ASUS R9 380 Strix pics and video - one of first AMD cards made with ASUS Auto Extreme Technology

Bouzoo

As we know, ASUS is the first manufacturer to fully automate their GPU production which gives them a number of advantages. You can find more about that here (as well as many other things, like a debate of what evil is). OC3D has got their hands on one of these cards and my god it's a thing of beauty. You can barely see any solder, no matter where you look.

The increased precision in which ASUS is making their GPUs allows them not just to produce cleaner PCBs, but allows them to use much stricter methods for internal testing, meaning that their GPUs will be less likely to be built with or delivered to retailers with faults. With this new method of production ASUS will have a greatly reduced rate of returns and their users will have a reduced chance of buying a faulty or dead GPU. 

ASUS were not lying when they said that their PCBs would be cleaner than ever before> Every point where we would usually see soldering points on the PCB (like under the capacitors and the MOSFETs) we see barely any solder, which makes the PCB look much tidier and much less visible inside your system.

We would almost say that this eliminate the aesthetic need for a back plate on lower end GPUs, as the large solder points are what we typically want a backplate to cover up.

We definitely see this new manufacturing process give ASUS a distinct advantage in the lower end market, where GPUs typically do not have a backplate, as the PCBs of their GPUs should look much cleaner than the competition.

17092807785l.jpg

17092807921l.jpg17100311497l.jpg17100311341l.jpg17100434140l.jpg

17100434464l.jpg

17100434546l.jpg

17100434468l.jpg

17100434400l.jpg

17100434659l.jpg

What do you think? Prefer this or do you like more solder?

Source

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

-snip-

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

Couldn't they have attempted to make it look different than their other cards?

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

*cough*same*cough*thing*cough*

I think there is something stuck in your throat, could it be.. Salt? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

/jk

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

For some reason it was posted when I was editing, just updated it to full post.

@Mihemine it's not mine, it's from OC3D

Are you completely incapable of writing something more intelligent? 

Yep. Hate me for it. The performance of this card isn't going to be anything groundbreaking so this is why I have a silly approach to this topic.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

*cough*280*cough*rebrand*cough*

It's a R9 285 rebrand if I remember right

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

285 actually, Tonga. GCN 1.2

Don't be an ass. 

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

Yep. Hate me for it. The performance of this card isn't going to be anything groundbreaking so this is why I have a silly approach to this topic.

Have you ever considered not to post anything instead of posting something that comes of as mentally retarded and doesn't add anything to the topic and discussion? 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Not bad. I kinda want one. :D

Have you ever considered not to post anything instead of posting something that comes of as mentally retarded and doesn't add anything to the topic and discussion? 

oooooooooooooooooooooooo rekt 10/10 IGN

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Cough Did you know that my GT 210 is as good as a retarded Titan X Cough

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Not sure if you noticed, but this is not about it's performance, so if you wanna bash about that, go to the topic about 3xx performance and don't post stupid things here because you "have a silly approach", or even better, don't post them.

9c8c0170cf056a4e1bb11c5a6cfa8ac3bd1c97a7

This soldering process looks promising and will be good news for folks without backplates However, that cooler looks like it actively cools the core and disregards the Memory and VRMs.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I want linus to take a tour of this factory.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

I want linus to take a tour of this factory.

I'm sure Linus wants that more than all of us together.  :lol:

Who gives a crap really?  As long as they're staying competitive and releasing products, why does it matter?

Nvidia has been rebranding GPU's for ages, go bitch about that as well pls.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Who gives a crap really?  As long as they're staying competitive and releasing products, why does it matter?

Nvidia has been rebranding GPU's for ages, go bitch about that as well pls.

Not bitching about anything here.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

As someone pointed before...the Strix cooler, and DCUII for that matter overlooks the VRAM and mosfets.

I'd wait for MSI's TFV. Those are some really good built cards and also look badass.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

With the back plate on, you can't even tell whether it's soldered by hand or done by Auto Extreme. -_-

Asus should do like a clear back plate or a small cut out window, showing a portion of the clean pcb.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

285 rebrand. Got too much shit for getting this wrong.

Good, fanboys deserve to be punished :D