How to: change the fan of your PSU

MG2R

Ok, thanks for this guide.. I guess I might do this later on, I currently use the Corsair TX650 v2 wich has the 0 RPM fan if under 30% load thing. But once Im done with my build I will see how much noise the PSU fan makes and if to much, will replace it! 

NZXT Phantom windowed, Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel 2600K, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA 780 Classified, Crucial Ballistic Tactical, Crucial M4 128GB + Samsung 850 EVO, Corsair RM850, Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Peripherals: Sennheiser HD598, FinalMouse Classic, SteelSeries Qck Heavy, Ducky Shine Zero (MX Brown), AOC G2460PF & Qnix QX2710

Build Log: Phantom - Antique Noctua

Sweet. Just sweet.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wonderful guide, my only gripe is the volume of your voice with the distance away from the camera, quite quiet but none the less a great guide. 

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

Nice guide, I'm going to try this with my Corsair GS800, because the fan control mechanism isn't working correctly and because of that, the fan doesn't spin fast but produces horribly loud coil-whining.

Nice guide, I'm going to try this with my Corsair GS800, because the fan control mechanism isn't working correctly and because of that, the fan doesn't spin fast but produces horribly loud coil-whining.

Just RMA it and get the 2013 Edition if it's still under warranty?, it's a known fault of the models before the 2013 edition.

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

I've been thinking about doing that, but RMA is a bit time consuming (and I need my pc almost every day) and fixing it yourself is also a bit more fun. My local retailer also usually returns you the exact same product that you bought under warranty, so chances are the new psu has the same error.

While I love taking stuff apart, this is one thing I won't do. First thing I was taught was don't open PSUs or CRT monitors

• 4 months later...

This is an awesome tutorial. :D I just found it. 

I recently (like 2 months ago) tried to dye my Noctua fan. It failed miserably. Rit Dye doesn't work anymore imo. Though I used the powder and not the liquid dye, I used double the recommended amount and left it in the water twice as long but it still barely changed color (it's slightly darker). I was going for black.

Anyway, in doing this, I burned the cable insulation half way down the wires, and I broke the 3-pin header. So now it's only half the wires with copper sticking out, but the fan still works

I will try putting this fan in my PSU if possible. It's an NF-F14 though, so I doubt it will fit. We will see if I can figure something out (zip ties). :P

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Depending on the model of PSU you have, you could have a 140mm fan in there ;)

It's a 120mm fan (Thanks @Whaler_99). 

Zip Ties it is.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

• 8 months later...

I have a question:

I have a Antec Neo Eco 400M (low-mid range PSU) and I'm going to buy a Akasa Apache to replace its fan.

Can I pass the 4-pin fan cable out of the psu, connect it to the motherboard, and leave the psu fan header with nothing connected? Will the psu work as normal, or try to prevent system start because it doesn't detect a fan connected?

I have a question:

I have a Antec Neo Eco 400M (low-mid range PSU) and I'm going to buy a Akasa Apache to replace its fan.

Can I pass the 4-pin fan cable out of the psu, connect it to the motherboard, and leave the psu fan header with nothing connected? Will the psu work as normal, or try to prevent system start because it doesn't detect a fan connected?

i did this on an old spire psu and it worked. but then be sure to set a fan curve based on combined load 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I figured that I would share my success story real quick. So I decided to get a NF-A14 PWM for Corsair TX V2 850W, run the fan connector to my motherboard and it worked great! This way I can monitor the fan speed and adjust it using the rudimentary fan curve in my BIOS.

NUB0soG.png

Would I be able to use, instead of soldering, luster terminals to connect the wires to eachother?   

https://glosbe.com/da/en/samlemuffe

Yes.

I figured that I would share my success story real quick. So I decided to get a NF-A14 PWM for Corsair TX V2 850W, run the fan connector to my motherboard and it worked great! This way I can monitor the fan speed and adjust it using the rudimentary fan curve in my BIOS.

Nice :)

I did the same thing on my latest desktop build: route the entire fan header to the motherboard for absolute control :)

• 2 months later...

Did you actually need to cut the cable on the NFF-12? From the looks of it you could've just matched the pins while using the 4 pin connector from the other fan. Like cutting a fan extender in half for instance?

Did you actually need to cut the cable on the NFF-12? From the looks of it you could've just matched the pins while using the 4 pin connector from the other fan. Like cutting a fan extender in half for instance?

The recepticle on the PSU's PCB has edges preventing a wrong connector being attached ;)

I'll have you know that my ghetto CX430M still hasn't failed. :P Now it's in my sister's computer that I gave to her.

20302245040_ba99e2b7ec_b.jpg20150811_121544 by Travis McClelland, on Flickr

20302244510_7196d29167_b.jpg20150811_121617 by Travis McClelland, on Flickr

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

• 1 year later...

How to change Computer Power Supply FAN PSU FAN

https://youtu.be/G8th7FQmgfs

Its hard to focus when you have a noisy computer running next to you.

Behold the solution is available to you now
Change to Noctua NF-A12x15 FLX 3PIN FAN.

Silverstone SFX_L PSU are notoriously known for Imbalanced Rotors, when running in low rpm and vertical position they make galloping noise.

I tried 3 different fans before I bite the NOCTUA Bullet.
Silverstone SST-FN123 12015 - Made Grinding Noise
Corsair 12025 FAN - Too big to fit in Power Supply
OEM FAN - Made Annoying galloping Noise