Pet peeves when it comes to people building PCs

ANewFace

Just realised that everything in my build cost the same, pretty much.

GPU was bought off my brother last week for £150 - most i've spent on a PC component.

That's good, GPU should be the most expensive part of your PC.

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

This thread is not locked yet?? I has become contentious.

Click Bait. :ph34r:

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

People who pick W7 over W8.1 in new builds because they "don't like how it looks" 

THERE ARE SO MANY PROGRAMS TO CHANGE THAT

STOP USING OUTDATED THINGS

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

People who pick W7 over W8.1 in new builds because they "don't like how it looks" 

I agree. Classic shell windows 8.1 that's what I did

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Build it of carpet.

Seriously though I think it would be to be my requirement for a decent psu.

I have a 200$ case, 600$ build

I got bashed for having a 129$ case on a 2k plus build, I just didn't see the point in spending 200$ on case unless I was doing a full custom loop.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

2. People who have VERY strict budgets. The people who say, for example, give me a $800 build and you give them something that costs $820, and they say, "That's to expensive I can't go over $800." That's ridicules you can spend $20 more to get something better. And don't say you don't have the money for it, you can get $20. The same thing goes for components, people will say, "I need a GPU that costs $330." You give the a 970 for $350, and they say they can't go that high, yes you can.  

Edit: Just thought of another one. People who don't put their GPU in the top slot.

Sometimes they are on a strict budget, i.e. they are only getting a set amount from a tax return/ they only have X amount of dollars and need to purchase it within a time frame but won't be able to add to existing funds between then.

So I would have to completely disagree with No# 2, sure you can recommend it but recommend something else also that is within their budget instead of being a tw*t

There are sometimes benefits to not having it in the top slot, for example heat from the CPU cooler. 

If you have a cpu cooler that blows towards the motherboard and you have a gpu that is prone to overheating the back side of the PCB it would make more sense to move it to the lower slot provided the PCI slot is the same speed.

My pet hate?

People buying overpriced systems for their needs.

I.e. a quad titan i7 watercooled machine for web browsing and the occasional game that uses the source engine. It's not needed and if you want to "future proof" you don't need to go that overboard.

I also hate it when people think that fans will reduce their system temps when the parts are the same temperature as the ambient room temp. This isn't phase cooling, you won't get negative degrees from a bit of air unless the air itself is negative degrees.

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Admittedly I was one of those that didn't upgrade for this reason even after I found out about the shell, I saw no point to upgrading, no real significant value in 8 that I was getting in 7, all programs work in both with obvious except to 'apps', on a pc it called a program or application this whole app thing is retarded. Why do I need a IE app when IE works better? (just an example).

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

One thing I have learned in life is you always budget lower then you can actually afford to spend, IE if you have 1200$ you can spend on a computer, try and budget for 1000 or so, that away if some thing ends up running a little over, or you over look something that you didn't think you needed you have a little extra money for it. Like lets say you were going to reuse and old keyboard you had in storage for a few years and then you plug it up and find out the roof in your storage unit was leaking and it is trash or you listen to everyone on here that tells you no don't get and optical drive, but then you find out that you want to put all your old dvds and blurays on your computer like I have been doing. Just saying if you only have 800$ plan a build for 750 so you have a little cushion. 

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

There's valid reasoning behind spending more on certain parts up front that might not make sense on the initial build. 

Spending more on a case up front can be a means of leaving options open for future upgrades. Otherwise you could end up with some seriously powerful hardware stuffed in a $30 cheap-o case with no air flow and other limitations. Same can be said about going with a nicer, better motherboard and/or an overkill PSU. All depends on what you're planning to do with it in the near or distant future. 

The case is the one part of the PC you're going to be looking at the most, so spending more to get something you really like is definitely worth it to some people. ;)

For me, one of the biggest PC part picking pet peeves is when people spend hundreds of dollars extra for a K CPU, high-end ZXX motherboard, big expensive CPU cooler and yet they never overclock and never plan to.    

Also, when people don't pay attention to the direction the fans flow and install some of them backwards. 

*edit* Another one is when people don't listen when you say to use *insert currency other than USD* and then they proceed to show you a build in USD regardless. Also, I noticed most people don't take into account taxes or shipping costs, which is significant in Canada. For Canadian builds, you should factor in 13% tax on the total cost and then reduce your budget accordingly. So if you're budget is $1000 total, you need to actually set your budget to $870 before tax. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

For me, one of the biggest PC part picking pet peeves is when people spend hundreds of dollars extra for a K CPU, high-end ZXX motherboard, big expensive CPU cooler and yet they never overclock and never plan to.    

I agree with this, I overclocked almost immediately after I got my system built. 

