How does GPU overclocking affect its lifespan

Hans Power

Hello,

I just overclocked my MSI GTX 960 4G and it does give me a really nice performance boost (it boosts to 1468Mhz GPU and 1951Mhz memory clock - although there is still some headroom for the latter).

The card is still nice and chilli with these settings - I get 64°C in the Witcher 3 and 67°C in MSI Kombustor

Nevertheless I wonder how this'll affect the lifespan of the card. I know that if you overclock a CPU to its absolute limit, you'll run into CPU degredation unless you leave some headroom for the overclocks. I heard that this is different with GPUs - Linus and other techtubers mentioned that a few times - but I never heard any reasoning why it's different to CPUs.

So some input on the topic would be nice.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Hello,

I just overclocked my MSI GTX 960 4G and it does give me a really nice performance boost (it boosts to 1468Mhz GPU and 1951Mhz memory clock - although there is still some headroom for the latter).

The card is still nice and chilli with these settings - I get 64°C in the Witcher 3 and 67°C in MSI Kombustor

Nevertheless I wonder how this'll affect the lifespan of the card. I know that if you overclock a CPU to its absolute limit, you'll run into CPU degredation unless you leave some headroom for the overclocks. I heard that this is different with GPUs - Linus and other techtubers mentioned that a few times - but I never heard any reasoning why it's different to CPUs.

So some input on the topic would be nice.

for almost any processing chip of any kind, as long as temps and voltages are within tolerance your okay. 

basically as long as your not running a stupid amount of voltage though your card, your more then fine and the lifespan should be in theory exactly the same

It won't have a significant affect on the card. Realistically you will upgrade the card before it will die. Or it will die from another cause before it dies from being overclocked. (e.g dust build up or old thermal paste)

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

for almost any processing chip of any kind, as long as temps and voltages are within tolerance your okay. 

basically as long as your not running a stupid amount of voltage though your card, your more then fine and the lifespan should be in theory exactly the same

It's not actually possible to run today's cards at stupid voltages because they have restrictions on them.

agree with these guys, if your oc is running without voltage tweaks, you will never see a lifespan decrease or it will be that minimal you will never get to the stage of it dying.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

It's not actually possible to run today's cards at stupid voltages because they have restrictions on them.

my 7970 I could throw 1.5 volts at it

depends on the card. im mad i cant throw anything at my 750ti, it's so power efficient it has a stupid amount of cooling headroom, I can't overclock it much because it wont let me change hte voltage.

but most high end cards have a second bios, which is for extreme overclocking LN2, and those, if you crank it may kill your card prematurely. 

Unless you flash a custom bios, that is.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

my 7970 I could throw 1.5 volts at it

depends on the card. im mad i cant throw anything at my 750ti, it's so power efficient it has a stupid amount of cooling headroom, I can't overclock it much because it wont let me change hte voltage.

but most high end cards have a second bios, which is for extreme overclocking LN2, and those, if you crank it may kill your card prematurely. 

That card is not what I consider new. It was released before AMD started to make their cards restrict voltage.

That card is not what I consider new. It was released before AMD started to make their cards restrict voltage.

that was just a personal example, new cards that are high end still have dual bios that let you crank voltage