Can I run vmware in win7 or win8 that runs linux on a 4770K?

I am confused about whether or not this cpu can support vmware with a fully functional OS like Linux running in windows. Does anyone have this type of setup?

No need for a 4770k. It's not that hard to run a Linux vm.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Maybe you guys can help me out, every time i try to install Ubuntu in VMWARE it will install fine but when i try to load it up for the first time it says a controller is disabled....

No need for a 4770k. It's not that hard to run a Linux vm.

I know I don't need a 4770K chip, but they disabled some features on that chip that might make a virtual machine unusable. My rig will be for gaming mostly, but I want to try running Ubuntu in Windows as well.

Maybe you guys can help me out, every time i try to install Ubuntu in VMWARE it will install fine but when i try to load it up for the first time it says a controller is disabled....

It does't say anything more specific than that?

RAM is usually the limiting factor in VM's, how much RAM do you have. 

CPU is more then capably of running multiple VM's.

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

I've had trouble spinning up Ubuntu VMs.  Embarrassed to say I never bother to figure out the issue  :unsure:  I just went with Slackware or Oracle Linux.  

This is the only OS I've ever had any trouble with spinning up a VM, I think the issue is specific to Ubuntu.

Edit - One thing to watch out for is disk I/O.  If you put 3 VMs on the same HDD, you'll run into trouble.  My rule of thumb is one VM per HDD. (Personally I need to set up a RAID solution for my VMs but that's another story).

I think that CPU will be the least of your bottleneck that thing could probably power 6-8 machines.

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

Thanks for the help. What I am getting at is that any "K" SKU chip has "intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) " disabled so I am not sure if you need that for running a vm.

Thanks for the help. What I am getting at is that any "K" SKU chip has "intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) " disabled so I am not sure if you need that for running a vm.

That is not correct AFAIK it helps when running VM's and is enabled on most of the K series processors at least the I5's and I7's. 

Look under "Advanced Technologies" down on this page http://ark.intel.com/products/75123 It says "no" for VT-d. I am not even sure it is needed to desktop vm but that is what I am asking.

Yeh i misread it. I don't think  VT-d is not needed for consumer visualization, as long as the processor supports VT-x you should be fine. 

Yeh i misread it. I don't think  VT-d is not needed for consumer visualization, as long as the processor supports VT-x you should be fine. 

Thanks ;)

You can enable virtualization in your BIOS.

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

Well I'm using the 3770K and it works fine, according to the Intel site:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processor-comparison/compare-intel-processors.html?select=desktop

(expand i7 and select the 4770k and 3770k and compare)

They both have similar feature sets so as far as supporting it it should be fine.

Then according the VMware (for Workstation v9)

Processor Requirements for Host Systems

You must install Workstation on a host system that meets certain processor requirements.

Supported Processors

The host system must have a 64-bit x86 CPU that meets the following requirements.

LAHF/SAHF support in long mode

1.3GHz or faster core speed

Multiprocessor systems are supported.

When you install Workstation, the installer performs checks to make sure the host system has a supported processor. You cannot install Workstation if the host system does not meet the processor requirements.

Processor Requirements for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems

The operating system that runs inside a virtual machine is called the guest operating system. To run 64-bit guest operating systems, the host system must have one of the following processors.

An AMD CPU that has segment-limit support in long mode

An Intel CPU that has VT-x support

If you have an Intel CPU that has VT-x support, you must verify that VT-x support is enabled in the host system BIOS. The BIOS settings that must be enabled for VT-x support vary depending on the system vendor. See the VMware knowledge base article at http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1003944 for information about how to determine if VT-x support is enabled.

When you install a 64-bit operating system, Workstation performs checks to make sure the host system has a supported processor. You cannot install a 64-bit operating system if the host system does not meet the processor requirements.

Make sure the visualization features are on in BIOS. I'd look at mine but I'm in the middle of something.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

In my ASUS mobo BIOS, I had to manually enable Intel Virtulization Technology (under advanced -> CPU) to use VirtualBox. That turns on VT-x (supported on my 3570k), which appears to be required to use a virtual machine.

HTTP/2 203