.

- So what? 

- What is your point? 

There is nothing being overlooked. Disabling a feature is disabling a feature.

Yeah... I'm not even gonna try mentioning it because I don't want my notifications spamming me as a "NVIDIA FANBOY"...  This forum's full of AMD fanboy's bitching about how everyone's an Nvidia fanboy. And that everything Nvidia does is evil, while AMD does something arguably worse (albeit they PROBABLY have a good reason for locking it).

If it was Nvidia that was first releasing HBM, and they blocked overclocking the memory nobody would be bashing Nvidia. Just shows the amount of ignorance in this forum. 

And yes, they would be. The AMD Fandroids would. Do you see how much Nvidia get's bashed when anyone mentions anything about them doing anything remotely wrong? Like the 90m series being locked? Or anything involving Gameworks?

Saying 1 side has more fanboys than the other is just stupid.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha