Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

Speaking of which, buying SSDs on tight-budget builds.  Put that money towards a better GPU.  You can afford to wait on storage performance and drop in a cheap SSD months down the road when you've saved up for it.

I'd agree but sometimes there's not enough money to jump up to a slightly better GPU but there's enough to get an SSD. It's not often but it does happen.

Anyway, installed a new drive about 10 mins ago and it reminded me of my hate for Sata cables.

I have a 200$ case, 600$ build

You're also insane, lol

Mr ten eMacs

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

1. Pastel colored water coolant. It just looks ugly, and why not use opaque tubing and plain water instead?

2. "minimalist" designs.

3. Fractal Cases (they just look boring)

4. Use of the color blue (least favorite color)

Non-aesthetic pet peevves

1. People who build rigs without SSD's (it just makes me sad)

2. People who say "8gb of ram is enough"

3. Ultra small form factor builds. I can understand semi-small ones that are easy to carry around, but some just get ridiculous

4. air cooling

5. People willing to buy cheap, lower end hardware, rather than waiting, saving up, and buying more appropriate hardware for what they want to do. (mainly because I made this mistake on my very first rig, and now realize how much money I wasted)

6. rigs with unfilled fan spots.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

When they go with AMD instead of Intel...

People who use an FX 8350/FX 6300 even though they are only good for a few very specific tasks-and not the ones the build is intended for.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

People installing fans backwards.

It can be necessary though. I had to install my Siedon 120V fan in backwards so I could fit the radiator into the case (I've got 2 cases now, 1 by thermaltake and 1 by antec) which 'support water cooling' and yet have piss poor spacing for the rad-so that in 1 case you need a motherboard with no RAM slots close to the top so the rad and fan fits, and the other case needs a fan to separate the radiator from it because the idiots (antec) don't have the case an extra 50mm taller so that the rad will fit between the PCIe slots and the top of the case.

Edit: BTW, the Antec case cost me $150 so I'm still kind of pissed at the way its set up-the Seidon 120V seems to work best in a Push only config.

PMSL

A quality case can last, not just a few builds, but decades. A durable, functional, and flexible case is an investment that will continue to pay off long after you have migrated away from the rest of that middling build.

The next wise investment is a high quality power supply.  Again, something that with proper care can last for several builds. 

Pretty much everything else in a build is disposable.

Cheaping out on either of those first two items means spending more money sooner rather than later.

I agree with that, though case prices seem to have gone up a fair bit for the quality. I've got my old thick steel monolith (I can put over 300Kg on the case with its feet removed and it doesn't get damaged-that's with the side panels on BTW) and its been good since 2002/2003, and apart from some slight rust on the inside of a panel its more than worth the $60 I spent on it (1 side panel alone weighs more than all 4 from my newer cases).

PMSL

ehmm...

people that think they are better/smarter because they use something "more expensive from brand Y so it must be better then cheaper brand Z"

When they go with AMD instead of Intel...

gratz on 4k posts!

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Also can't stand people who purposefully buy the cheapest crap they can find without doing any research into better products because "They can't afford the good stuff"  Just spend an extra $5 and you can "afford the good stuff".  Of course, it's not going to be the best of the best but it's still better than racing to the bottom.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Cheap unbranded PSUs, the biggest sin of all. Also in a similar vein, massively overpowered PSUs for their build. Head room for a second GPU, fair enough unless you're mini-ITX, but 1200w PSU for a system that at most will draw little over half that, no, just no.

Thinking AIO cooler are the only way to cool a CPU. The optimal choice between air and AIO depends on your case.

Finally and couple of aesthetic ones. Overly large, mostly empty cases. And LEDs, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't want his PC lit up like a Christmas tree.

1. Pastel colored water coolant. It just looks ugly, and why not use opaque tubing and plain water instead?

2. "minimalist" designs.

3. Fractal Cases (they just look boring)

4. Use of the color blue (least favorite color)

Non-aesthetic pet peevves

1. People who build rigs without SSD's (it just makes me sad)

3. Ultra small form factor builds. I can understand semi-small ones that are easy to carry around, but some just get ridiculous

4. air cooling

5. People willing to buy cheap, lower end hardware, rather than waiting, saving up, and buying more appropriate hardware for what they want to do. (mainly because I made this mistake on my very first rig, and now realize how much money I wasted)

6. rigs with unfilled fan spots.

1. No it looks awesome

2. Some look good

3. Disagree, that's preference

4. Preference

1. You shouldn't get one on a lower end build, it's a waste

2. It is for gaming

3. Nice for LANS, or dorms

4. Not everyone can afford water cooling, or like it

5. I agree

6. You don't always need a fan in every spot, I have an unused fan mount next to my PSU in my 760t and there is not need for a fan there.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Fanboys, who wont consider another brand (even if that other brand might perform better or just as good for less)

You know what I am talking about...

I have a friend like that :( 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Two weeks later he messages me on Facebook and says he tried installing an H100i and his computer keeps shutting off when he turns it on.

Did he not hook up the H100i properly?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

CPU COOLERS THAT COST MORE THAN 30% OF THE CPU's PRICE

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Using fan control software (and motherboard fan headers) instead of a proper fan controller. 

Have fun with your 1A fan headers. 

Can't run Deltas off that. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

8GB of RAM is a good baseline to start at.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1. No it looks awesome

2. Some look good

3. Disagree, that's preference

4. Preference

1. You shouldn't get one on a lower end build, it's a waste

2. It is for gaming

3. Nice for LANS, or dorms

4. Not everyone can afford water cooling, or like it

5. I agree

6. You don't always need a fan in every spot, I have an unused fan mount next to my PSU in my 760t and there is not need for a fan there.

1. It looks stupid.

2. Very few

3. They're crap

4. reasonable. I just hate the color blue

1. I got one for my mom's i3 office machine. Works great.

2. It is bare minimum. Especially if Google Chrome is involved somehow

3. As I said, smaller easy to carry rigs I can see (like that little square one with a handle) I'm talking about the ones that are so small that heat WILL become an issue

4. All-in-ones

5. Agree (lol)

6. I tend to think having an unfilled fan spot causes turbulent airflow. I plan to test this one day, although I'm not sure how.

8GB of RAM is a good baseline to start at.

Again, bare minimum. Easy to max it out if you are multi-tasking. Especially when gaming when one or more chrome windows open. (usually only applies with multiple monitor setups, even if not gaming across multiple monitors)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Meh, I don't really have any pet peeves. If I'm present because they want my guidance yet don't listen, I don't bother arguing. I just let them suffer learning through hard knocks. Or just let them enjoy what they wanted, cause that's what they want. Regardless if it could have been "better", performance wise. *shrugs*

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

We all have them, those things that drive you crazy when other people do them. I have two things that people who are building PCs do, that drive me insane. 

1. People who build a $500-$600 PC and spend $100+ on a case. At that price range you should try to squeeze every bit of performance you can out of your PC, if you spend that much of your budget on a case that is just stupid. You loose so much performance for the outside of you PC to look good. I wouldn't recommend spending that much on case unless you are spending $1000+.

2. People who have VERY strict budgets. The people who say, for example, give me a $800 build and you give them something that costs $820, and they say, "That's to expensive I can't go over $800." That's ridicules you can spend $20 more to get something better. And don't say you don't have the money for it, you can get $20. The same thing goes for components, people will say, "I need a GPU that costs $330." You give them a 970 for $350, and they say they can't go that high, yes you can.  

Those are my two biggest pet peeves. What are some of your guys? 

Edit: Just thought of another one. People who don't put their GPU in the top slot.

Edit 2: Guys who get a locked CPU and, (A) (this one is the least bad) Put them in a Z series board, ( B ) put expensive cooling on them like H100is and NH-D15s, ( C ) Put them in a really expensive motherboard. I saw this guy the other day who had a i5 4590 on a sabertooth Z97 with a Dark Rock 3.

I'm the guy who got a locked cpu and put it in a z series board . . . I wanted to stay away from overclocking because i thought my pc would catch alight if i tried it and i couldnt find the h series equivalent of the board . . . regretting it a bit now but lol oh well. 

1. It looks stupid.

2. Very few

3. They're crap

4. reasonable. I just hate the color blue

1. I got one for my mom's i3 office machine. Works great.

2. It is bare minimum. Especially if Google Chrome is involved somehow

3. As I said, smaller easy to carry rigs I can see (like that little square one with a handle) I'm talking about the ones that are so small that heat WILL become an issue

4. All-in-ones

5. Agree (lol)

6. I tend to think having an unfilled fan spot causes turbulent airflow. I plan to test this one day, although I'm not sure how.

Again, bare minimum. Easy to max it out if you are multi-tasking. Especially when gaming when one or more chrome windows open. (usually only applies with multiple monitor setups, even if not gaming across multiple monitors)

I think you missed the first part . . . they were aesthetic (personal) comments lol. I love the colour blue :D 

You could test your turbulent airflow theory using a smoke machine. Just stick one up to a vent and the smoke will go through the system, and basically give you an idea of how the air is moving. 

1 People that make decent budget build gaming PC's but put crap or low end PSU's in them.

I'd personally be fine if it ment going for a R7 270X over a 280/280X/FX 8320 Over FX 8350/i5 4460 over 4690K to get something like a XFX XTR/Seasonic G/EVGA Supernova Over a Corsair CX/Thermaltake TR/EVGA B. but that's just me. And if i was building PC's for other people that would be something i would especially do.

2 6 Core i7's/i7's in general for gaming PC's,

Go down to a i5 4690K, Spend extra money on a Bigger SSD, Better graphics card,Beefier Cooling, Other upgrades....etc Seems nowadays more and more people are doing the same thing.

3 "Minimalist" Designs

Like the guy at the top xD, I'm not against minimalist designs, i think a really great case of good minimalist design (pun intended) is the Be quiet Silent base 800 with the orange accent. That manages to look good and does it in a minimalist way, But some cases just end up looking like eachover or end up being a bread sandwich.

But then again it might be good cause it leaves the user a blank sheet of paper to make it look good?

Again that's just me.

4 Single 8GB Sticks?

I dunno it just always bugged me, I'm a person that'd rather go for 2X4GB then get another 2X4GB later on, Having all the slots filled looks more aesthetically pleasing to me.

5 Fanless.

Again another personal one, I couldn't be comfortable with something that's fanless. Like PSU or Graphics card or CPU cooler. I'd rather get something that turns the fans off if cool enough/not being stressed rather than throwing out the fan completely.

I run my PSU (EVGA G2 850W) With the fan on cause i want it to be super cool even if it means nothing?.... but that's just my thing.

6 Black + Blue Intel Systems/Repainting the heatsinks/VRM to go with it and vice versa.

I kinda just find that also boring nowadays?, I'd love to see more Black and Red Intel systems myself or black and blue for AMD.

I might be guilty?, I have black and purple because purple is my favorite colour. But coincidentally I have a Intel CPU and a Radeon Graphics card, Blue + Red in a mix makes purple :D.

spoilers are for pointless personal stuff.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

1..its also totally stupid

2...yes..they can...if they can get 800..they can get another 20...if they can't..they shouldn't be building a pc..and should be more worried about buying food and clothing

What if I am a kid who gets money on my bday and Christmas or something and have 800 and I get more in December when it's January. Do you really want me to wait 11 months to get extra money?

00110000 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110001 00110001 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00110000 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110000 00110001 00110000 00110001 00100000 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110001 00110001 00110000 00110001