ASmedia SATA problem, drives disappear when loading speedfan.

A bit of info first :

My motherboard has 2 regular SATA3 ports, then 4 SATA2 ones. It also has 2 more SATA3 ports via an ASmedia controller.

I have a pair of 256GB 850PRO's (in RAID 0) on the 2 regular SATA3 ports of my motherboard

On the ASmedia controller's ports I have another 256GB 850PRO (for Linux, so it's invisible in Windows) and a 1TB 840 EVO (my data disk)

Ever since I last instaled Windows (2 months or so ago), whenever I launch Speedfan, the 840 EVO simply disappears from "My Computer". If that happens I can't shut down the PC anymore either, it completely freezes during the "shutting down" screen, with even the cursor not responding anymore (the circle stops rotating as well). Usually it will work just fine after a restart, but occasionally it won't and I have to do a system restore to get my EVO back.

Closing Speedfan doesn't help, the drive stays gone and the freezing problem persists.

I have tried uninstalling the ASmedia SATA driver, and after a reboot it's the exact same thing. The EVO is there and works perfectly fine until I launch Speedfan again, at which point it does its disappearing act again.

If I go into the Device Manager when it's gone and try to shut down the controller or do anything else to it, the PC completely freezes as well.

Yesterday I installed Skype and it threw up a warning message saying that there was a halted ASmedia install, asking me if the Skype installer should cancel the ASmedia install so it could continue installing itself.

The combination of that error and the fact that the drives show up just fine in the post screens makes me pretty sure it's a software problem and not a hardware one. (I did tell Skype to cancel the ASmedia installer, by the way)

Is there anything I could try to solve this? The PC thinks the driver is completely uninstalled, but I have my doubts. A search revealed no ASmedia files though and after a CCleaner run there are no temp files either. However the problem persists, right now I'm only seeing my C:\ drive.

Speedfan is too important to me, so if I can't solve this, I'll have to re-install Windows yet again.

Full PC specs in my profile, and here is Speedfan's startup check :

Win9x:NO 64Bit:YES GiveIO:NO SpeedFan:YES

I/O properly initialized

Linked ISA BUS at $0290

Linked Intel 7 Series SMBUS at $F000

Found nVidia GeForce GTX 770

Linked nVidiaI2C0 SMBUS at $3D403E3F

Linked nVidiaI2C1 SMBUS at $3D403637

Linked nVidiaI2C2 SMBUS at $3D405051

Found nVidia GeForce GTX 770

Linked nVidiaI2C0 SMBUS at $3D403E3F

Linked nVidiaI2C1 SMBUS at $3D403637

Linked nVidiaI2C2 SMBUS at $3D405051

Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...

SuperIO Chip=FINTEK F71889A

F71889F found on ISA at $290

Scanning Intel SMBus at $F000...

Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403E3F...

Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403637...

Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D405051...

Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403E3F...

Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403637...

Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D405051...

Found Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB on AdvSMART

Found Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB on AdvSMART

Found ACPI temperature

Found Intel® Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz

End of detection

Loaded 0 events