ThroatLotion

Hello World

Just wanted to say hi!

While a have a decent understanding of computers (compared to the average user) i still consider my knowledge to be fairly rudimentary. Just started watching Linus on youtube about a month ago. Currently doing some research and going to be building a rig before the years up. And i was wondering... are there any good resources out there where one can educate himself on the finer details of PC components and the inner workings. Cuz linus rambles on about cuda cores and whosawhatsits and i start realizing i don't know as much about PCs as i thought i did. 

In general all i do with my PC is game. I would love to learn to program eventually, i find it hard to decide on a starting language. I have downloaded and read thru the first chapters of many guides... HTML5/CSS3... Java/XML for android sdk... python... but could never bring myself to finish. I even downloaded Unity the other day thinking i might give that a whirl

Currently running a HP PC, AMD A8-5500 APU, threw some ram in to bump it up to 14GB and a AMD Radeon HD 6670.

I play a lot of League of Legends (summoner name ThroatLotion if you wanna add me and play some games!) and Hawken. 

thats about it for now. 

Peace n' Love 

Welcome to the forum!

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Welcome, I love Lol and Hawken too

System Specs - CPU: i7 4770K - RAM: 8GB(2x4GB) Vengeance Pro - Motherboard: Maximus VI Gene - Case: Modded PowerMac G5 - CPU Cooler: H100i - PSU: AX860i - SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB and Kingston V300 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - Graphics Card: 2x GTX 780 - Case Fans: SP120s and Spectre 140s - Headphones: HD700, Alpha Dog, SE215

Sony A7R w/ Zeiss 55mm F1.8

Welcome :D

Welcome.

If you wish to learn more about the technical parts, just Google it and read up on it. You can go to the individual sub-forums we have here on LinusTechTips and you can usually find a thread about it already OR make your own thread and ask your own question, many people will be able to help you out. :)

Welcome. Say goodbye to the Sun, you wont be seeing that for a long time.

I live in the greater seattle area... I'm not sure if we have this sun thing you're talking about, you mean rain?

I live in the greater seattle area... I'm not sure if we have this sun thing you're talking about, you mean rain?

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Same story here. Except its been quite lovely outside for the past few weeks, from what I heard.

Welcome, yo.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

Welcome! I may seem new too but this is just another acc on my other i had over 1k posts. Anywya cool profile pic ya got! :)

Welcome mate :)

I have Hawken too but I need to start playing it again

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Welcome to LTT

CoolerMaster CM 690 II Basic | Intel i7-2600 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 2x Zotac GTX 1070 AMP! Edition

Asus P8Z77-V LK | 2 x 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 | SeaSonic M12ii 850W 80+ Bronze Crucial M4 128GB

All in all you're on the right track. Programming may be a little too much for you and don't be ashamed as only a small percentage of computer enthusiasts actually know how to do it. There is a large group of 12-20 year olds just getting into tech and in the exact same boat as you are, 2 years ago I myself didn't even know a fraction of what I know today so do not fear, the learning process is relatively painless. One thing that i did that helped me learn was learning to install Linux, i recommend using VirtualBox to do so. It will force you to learn about your hardware and by the time you can install Arch you will have mastered your computer.

I absolutely recommend watching as many YouTube videos as you can and recommend:

-LinusTechTips

-RazeTheW0rld (spelled with a zero)

-JupiterBroadcasting

-NewEggTV

-TechTomorrow

-Paul's Hardware

I'm sure everyone else can add a few, but the main idea is that by watching these videos you will gradually learn more and more about this technology.

For your new build I think it may be some what unnecessary as your current machine is enough. But it would still help to have an Intel machine. since it is your first, I would expect you to want to start out simple and upgrade as time goes on, this means try to get as good quality motherboard, case, and power supply as you can even if it means you may have to skimp a little on the other components to make the price work. Next you'll want to upgrade the CPU, CPU cooler, GPU, and to an SSD in that order.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions no matter how silly you think they might sound, as an old chinese proverb goes, It is better to ask a stupid question than to remain a stupid man.

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

Welcome! I found that too, about the knowledge thing. You think you know a fair bit and then you see other people that know more and you're like "I know nothing"

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

IMO the first step in leaning a new concept or field is exposure. So what I usually do is just dive right into it, it doesn't really matter if I don't get the concept right away, I just keep absorbing information till things click. But then again this is just my learning style.

Hey, I'm an Obese Walrus from Denmark and I hang around here a lot.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

If you want to learn anything, this forum is in my opinion the best. Almost everyone is happy to help, so just ask away and I'm sure you will get a good response. :-)

CPU: AMD FX-8350 | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 | RAM: 8GB Kingston Beast 1866MHz

Case: Define R4 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780ti | PSU: Corsair CX600M | SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO

.... and a Partridge in a pear tree! 

welcome to the forums Brosideon, King of the Brocean.

contrary to popular belief, I am King of the forums. if any of the mods try to tell you otherwise it's because they are planning a coup.

Viva le LTTKing!

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Hello!!

BRAIN: intel i5 4670k @ 4.0 ghz stock voltage. GPU: ZOTAC GTX 770*2, both @ 1300mhz core 7900mhz memory. 
CASE: custom painted Fractal Design R4.        SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 pro.    STORAGE: 2TB WD NAS.                 MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE z87x-ud3h
PSU: Corsair 760.    LIGHTS: NZXT hue.          FANS: 4 NZXT rifle bearing.          RAM: 2*4GB patriot black mamba.    CPU COOLER: Noctua NH C12P with NZXT 140mm fan.  

Welcome, I would play hawken but my current laptop can't even support that game well. it runs at about 1-2 fps. So much fun

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M