My R9 390 vs. GTX 970: Surprising Results?

Suika

Because it's the exact same GPU as the R9 290, with a new name and more VRAM.

OMG that's terrible...AMD is doing us SOOOOO wrong these days...i guess they are going down for good now?

they lowered TDP but stuck with the same exact performance? is so...it's over.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Glad you benchmarked it for us. The end result is basically exactly what we all thought. The 390 isn't bad.... but don't pretend it's something NEW and fresh. It looked like it ran cooler than I had expected, that's about it.

Glad you benchmarked it for us. The end result is basically exactly what we all thought. The 390 isn't bad.... but don't pretend it's something NEW and fresh. It looked like it ran cooler than I had expected, that's about it.

yeah, AMD is releasing the card they should have released 2 years ago instead of the actual bloody hot R9 290...that's it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

The 390 drivers obviously will make a difference.

Ryzen 5600 Be Quiet! PureBase500DX  CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB  Asus ROG Strix B450-F  1660 Super  Crucial DDR4 32GB 2x16 3800mhz  SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB NVMe  Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Mechanical Keyboard Red switches Logitech G502 mouse  EVGA Supernova 750w GA gold   32" Acer curved 1440p 144hz  MSI 32" Curved 1440p165hz  Aopen 32" 1440p 144hz

So 0 reason to buy a 390 over a 970?

unless the 390 is like 50$ cheaper? no..

unless the 390 is like 50$ cheaper? no..

Right now it's significantly more expensive, but right now. I ultimately ended up paying $85 less on my GTX 970 SSC.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I feel like you guys are forgetting that the drivers for this thing aren't even out yet. Sure it's a rebrand and this benchmarks not look promising at all but just remember this isn't even officially released yet. The updated drivers will (or atleast so I hope) make a difference. 

I feel like you guys are forgetting that the drivers for this thing aren't even out yet. Sure it's a rebrand and this benchmarks not look promising at all but just remember this isn't even officially released yet. The updated drivers will (or atleast so I hope) make a difference. 

I actually mentioned that in the OP.

The actual FPS differences are not significant, but what I'm wondering is; What about driver updates? The 390 isn't validated on 3DMark because of the driver, so maybe there are still optimizations to be made. It would be interesting to see at least. 

I actually mentioned that in the OP.

Helps if you refresh the page and read all the post my bad :blink:

Now the interesting thing for me was thermals and audio levels. With the EVGA GTX 970 SSC, I can hear the fans ramp up during benchmarks, but the XFX R9 390 DD has remained consistent in each test. Not dead silent, but still very quiet in comparison to the 970 ramping up. I don't have any professional equipment to test it, but I can say that, while the 390's fans run all the time, they seem quieter than the 970's on load. Oh, and thermals. Interesting stuff.

EVGA GTX 970 ACX2.0+
Max Temp in FurMark: 79C

XFX R9 390 DD
Max Temp in FurMark: 71C

Make of that what you will, but don't forget that the 970 has 0db mode, and FurMark is not a realistic gaming load. Real GPU temperatures are lower.

I can't say I'm that shocked here, the EVGA coolers aren't that great. I am impressed with XFX though, those are Tri-X 290 level temps. I'm interested to see what the Tri-X and Vapor-X are like temperature wise with this gpu. I wonder if they're better binned 290s now or if XFX just made an awesome cooler.

I'd guess drivers won't make any difference since these are probably just rebrands, but we won't know until this card is officially released I guess. 

Thanks for taking the time to buy this card and do these benchmarks, @Suika. Your SSC is at the stock 1190 MHz core clock and the R9 390 is at the stock 1 GHz? That's actually a pretty damn good showing for the 390 if so, since the SSC comes with a +140 MHz core bump. I wonder how the 390 does as 1100 MHz.

Thanks for taking the time to buy this card and do these benchmarks, @Suika. Your SSC is at the stock 1190 MHz core clock and the R9 390 is at the stock 1 GHz? That's actually a pretty damn good showing for the 390 if so, since the SSC comes with a +140 MHz core bump. I wonder how the 390 does as 1100 MHz.

Yea, everything was kept at stock. I can't be burdened to change the BIOS on my 970 so it's stuck with some pretty weak overclocks. Thanks to boost it could hit something like 1430-1490MHz, but it's not quite 1500.

Thanks for the benchmarks, makes me happy I got my 290 at nearly $260

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

I would wait to see the price for online retailers.

If the price was cheaper it would be decent but buying a 290/x would be the better choice.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

I can't say I'm that shocked here, the EVGA coolers aren't that great. I am impressed with XFX though, those are Tri-X 290 level temps. I'm interested to see what the Tri-X and Vapor-X are like temperature wise with this gpu. I wonder if they're better binned 290s now or if XFX just made an awesome cooler.

I'd guess drivers won't make any difference since these are probably just rebrands, but we won't know until this card is officially released I guess. 

The cooler itself is good, the fans are rubbish and it gimps the performance.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Yea, everything was kept at stock. I can't be burdened to change the BIOS on my 970 so it's stuck with some pretty weak overclocks. Thanks to boost it could hit something like 1430-1490MHz, but it's not quite 1500.

I have the original EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 and my best stable boost clock is 1417 MHz, though at least it stays there when I'm gaming. No way I'm changing the BIOS on mine though, I want my 3 year warranty to be honored.

Damn, dude in the video only hits 11874 graphics with his 390x and you're at 11611 on the 390? Strange. He says his 390x is louder than his 970 also.

The cooler itself is good, the fans are rubbish and it gimps the performance.

I get the worst of both worlds lol. I guess I get the rubbish fans and the crap cooler not making contact on one heat pipe on my 970 SC ACX 2.0. haha

Oh well, it still fucking kills in gaming.

I don't think the drivers are going to change anything.... it's a 290 brah. 2 year old GPU...ya know...

$400 and change for the 390 yikes. Seems insane....

A 290 doesnt beat a 970 so what made you think a 390 would? Hell a 290x trades blows with a well OC'd 970. No shocking results here.

The updated drivers will (or atleast so I hope) make a difference. 

this is a 290. drivers will make no difference.drivers can`t do much for a card from 2013 except the time when a new game is released. amd only realeased beta drivers this year so don`t count on drivers