Restoring an iMac to factory settings

nicon

Ok, this will sound super sketchy, but I promise you everything is ok.

I recently was given a 2011 iMac 20". My mom wants to use it as a "family computer", even thought we all have our own pc's. The previous owner did not wipe the HDD, so I can't get in to the desktop to wipe it myself (I don't have their password). The previous owner forgot their password. How can I manually wipe it without opening it up? Is there come key combo I have to hold during boot to wipe it? Something similar? I can't open it up, since I would have to take the front glass off to get to the hard drive, and I don't have any glass-suction-y things.

This pc was actually given to me by someone who thought it was broken (video card issues), for parts. When I turned it on, it seemed fine. The giver just moved out of the country, so I can't give it back to them. I normally would, considering that it works.

This sounds like the weirdest story. It's 100% true though.

broad_axe.jpg

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

If you have access to another mac, you can create re-installation media (CD or USB) for Mac OS and just do a fresh start that way. 

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

If you have access to another mac, you can create re-installation media (CD or USB) for Mac OS and just do a fresh start that way. 

basicly this, other than that you're out of luck.

Yeah, I have a Mac book pro, but from my experience with hackintoshes, the EFI and plist files are radically different for each model. Can't hurt to try though.

Press c while starting up to boot off optical drive, or option(or alt) to choose a boot drive. You'll need a wired keyboard though, this does not work with Bluetooth.

You can then reinstall from the install disk.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Yeah, I have a Mac book pro, but from my experience with hackintoshes, the EFI and plist files are radically different for each model. Can't hurt to try though.

Use DiscMakerX to create an installer USB. You'll need an 8GB drive or bigger.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.