Arthur M. Schlesinger

I agree with this, I overclocked almost immediately after I got my system built. 

Same with me and GPUs. I do a few initial 3Dmark firestrike runs at stock to get a good baseline, then start overclocking. ;)

Even overclocked my locked i5. :P (there's a story behind why I have a locked i5 with a Z97 mobo, I didn't choose that combo initially ;) )

I asked one of my friends with a 3570k, H80i and some $200+ Z77 Asus board, "why don't you overclock it?" 

Him: "because I don't want to mess with it and I want to keep it stable."  

Me: "you know there is such a thing as a stable overclock. People do it all the time."

Him: "meh. I want to keep it cool and stable."

Me: "Then why spend the extra money if you're not going to OC?"

Him: "because I wanted the option to do so."

Me:

52a74cdc1605fb032300010e.jpg?w=400

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I haven't bothered to over clock my 780ti evga sc I got in my system yet. I did overclock the 460m that is in my asus g73 notebook though lol.

Arthur M. Schlesinger

I can't speak for everyone else, but I didn't choose Windows 7 over Windows 8 because of the way it looks (hell, I have a custom theme installed specifically to make it look like Windows 8) I chose it because of the mountain of compatibility issues I ran into while trying to Windows 8. It just didn't function properly for me. Windows 7 might be "outdated" but at least it works.

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?”

I can't speak for everyone else, but I didn't choose Windows 7 over Windows 8 because of the way it looks (hell, I have a custom theme installed specifically to make it look like Windows 8) I chose it because of the mountain of compatibility issues I ran into while trying to Windows 8. It just didn't function properly for me. Windows 7 might be "outdated" but at least it works.

Windows 8.1 doesn't have many compatibility issues anymore, and even then Windows has "compatibility mode." I'm sure Windows 7 had compatibility issues when it just came out, but that's not a problem anymore. Winodws 8.1 has a lot of features over Windows 7 that you might not notice if you're not very... techie, and also provides better performance in games

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

I saw a customer build in person at the local frys. It really urked me.  It was a corsair 900d case with 30 led fans if I remember correctly, plus led strips in every nook and cranny.  It looked like a green road flare.  So overdoing leds is a peeve of mine.

He also had 2 $100 fan controllers (can't remember brand but it was his word)

Then he mentions he has a gtx960.  So you spent $300 on corsair fans and $200 on fan controllers, but you cheaped out on a 960?

MOBO- MSI z97 gaming 5  CPU- I5 4690k   GPU- G1 Gaming gtx970  RAM- 16gb Corsair Vegeance  PSU- Corsair RM650  COOLING- Corsair H110iGT 

STORAGE- AMD r7 120gb SSD / 500gb HDD  CASE- Phanteks Enthoo Luxe   Sound-  Logitech z506 / Corsair Void  Peripherals- G710, G502

Windows 8.1 doesn't have many compatibility issues anymore, and even then Windows has "compatibility mode." I'm sure Windows 7 had compatibility issues when it just came out, but that's not a problem anymore. Winodws 8.1 has a lot of features over Windows 7 that you might not notice if you're not very... techie, and also provides better performance in games

Windows 8.1 is what I was using. And I'm sure it's not an issue with things like games and programs that are regularly updated, but when you're using older programs that the devs have abandoned, it's another thing entirely. Windows 8/8.1 has nothing to offer me personally that I can't get (with 100% stability) from Windows 7. It might be snappier and better optimised, but I barely noticed the difference. I'm not a power user by any stretch of the imagination, so Windows 7 suits me just fine.

“Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV?”

like when people decide not to install drivers... Or when they decide to do a "upgrade" install over a "custom" one cause their too lazy to save those 3 pictures before they do it.

How do you fuck that up?

Srsly?

"Yo Bro - Where be that 'any' key?"

"Srsly?"

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Edit: Just thought of another one. People who don't put their GPU in the top slot.

But what if the top slot is a 1x slot! Hahaha I know what you mean though. My GPU is in my first 16x slot.

I'm a student currently attending the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, if you attend or around there please don't hesitate to contact me!

Mudkip: CPU: i5-4670k; Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo; Memory: 16GBs Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz; Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD5H; GPU: ASUS DCUII 770 2GB @ 1254MHz; HDD: Seagate Barracude 1TB; PSU: CX750M; Case: ThermalTake A31 Chaser Thunder

I have a pentium g3220 and a titan x. 

You are not serious????

Nvidia vs. AMD is even worse, because they are both truly viable. 

well, but... nope i won't continue any further :P

a pet peeve of mine is people who completely change op's build (without explanation), often op already has done some searching and wants some parts because of certain reasons. 

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace