Microsoft Announces Xbox one Backwards Compatibility, Even Servers

Uwillparish

Get a nice TV cabinet and store all your consoles in it :D

No thank you :P

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

No thank you :P

I have mine on a nice glass stand with all my consoles beneath it (and some hidden away but still connected too)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think TotalBiscuit nailed E3 on the head.

Only good news this year was Fallout 4.

Mass Effect

Deus Ex

Batman

Dishonored

Doom

Just Cause

Metal Gear

Star Wars Battlefront

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Mass Effect

Deus Ex

Batman

Dishonored

Doom

Just Cause

Metal Gear

Star Wars Battlefront

Doom and Mass effect were mildly interesting. I've no interest in the others though. Perhaps I should have said "only thing I found exciting about E3 was Fallout 4"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Maybe someone can explain to me why I don't find this as big of a deal as others. They are releasing a emulator update and it will only work with certified games that you will either have to have the disc for or repurchase, correct? Each game will require a download, disc or digital, correct? What is being downloaded? What games are being supported? I keep seeing everyone yell about BO2 but I have not heard nor seen anything where its been claimed to be one of the supported. What makes a limited amount of game support for an old generation exciting or am I missing something?

*Disclaimer, this is not a console hate or "My PC has always been backwards compatible" question. I'm on many forums where the hype is real but I believe it's mostly made up hype and not correct so I'm just trying to understand what's actually happening.

Maybe someone can explain to me why I don't find this as big of a deal as others. They are releasing a emulator update and it will only work with certified games that you will either have to have the disc for or repurchase, correct? Each game will require a download, disc or digital, correct? What is being downloaded? What games are being supported? I keep seeing everyone yell about BO2 but I have not heard nor seen anything where its been claimed to be one of the supported. What makes a limited amount of game support for an old generation exciting or am I missing something?

*Disclaimer, this is not a console hate or "My PC has always been backwards compatible" question. I'm on many forums where the hype is real but I believe it's mostly made up hype and not correct so I'm just trying to understand what's actually happening.

The way they designed it is that all it takes is for a publishers to give the go-ahead. MS doesn't have to do any code changes or game specific emulation. What they are emulating is the hardware itself and the OS is running on that emulation layer. The only thing they can't do are Kinect games and they're working out how to handle multi-disc games. What downloads is a little file for the XB1 OS features and stuff like that. The way it works is the game thinks it's running on the 360 OS (it is), the 360 OS thinks it's running on native hardware (it's not) and the XB1 simply thinks it's one big game called "360" which allows stuff like Game DVR, Streaming, etc to work. So what happens when a publisher says it's okay MS just has to do a little QA to make sure everything is working and it's good to go. Digital and disc based games both work. I believe you have to install disc based games on the system like you do for XB1 games. Based on the list for preview members it looks like XBLA games should work as well.

I think TotalBiscuit nailed E3 on the head.

Only good news this year was Fallout 4.

Lmao, the best part-Madden AFL 2015.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Every home console since the Wii and every portable since the GBC. Also if you include the VC service, which isn't exhaustive but it is there, it goes back further than just one generation. On the 3DS you can play 3DS, DS, GBC, GB, GameGear and NES games. On the Wii U you can play Wii U, Wii, N64, SNES, NES and GBA games. It's not perfect, the Wii U is missing Gamecube and the 3DS misses out on GBA. Likely for technical reasons. But it ain't bad.

That said, PC backwards compatibility puts them all to shame ;)

you totally didn't include the game cube

Just saying this is another one of those "if it was pc gaming people would be all like 'okay?', but for consoles it's 'Holy Crap!')

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

you totally didn't include the game cube"

And? It has full Wii BC alongside a VC service where you can buy games from every Nintendo platform upto the N64. While Microsoft has partial BC for 360 games and Sony has partial BC for PS3 games through a paid service. And I believe I said, and you even quoted, "It's not perfect, the Wii U is missing Gamecube and the 3DS misses out on GBA. Likely for technical reasons. But it ain't bad". 

So I'm not sure what your point is. In terms of BC PCs get it best followed by Nintendo's model, then Microsoft and Sony at the end. That's all I'm saying here.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

And? It has full Wii BC alongside a VC service where you can buy games from every Nintendo platform upto the N64. While Microsoft has partial BC for 360 games and Sony has partial BC for PS3 games through a paid service. And I believe I said, and you even quoted, "It's not perfect, the Wii U is missing Gamecube and the 3DS misses out on GBA. Likely for technical reasons. But it ain't bad". 

So I'm not sure what your point is. In terms of BC PCs get it best followed by Nintendo's model, then Microsoft and Sony at the end. That's all I'm saying here.

1 solution to the backwards compatibility problem is to keep your old console, upgrade the HDD (if the console has one-160GB fits around 50 Xbox original Games), copy the game discs to the HDD, clone the HDD to another one and when the HDD eventually dies (10+ years in my experience, swap over to the spare and keep on going)-all the while keeping the disc drive in good condition (its not getting used-so no extra wear) and enjoying the faster loading times.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

And? It has full Wii BC alongside a VC service where you can buy games from every Nintendo platform upto the N64. While Microsoft has partial BC for 360 games and Sony has partial BC for PS3 games through a paid service. And I believe I said, and you even quoted, "It's not perfect, the Wii U is missing Gamecube and the 3DS misses out on GBA. Likely for technical reasons. But it ain't bad".

Lol

I thought you forgot to mention gamecube but you did mention it. I believe Wii played GameCube games if I'm not mistaken and thought WiiU would as well unless I'm wrong about the Wii.

Lol

I thought you forgot to mention gamecube but you did mention it. I believe Wii played GameCube games if I'm not mistaken and thought WiiU would as well unless I'm wrong about the Wii.

Yeah, the launch Wii had it but some of the later models didn't and the Wii U doesn't either. I'm sure they could do it through downloadable GC title, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to. And they probably would have if the Wii U had done better than it has. But as of now it doesn't have it and I doubt it'll ever happen given the much lower user-base.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing