Bringing PC on plane carry on

hello13579
Go to solution Solved by hello13579,

The short answer to your question is: Yes you can take a full desktop computer and/or water cooler onto an airplane, and LAX and HKG shouldn't bother you too much about it.

I put my desktop PC into a Samsonite briefcase (you can probably find the thread I made for it buried somewhere in the Build Log section) so that I could take it overseas as a carry-on. As you might have guessed, I used an AIO cooler due to the size of the briefcase.

Security at LAX didn't bother me as I was leaving, and I had no issues entering HKG with it.

When leaving HKG for NRT, some of the personnel at the checkpoint looked uncomfortable, so I offered to open up the briefcase. They sent me on my way within 2 minutes.

It remains to be seen how entering LAX will go, but if I'm understanding your situation correctly, that shouldn't be a concern for you.

I personally believe that presentation (as in: cable management, cleanliness of case interior) is what let me through security so quickly when going from HKG to NRT, so if you have the time, I would suggest getting a nice cardboard box, and cutting some styrofoam to fit the GPU + cooler.

I'll give TSA a call just to make sure, but calling the airport security in Hong Kong, they said it was fine even when I said that there was liquid in it. All of the components will be in their respective boxes when I take it the US except for the gpu, so I don't think cable management will help me there. When I bring it back, I am also worried about the case, as I am thinking of buying one that is quite big for an mATX (Phanteks Enthoo Evolv), so I will have to figure out a way to bring it back, either in pieces again or pre built. Anyway, thanks for your help!

So, I just built a computer, albeit without a case, as I could not find it in Hong Kong where I live. However, I am going to the US during the summer, so I decided to buy it there and bring it back. The problem is my graphics card is cooled with the nzxt bracket and a h55. I refuse to put any parts in check in, in case it gets damaged or stolen. I was wondering if any of you guys have had experience with bringing AIO coolers in carry on baggage, or if it is even possible in the first place. Thanks

I've only brought up to a 19-inch laptop as a carry-on.  If you can fit it in the overhead compartment there might not be an issue.  But, otherwise they might force ya to put it with your other luggage.

I believe he is worried about the 3-1-1 rule which states a maximum of 3.4oz and all liquid must be in a 1qt bag.

I believe he is worried about the 3-1-1 rule which states a maximum of 3.4oz and all liquid must be in a 1qt bag.

just hope the aren't PC enthusiasts ;P

It is probably going to depend on 

1. Does it fit?
  2. How much does the TSA screen-er care, cause if they go by the letter of the law a undisclosed liquid is a No-No AIO or not. 

I remember our robotics team was held in the airport because they thought the robot was a bomb. 

Atom14 [Corsair] i5-4690K | Corsair H110i GT | MSI Z97S SLI Krait | 16 GB Team Group DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB X2 | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W 80+ Gold | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 980Ti

Corsair KXX RGB Keyboard Cover Mod Make your own using my templates!

I remember our robotics team was held in the airport because they thought the robot was a bomb. 

We got stopped and forced off the plane because some one put a glass grenade monument of some sort on the plane. Very long 3 hours 

Just remove the AIO or any component with liquid on it and place them on a different packaging, preferably on non-carry on luggage.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

So, I just built a computer, albeit without a case, as I could not find it in Hong Kong where I live. However, I am going to the US during the summer, so I decided to buy it there and bring it back. The problem is my graphics card is cooled with the nzxt bracket and a h55. I refuse to put any parts in check in, in case it gets damaged or stolen. I was wondering if any of you guys have had experience with bringing AIO coolers in carry on baggage, or if it is even possible in the first place. Thanks

The short answer to your question is: Yes you can take a full desktop computer and/or water cooler onto an airplane, and LAX and HKG shouldn't bother you too much about it.

I put my desktop PC into a Samsonite briefcase (you can probably find the thread I made for it buried somewhere in the Build Log section) so that I could take it overseas as a carry-on. As you might have guessed, I used an AIO cooler due to the size of the briefcase.

Security at LAX didn't bother me as I was leaving, and I had no issues entering HKG with it.

When leaving HKG for NRT, some of the personnel at the checkpoint looked uncomfortable, so I offered to open up the briefcase. They sent me on my way within 2 minutes.

It remains to be seen how entering LAX will go, but if I'm understanding your situation correctly, that shouldn't be a concern for you.

I personally believe that presentation (as in: cable management, cleanliness of case interior) is what let me through security so quickly when going from HKG to NRT, so if you have the time, I would suggest getting a nice cardboard box, and cutting some styrofoam to fit the GPU + cooler.

I can't imagine seeing someone at an airport carrying a cardboard box filled with the components of a gaming PC... 0_0

Silverstone ML08  ||  Intel i5-6600  ||  Gigabyte HD 7950 @ Stock  ||  Corsair 2x4GB DDR4 2133MHz  ||  Gigabyte H170-N WIFI  ||  Samsung 840 Pro 128GB  ||  WD Caviar Black 1TB  ||  MSX 64-bit

I'll give TSA a call just to make sure, but calling the airport security in Hong Kong, they said it was fine even when I said that there was liquid in it. All of the components will be in their respective boxes when I take it the US except for the gpu, so I don't think cable management will help me there. When I bring it back, I am also worried about the case, as I am thinking of buying one that is quite big for an mATX (Phanteks Enthoo Evolv), so I will have to figure out a way to bring it back, either in pieces again or pre built. Anyway, thanks for your help!

They will probably make you put it under... To many "hazards". You know, those explosive GFX cards and CPU guns.

I would recommend shipping it with a trust worthy 3rd party company, pay extra for it to be not thrown and you will be fine.