Will a cheap sound card make a notice able difference?

The Nut

Hi

I have been watched almost all of the Linus tech tips videos and noticed he mention that sound cards make a big difference however that is mainly with high end sound cards and head phones. 

So i was wondering will a cheap sound card, e.g. the Asus Xonar DG (i have noticed Linus says they are the best) make a difference over my Mobo MSI B75A-G43, with Microlab FC360 2.1 .

I play a lot of games and listen to music ( some FLAC) so, what difference will a cheap sound card make.

Thanks

Yes it will still make a huge difference. Everything will sound much clearer and just... better, same effect as a GPU upgrade say from an intergrated GPU to a HD7770 but to your sound and not graphics :P 

Yes, Unless you have a board like the maximus vi formula, that has high end audio solutions build it, most sound cards will give you a better audio experience than on board.

If you're going to bother, I'd suggest going with something a little more powerful. Maybe a DX if you can swing it. 

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Probably a bit but it will depend on your sound system.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

thanks all, for the quick replay.

i think i will try to get a DG as that seems good unless you think it is seriously worth spending £10-20 more??

Thanks

For me my sound card cant output the bass my headset can handle, so i cant hear anything coming from bass speaker..

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

For me my sound card cant output the bass my headset can handle, so i cant hear anything coming from bass speaker..

?

what speakers and headphones do you have that justify this sound card?  I'm not worried about their price. Are they not loud enough or very noisy?

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I think your problem is that there's a bass speaker at all...

I think your problem is that there's a bass speaker at all...

but,but... without a bass speaker, you don't hear footsteps and explosions.

as everyone knows bass hertz are the best hertz.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I do love me some bass hertz

north-korea-is-best-korea-kim-jong-ill-m

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."