390X benchmarks from the guy that unboxed it

Tiber1337

So in other words AMD's top tier card this year is only going to be slightly better then Nvidia's 4 string card. 

No. AMD's top tier card will be FURY, not 390x.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Well lets just see how fury turns out.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

I said it before and I'll say it again: it's EXTREMELY suspicious that firestrike would detect a different name from gpu-z. On top of that, nowhere does it show what exact 300 series card he's testing (if any). This has the potential of being true or false in equal manners. Wait for the card to be available to actual reviewers before we give out a verdict.

That said if it's true I'll be pretty sad :( even though from a performance standpoint it isn't that crazy to have an improved (/overclocked?) 290x close to the price of a 970.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

FutureMark reads the HW id: and it's identical; while GPU-Z reads from the video card's BIOS

FutureMark reads the HW id: and it's identical; while GPU-Z reads from the video card's BIOS

And that would suppose the card is exactly the same with NO changes whatsoever. Which is rather unlikely. It's not like firestrike reads the 280x as a 7970Ghz, even though the gpus are effectively the same.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

And that would suppose the card is exactly the same with NO changes whatsoever. Which is rather unlikely. It's not like firestrike reads the 280x as a 7970Ghz, even though the gpus are effectively the same.

yes, it actually does, the newer version corrected this, but earlyer one did showed R9 280X as HD7970 ;)

That's a microcode revision/ID and nothing more.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I said it before and I'll say it again: it's EXTREMELY suspicious that firestrike would detect a different name from gpu-z. On top of that, nowhere does it show what exact 300 series card he's testing (if any). This has the potential of being true or false in equal manners. Wait for the card to be available to actual reviewers before we give out a verdict.

That said if it's true I'll be pretty sad :( even though from a performance standpoint it isn't that crazy to have an improved (/overclocked?) 290x close to the price of a 970.

@Suika bought a 390 and it also showed up as a 290 in Firestrike.

Yes, and that's why everyone is pissed. The 390x was supposed to be an upgrade, but its not, and AMD is just jerking us around.

Amd is not, they dont have the money to spend on developing 5 new gpus, why design a new chip if there is a perfectly fine chip already there. They are probably working on the 400 series, which will shrink to 14nm and will be the "leap" the people are hoping for.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

Amd is not, they dont have the money to spend on developing 5 new gpus, why design a new chip if there is a perfectly fine chip already there. They are probably working on the 400 series, which will shrink to 14nm and will be the "leap" the people are hoping for.

I don't think you read the rest of my posts. The core of the issue is that what AMD is choosing to call the 390x should have actually been labeled the 380x. Fiji, or 'Fury X', should have been labeled the R9 390x and these poor decisions are causing confusion on an unimaginable scale. I swear AMD's marketing department must be a bunch of masochists, because they will be cleaning up this mess for years and I'll be damned if someone isn't getting fired.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Then they should have kept the 200 series running in tandem with the Fury series -- or at very least kept the 390X's pricing in line with where the 290X's pricing has landed in recent months. I'm not going to accept them hiking the price and hoping no one notices because the name has changed because I'm supposed to feel sorry for them. No, they're a business and they shouldn't be ripping off customers.

Why should AMD follow nvidia naming nomenclature?

People are still going to look at reviews and pick which card garners the best feature set for their budget. Has the appropriate zoning authorization been applied for to turn this mole hill into a mountain?

Yes, AMD "should" have changed the naming on the top tiers to 380X for the Hawaii chips and named Fury the 390X but they didn't and at this point...that issue is DEAD.

Move on.....

AMD always has next year.

Yes, AMD "should" have changed the naming on the top tiers to 380X for the Hawaii chips and named Fury the 390X but they didn't and at this point...that issue is DEAD.

Move on.....

AMD always has next year.

People have said that for the last 4 years

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

I remember reading a test of the 980 SLI vs 290X 8gb CF trading blows at 4k. If the 290X rebrand/refresh can close that gap even more or pull away while still offering lower pricing than the 980 then I don't really have a problem with all the rebrand/refresh at all. The Fury will be there to compete with the 980ti and Titan X. 

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/79/amd-radeon-r9-290x-8gb-cf-vs-titan-sli-gtx-980-4k/index.html

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/72/gtx-980-sli-vs-r9-290x-8gb-cf-295x2-amd-fx-9590-8k/index.html

Note on the 2nd article, they did use a reference 980 and super sampling.

Why should AMD follow nvidia naming nomenclature?

People are still going to look at reviews and pick which card garners the best feature set for their budget. Has the appropriate zoning authorization been applied for to turn this mole hill into a mountain?

Because NVidia proved, people are dumb enough to shell out 1000$ for a different nomenclature. The koth idendity is a very strong one, for peoples e-peen.

So no, people are not necessarily going to be looking at benchmarks. A lot will buy it, just for the koth status, the name, or in this case, the HBM. First movers always pays the iron price.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

What were they supposed to do? Pull money out of thin air?

No they were supposed to not put all their Rd into a $700-$900 card that 90% of people won't buy.

- snip-

Because NVidia proved, people are dumb enough to shell out 1000$ for a different nomenclature. The koth idendity is a very strong one, for peoples e-peen.

So no, people are not necessarily going to be looking at benchmarks. A lot will buy it, just for the koth status, the name, or in this case, the HBM. First movers always pays the iron price.

