Why is everyone upset that AMD only launched 4 new cards?

Thor829

With the recent launch of AMD's new cards everyone seems to one to set them on fire for only releasing 4 new cards. If i am not mistaken Nvidia has only release 5 new cards in the past several months and they are saints. So why is it that when you release 4 new cards its like the end of the world, Even when most of the other cards are still competitive?

Because 90% of the lineup are the same cards as the 200 series, but some have so much VRAM it doesn't even make sense *cough* 390x *cough*?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

only fury stuff is new others are rebrands of 7XXX series

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Because people are stupid and immature.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

only fury stuff is new others are rebrands of 7XXX series

the 290x was a new chip, not a 7xxx rebrand

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Nvidia's "only five cards" are for the entire range, not just a bunch of top tier cards. ;)

Most likely because they are simply rebadges from what I have heard...and only one actually being a new card.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

exactly 4 new Fury cards nvidia has launched 5 cards in what 8 months? not including the rebrands at all just the fury series.

the 290x was a new chip, not a 7xxx rebrand

the one that got away, my bad.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Because 90% of the lineup are the same cards as the 200 series, but some have so much VRAM it doesn't even make sense *cough* 390x *cough*?

Yeah with the vram thing the r9 370 is a re-branded r7 265, but they have added a 4gb model

i3 4170 : Asus R9 270 : MSI h81M-Pro VD : Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO : Seagate Barracuda 1TB : NZXT Source 210 : Some Random RAM

With the recent launch of AMD's new cards everyone seems to one to set them on fire for only releasing 4 new cards. If i am not mistaken Nvidia has only release 5 new cards in the past several months and they are saints. So why is it that when you release 4 new cards its like the end of the world, Even when most of the other cards are still competitive?

Some of it is just people misunderstanding the new release platform. Especially those who aren't following it closely.

Some of it is fanboys - especially those of the green side, who might feel threatened or just get a "thrill" from putting down AMD.

And some of it is just from disgruntled gamers who feel "upset" that they're reusing old technology - despite that technology still being perfectly good, and competitive with similarly priced NVIDIA offerings.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

AMD Only needs one top tier card to bring them on top, aka the fury. Can't wait to see how the Fury compares to the 980ti and how the FuryX compares with temperatures. With the fury being $100 cheaper then the 980Ti it will sure bring AMD on top. Also wanna see how the FuryX2 compares to the 295x2

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I don't know if I'm the only one that noticed but they pushed the 370 down to the R7 series not the R9 if any thing the restructured the tiers.

Because people are stupid and immature.

Agreed. Both Nvidia and AMD have been doing this for a long time.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Some of it is just people misunderstanding the new release platform. Especially those who aren't following it closely.

Some of it is fanboys - especially those of the green side, who might feel threatened or just get a "thrill" from putting down AMD.

And some of it is just from disgruntled gamers who feel "upset" that they're reusing old technology - despite that technology still being perfectly good, and competitive with similarly priced NVIDIA offerings.

The only thing I could say here is about the last part, as a gamer Im kinda let down. I mean lets be honest, we all were hoping for AMD to finally pull through and deliver some really good stuff, and they just didnt :( We always want new and more powerful and they didnt really give that.

Sure the hardware is still good and viable, but its not new :(

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

290 is also a new card not from the 7XXX series

Space is pretty awesome.

They aren't "simply rebadges".

The 3XX series of GPUs support DX 12 stuff that the 2XX did not. They added features & VRAM. That's not just a rebadge.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

THANK YOU, FIRST PERSON WHO UNDERSTANDS IT CORRECTLY.

The only thing I could say here is about the last part, as a gamer Im kinda let down. I mean lets be honest, we all were hoping for AMD to finally pull through and deliver some really good stuff, and they just didnt :( We always want new and more powerful and they didnt really give that.

Why does it matter if it is new or not. You know, I hate this about techies. You give them a perfectly fine card and say it is "new" They will be like AWESOME! BRING IT ON! YEAH!. But if you release a faster card and say it was an year old card with improvements, they will be like "Not for me"

Do you buy hardware for the bragging rights or usefulness?

Because NVIDIA actually released stuff that improves performance by significant margins.

Fury Nano is 2x more powerefficent and faster. Thats not significant?

The FuryX is 1.7x faster.

You have to realize -

GTX 780 < 290x

GTX 970 Meh 290x

Titan X <Fury X

AMD has made a bgger jump

the one that got away, my bad.

R9 380 is unlocked tonga, not a rebrand also

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

I can't agree with you here. They delivered FOUR new cards. A dual GPU Furyx2 (Titan Z, but likely way way faster), a Flagship Fury X (Titan X competitor), a 2nd tier Fury (980 Ti competitor) and a Fury Nano (980 competitor).

Frankly, I was worried before the launch, specifically about whether they would have a 980 competitor, since the 390x doesn't seem like it will quite match a 980 blow for blow. But once they dropped the Fury Nano on us, my fears evaporated.

So who cares if the rest are rebranded? They now have a GPU in every single price bracket, that competes with (matching or beating) the respective similarly priced NVIDIA card.

Who cares if the 390x is just a 290x rebranded, when it is priced to compete against the 970 and trades blows with it?

If the price matches the performance, then it really doesn't matter that much if it's an older card.

AMD launched their new Fiji GPU as the top 4 cards (Top 3 cards if you discount the dual GPU variant), which gives them an EXCELLENT performance spread.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Because NVIDIA actually released stuff that improves performance by significant margins.

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhh what? Have you seen the benchmarks AMD released in Beijing for the Fury X? We of course need to wait for independent reviews to confirm/verify this, but if true, then it absolutely DESTROYS the 980 Ti, while being the same price or cheaper, while being fully liquid cooled, so it'll be quieter and cooler.

The reference 980 Ti runs hot as fuck... like, 290x space heater jokes hot.

How is that not improving performance by a significant margin? Your post seems incredibly biased.

^ this ^

AMD doesnt have the budget to make new shit. people need to calm down. 

with a graphics card: if it gets the job done and the price makes sense why replace it. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

So mainly just blind hate is what I'm getting here? 4 new cards is pretty good and the price that they are going for is great. i truly am excited at least this means in the spring when i build my new rig i can still run AMD graphics when i probably switch to x99