Microsoft Announces Xbox one Backwards Compatibility, Even Servers

Uwillparish

HOLY shit!

Now I have no need to buy a used 360.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

Wonder what games won't be playable on Xbox 1, also the system should now need about 2 TB HDD . . .

Probably all the games people like BO2 Halo, they will just want you to buy Master Chief Collection and those cod remastereds that where rumoured.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

After being out for two years?

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Will the quality of the games be better for the xbox 1 all will the games still be 720p 24fps?

Will the quality of the games be better for the xbox 1 all will the games still be 720p 24fps?

It will be the same as 360. Nothing has changed to the games optimization.

It will be the same as 360. Nothing has changed to the games optimization.

Ok.

That's great! I'm not much of a console man, but many of my friends were troubled by the consistent lack of backwards compatibility for the newer consoles.

After being out for two years?

Xbox 360 is based off PPC. Xbox One is x86. I'll remind you that PCs STILL don't have proper PPC emulation for the 360, so MS doing it right off the Xbox One is pretty awesome. 

I feel like Sony's cell is to hard to emulate

Regular PPC might have been easier to do

I feel bad for Sony

... As a ps4 owner

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

I feel like Sony's cell is to hard to emulate

Regular PPC might have been easier to do

I feel bad for Sony

... As a ps4 owner

Any PPC design is very hard to emulate on x86. And when its emulated, performance is orders of magnitude short of the x86 performance on that chip.

Cell is only that much harder, since it posesses one more ALU per core (iirc)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Finally bringing an old feature. Back when we were able to play PS1 games on PS2 or when Game Boy Advance played Game Boy Color games and such.

Still waiting for Microsoft and Sony to make it possible to attach their consoles to larger HDDs and NAS and put games on them instead of just save files.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This is another reason going with x86 in consoles is a great idea. So much software has already been tuned for the instruction set and the architectures implementing it. If there's one place legacy support belongs, it's consoles and handhelds.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Still waiting for Microsoft and Sony to make it possible to attach their consoles to larger HDDs and NAS and put games on them instead of just save files.

You can load Xbox One games to a USB 3.0 external hard drive and play games from it, just not a NAS (special drive formatting is necessary to allow the hard drive to be used for game storage).

The Playstation 4 allows you to replace the internal 2.5" drive with a larger drive with little difficulty.

I don't give a fuck about the xbone, but this is brilliant. This means, that they finally found a way to emulate the xbox360 on x86. Now it's only a matter of time until we get this on PC

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

what about game streaming to the PC, aka Halo 3-5 on PC? I  thought that was a thing with W10.

who cares...

You can load Xbox One games to a USB 3.0 external hard drive and play games from it, just not a NAS (special drive formatting is necessary to allow the hard drive to be used for game storage).

The Playstation 4 allows you to replace the internal 2.5" drive with a larger drive with little difficulty.

The latter voids the warranty though

The latter voids the warranty though

IINM you will not void the warranty for the Playstation just for replacing the hdd.

Xbox 360 is based off PPC. Xbox One is x86. I'll remind you that PCs STILL don't have proper PPC emulation for the 360, so MS doing it right off the Xbox One is pretty awesome. 

Hopefully someone will crack it and we can get a real emulator for 360 games. 

Hopefully someone will crack it and we can get a real emulator for 360 games. 

AFAIK, the Xbox One's OS hasn't been cracked open, has it? I haven't followed that side of things, but yea if they did then you'd have a PPC emulator already written in x86 ready to go, which would be pretty awesome all things considered.