What do you mean "dumb enough to shell out"

The Titan X was out before the 980 TI was, so the Titan X was the big boy on the block.

IMHO it was actually worth the $1000, it was only like $250-300 more than 970 SLI, and performed about the same whilst having 3x the VRAM.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Have to say that if this is true and the 390x is going to be barely better than the gtx 970 but cost $100 then RIP AMD. 

Keeping that in mind though, from what I hear there are no AMD drivers yet for the 300 series so this might be greatly effecting the 390x.

May be that the drivers recognise it as an overclocked 290x and are not able to use it to the full potential.

We'll see when we get some proper drivers and such

Have to say that if this is true and the 390x is going to be barely better than the gtx 970 but cost $100 then RIP AMD. 

Keeping that in mind though, from what I hear there are no AMD drivers yet for the 300 series so this might be greatly effecting the 390x.

May be that the drivers recognise it as an overclocked 290x and are not able to use it to the full potential.

We'll see when we get some proper drivers and such

Until it's actually released, we should all stop ragging on them and actually wait the 2 days to see what's really going on.

People in this thread are just bitching and moaning instead of just waiting to see what the actual results will be :/

Nvidia has rebranded a shit-ton of cards, I don't see anyone bringing that up here.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Until it's actually released, we should all stop ragging on them and actually wait the 2 days to see what's really going on.

People in this thread are just bitching and moaning instead of just waiting to see what the actual results will be :/

Nvidia has rebranded a shit-ton of cards, I don't see anyone bringing that up here.

Not raging bud. Waiting just like you are :)

In fact The reason I don't have a completed computer right now is because I'm waiting for official testing of the 300 series.

I sincerely hope AMD pulls out something amazing with this lineup. 

Rebrand or not. If the power consumption is as good as nvidias and performance is similar, it'll be all out war again.

Not raging bud. Waiting just like you are :)

In fact The reason I don't have a completed computer right now is because I'm waiting for official testing of the 300 series.

I sincerely hope AMD pulls out something amazing with this lineup. 

Rebrand or not. If the power consumption is as good as nvidias and performance is similar, it'll be all out war again.

I didn't say raging, I said ragging, as in like continuing to put them down.  

raɡ
verb
gerund or present participle: ragging
  1. 1.
    make fun of (someone) in a loud, boisterous manner.

What do you mean "dumb enough to shell out"

The Titan X was out before the 980 TI was, so the Titan X was the big boy on the block.

IMHO it was actually worth the $1000, it was only like $250-300 more than 970 SLI, and performed about the same whilst having 3x the VRAM.

NVidia introduced the 1k$ graphics cards. The market should have given them the finger, but instead bought them in droves. Now the ultimate tier will be 800+$ in the future.

The Fury X will be out before the 490x (which will probably be a Fury X rebrand, or die shrink to 14nm FF), so that comes first too. 300$ for vram most people will never use, is pretty dumb, and wasteful. Either way, 980ti is also too expensive, but at least it makes somewhat sense. I don't think a top tier 1 GPU card, should ever cost more than 600-700$. Even that is on the high end.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

NVidia introduced the 1k$ graphics cards. The market should have given them the finger, but instead bought them in droves. Now the ultimate tier will be 800+$ in the future.

The Fury X will be out before the 490x (which will probably be a Fury X rebrand, or die shrink to 14nm FF), so that comes first too. 300$ for vram most people will never use, is pretty dumb, and wasteful. Either way, 980ti is also too expensive, but at least it makes somewhat sense. I don't think a top tier 1 GPU card, should ever cost more than 600-700$. Even that is on the high end.

The fact that people are willing to spend $1000 on them means they are able to sell them for $1000, why would they stop doing that?

They are a business and they are trying to make money, just because YOU think it's overpriced, doesn't mean others do.  There is a VERY LARGE amount of people that buy the top of the line card, regardless of how much it costs.

The 980 TI is only $650 in the USA, and shits all over the 980 for only 150$ more.  It's also cheaper than 970 SLI, and performs nearly the same whilst having more VRAM.  Totally worth the money IMHO.

The fact that people are willing to spend $1000 on them means they are able to sell them for $1000, why would they stop doing that?

They are a business and they are trying to make money, just because YOU think it's overpriced, doesn't mean others do.  There is a VERY LARGE amount of people that buy the top of the line card, regardless of how much it costs.

The 980 TI is only $650 in the USA, and shits all over the 980 for only 150$ more.  It's also cheaper than 970 SLI, and performs nearly the same whilst having more VRAM.  Totally worth the money IMHO.

This is something I dont understand. a "normal" pc can agreed to be 500-1000$. a "normal" gpu is the 200-400$. give or take a few hundred, doesnt matter. yet people think 1000$ is overpriced. when in many industries that price gap is nothing. so at most, thats what, 5-10x more expensive for the top of line? 

lets compare that to cars. f150 is the best selling vehicle in the US, and has been. base model is 25k. yet people spend 1-2 million on high end cars. which is a 80x price premium. WAY more then pc hardware. 

basically, Im surprised there isnt even more expensive hardware. 15-20 years ago, you had to pay 3k for a computer. what you can do nowadays for 500-1000 is mind blowing. so even though i wouldnt ever buy one, anyone that complains about a 650$ gpu+ needs to look at the past.