AMD - A New Era In PC Gaming

Opcode

Sure, in the latest tech talk, he said among other things:

• Stating AMD is still on PCIe gen 2 on the motherboards. - Asus released the first PCIe Gen 3 AMD motherboard in jan. 2013.
  • Claiming that AMD doesn't make money off the consoles - They do.
  • Claim the consoles are still subsidized by MS/Sony - They're not. That is why they are so "weak" for the money.
  • Says Fury X might have the lead, but Pascal with HBM2 will squash the Fury X. He then goes on to say that AMD can't afford the R&D for second gen HBM (wtf, AMD dev'd it with sk Hynix), and they will just rebrand fury and fall behind. - Of course this is bs, as fury won't battle Pascal. Rather AMD will release a 14nm finfet gpu called Greenland with HBM2. AMD might even release HBM2 before NVidia, due to their cooperation with sk Hynix.

He generally has a positive spin on all things NVidia, and generally a negative spin on all things AMD. I don't care if he prefers NVidia; that is his prerogatory; he's a reviewer, he should be as objective as possible.

• He was referring to FX which the chipset spec does not support PCIe 3.0. There is a way with a PLX chip to get simulated PCIe 3.0 but he is right when saying FX doesn't support it. (Here, read paragraph 3)
  • Nobody knows for sure but it is expected that they aren't making much with the console sales being high but profit low for that part of AMD.
  • He was talking about last gen consoles which were being sold for less than the cost to manufacture at launch. He followed that with (that is why they went with cheaper hardware this time to avoid that) 
  • That is just his prediction and it is expected that Pascal will lead over AMD for a while until AMD fires back 

Question is how much of that is required VRAM utilization and how much is just loading in stuff which is not gonna be used for now? The proof of the pudding will be in the fury reviews. If it stutters at 4k due to VRAM bottleneck then AMD has a problem. If it works smoothly then all is good... Bring on the reviews.

that's why AMD didn't put 8Gb on 290X and 390(X)  :rolleyes:

Mistakes happen. When you're working alone it's even easier to have something like this slip through the cracks. It's good of him to admit his mistake, amend the video and move on. He doesn't owe you anything.

Right up until the part of "amending the video" that's hypocritical.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The amount of butthurt in this forum is unbelievable, everyone is entitled to their opinion; no need to be cursing other people. people on this forum need to chill out, no need to be toxic about it  <_<

No benchmarks. Thread half filled with fangasm and half flamewar. 

r9 Nano is so tiny and cute though  :wub:

Edit: Oh right and playable 5K res.

Playable 5k? At what, low settings? :D

5k has 75% more pixels than 4k right? With 4gb of vram? They just had to beat nvidia with claims :D

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Right up until the part of "amending the video" that's hypocritical.

No it's not.

i'm just wondering... why would AMD know less about vram requirements of games than random LTTers

LTT members know everything about PC's mate.

i am fairly sure that AMD will survive Nvidias Pascal arrival  with cards like the fury X, Nano, Pro, 295x2, 8GB 290x and Fury X2 coming later this year . They already anounced 14nm  HBM2 Gpus for next year... 

AMD Rig - (Upgraded): FX 8320 @ 4.8 Ghz, Corsair H100i GTX, ROG Crosshair V Formula, Ghz, 16 GB 1866 Mhz Ram, Msi R9 280x Gaming 3G @ 1150 Mhz, Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB, Win 10 Home

(My first Intel + Nvidia experience  - recently bought ) : MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G ( i7 6820HK, 16 GB RAM, 980M SLI, GSync, 1080p , 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD... FeelsGoodMan

@Opcode

Those specs you listed for Fury (not X) and Nano, where do you get those from?
They seem wrong and I can't find any place were their specs are listed.

Important to not have wrong information, specially in big threads like this

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

that's why AMD didn't put 8Gb on 290X and 390(X) :rolleyes:

Or.... They did that because they are slower than the 980 and they need a way to sell them.

Sure, in the latest tech talk, he said among other things:

• 1) Stating AMD is still on PCIe gen 2 on the motherboards. - Asus released the first PCIe Gen 3 AMD motherboard in jan. 2013.
  • 2) Claiming that AMD doesn't make money off the consoles - They do.
  • 3) Claim the consoles are still subsidized by MS/Sony - They're not. That is why they are so "weak" for the money.
  • 4) Says Fury X might have the lead, but Pascal with HBM2 will squash the Fury X. He then goes on to say that AMD can't afford the R&D for second gen HBM (wtf, AMD dev'd it with sk Hynix), and they will just rebrand fury and fall behind. - Of course this is bs, as fury won't battle Pascal. Rather AMD will release a 14nm finfet gpu called Greenland with HBM2. AMD might even release HBM2 before NVidia, due to their cooperation with sk Hynix.
He generally has a positive spin on all things NVidia, and generally a negative spin on all things AMD. I don't care if he prefers NVidia; that is his prerogatory; he's a reviewer, he should be as objective as possible.
1) Amd's AM3+ still is on pcie2. Just because asus utilized a third party chipset giving that ONE board pcie3 doesn't mean AMD's fx supports pcie3. That's like saying Intel allows for more than 16 lanes on the consumer platform because you can get a board with a PLX chip to allow the use of more lanes.

2) Does amd make money off the consoles? Is it a meaningful margin or is it only a very small percent/amount? I'd like a source proving/disproving this claim.

3) Was he referring to when they were first launched as I believe they were being sold at cost at the time of launch -- I.e when a large chunk of them were sold.

4) I have no idea about this so I won't comment on it.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5k has 75% more pixels than 4k right? With 4gb of vram? They just had to beat nvidia with claims :D

Don't forget that with DX12 VRAM doesn't have to be mirrored in Crossfire configurations. So a "FuryX2" would actually have 8GB of HBM available.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

4) I have no idea about this so I won't comment on it.

Yeah, nobody does. HBM2 is not ready until next year ( www.videocardz.com/55259/sk-hynix-shows-off-hbm1-and-hbm2) and nvidia have said they will wait for that for pascal. (http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/ceo-of-nvidia-cant-wait-to-tell-you-about-future-pascal-products-in-the-pipeline/). Really nvidia has nothing until then, although they could release a dual gpu card. 

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Or.... They did that because they are slower than the 980 and they need a way to sell them.

sell them to, whom exactly? people that got 2 290X with 4Gb would not've jumped to 8Gb model

AMD's market share in discrete graphic cards for Q1 2015 is totaling ~2.5mil units ranging from low end to pro series: http://jonpeddie.com/publications/add-in-board-report

considering those numbers, the 3xx series is aimed at who? and they expect to sell 3xx series and Fury!??! are they trippin' 

Idk, Lisa Su walked by the Demo and said Tomb raider 2013 5K 60fps and Sniper elite 3 5K 45fps  :huh:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

sell them to, whom exactly? people that got 2 290X with 4Gb would not've jumped to 8Gb model

AMD's market share in discrete graphic cards for Q1 2015 is totaling ~2.5mil units ranging from low end to pro series: http://jonpeddie.com/publications/add-in-board-report

considering those numbers, the 3xx series is aimed at who? and they expect to sell 3xx series and Fury!??! are they trippin' 

Amd has increased market share to %35, good on them

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

i'm just wondering... why would AMD know less about vram requirements of games than random LTTers

They're accounting for the pixie dust that is 35% more bandwith than GDDR5 and expecting us to believe them.

4GB is NOT enough for 4K.

However, they would have us believe that with internal bandwith you can make up for that. Time will tell.

It'll be a moot discussion in DirectX 12 anyway.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Idk, Lisa Su walked by the Demo and said Tomb raider 2013 5K 60fps and Sniper elite 3 5K 45fps  :huh:

Honestly if it's low everything I can believe it, if not, I won't buy the claims anything until we see footage.

Idk, Lisa Su walked by the Demo and said Tomb raider 2013 4K 60fps and Sniper elite 3 5K 45fps   :huh:

I think it was like this. Will check the stream again to see.

I guess both are at 5k.

They're accounting for the pixie dust that is 35% more bandwith than GDDR5 and expecting us to believe them.

4GB is NOT enough for 4K.

However, they would have us believe that with internal bandwith you can make up for that. Time will tell.

It'll be a moot discussion in DirectX 12 anyway.

4GB is enough for 4k the R9 295x2 has proven that.

• He was referring to FX which the chipset spec does not support PCIe 3.0. There is a way with a PLX chip to get simulated PCIe 3.0 but he is right when saying FX doesn't support it. (Here, read paragraph 3)
  • Nobody knows for sure but it is expected that they aren't making much with the console sales being high but profit low for that part of AMD.
  • He was talking about last gen consoles which were being sold for less than the cost to manufacture at launch. He followed that with (that is why they went with cheaper hardware this time to avoid that) 
  • That is just his prediction and it is expected that Pascal will lead over AMD for a while until AMD fires back 

• Fact of the matter is that new, even 2 year old AMD motherboards support pcie gen 3. So what was his point again?
  • http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20130528222526_AMD_Will_Receive_60_100_for_Every_SoC_for_Next_Gen_Game_Consoles.html 60-100$ per console. Their embedded soc business is up and making a lot, since these current gen consoles where released. They are making a lot on them.
  • That was his argument for claiming AMD did not make much off of the consoles. That was true then, not now. Either ways it's irrelevant what MS or Sony makes off of the console. AMD is paid for their chips.
  • And it's based on not even knowing about Greenland. So we can already debunk his entire "prediction". It would not surprise me if Greenland is released before pascal. Not like TSMC knows how to do anything right atm. Also AMD probably has first right to HBM 2 as well. But we will see.

Point is that his statements are coloured green and without any basis on facts, or at least what we know.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Amd has increased market share to %35, good on them

lol no! you read it quite wrong!  :lol:

they lost 12.5% market share from last year to Q1 2015, being at 22.5%

Table1rev2.JPG

I think it was like this.  :P

No it hasn't, in Crysis 3 the minimum FPS drops under 30, completely unacceptable. (First example I could think of, bet there are other games with similar results)

And we also only have like 3 games with select 8192p textures yet - which will be a new standard on at least player characters/ skin/ clothing. (Dying Light, The Witcher 3 and I forgot the last one)

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I think it was like this. Will check the stream again to see.

Iirc people were running out of vram (on this forum) with the 970 on GTAV at 1080p. That a bug or something?

If true

B  A  S  E  D

A

S

E

D

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Honestly if it's low everything I can believe it, if not, I won't buy the claims anything until we see footage.

Setting were not specified. Dr Lisa Su was like "Bam 5k in yo face" 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

someone posted these on 4chan /g/, not sure if legit or not

eW6YDt2.pngPStk2Zs.png