(Debunked) AMD Fury X production limited to 30,000 units in 2015.

If the rumor mill about AMD Fury wasn't already working overtime (see Fury Pro Delay), a new rumor suggests that AMD may be limited to producing roughly 30,000 HBM Graphic Cards for 2015. The rumor suggests that a shortage in HBM memory (rumor upon rumor) is to blame. Not only would this look bad for AMD, but prices would easily skyrocket with a (perceived) limited supply.

To put this number in perspective, AMD shipped 8,000 BF4 Edition 290X's alone at the launch of Hawaii, and Hawaii cards sold out within hours of launch. It's also said that Nvidia sold 1 million GM204 chips in 2.5 Months after launch (gtx 970, 980 with lots of buyers going SLI).

Is this AMD trying to hype up their new cards and inflate the prices? Somehow I doubt this is a PR stunt. AMD have likely ironed out prices with vendors already, and vendors inflating prices does not mean more money for AMD.

If this rumor is true, it may bite AMD in their rear.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/45835/amd-radeon-fury-rumored-limited-30-000-units-2015/index.html

09062811310l.jpg

Update

courtesy of @mattebad http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/384890-debunked-amd-fury-x-production-limited-to-30000-units-in-2015/?p=5198616

http://wccftech.com/amd-fury-30k-units-2015-air-liquid-cooling/

As for the 30K unit rumor, well we were very suspicious of it from the very beginning, I’ll explain why in a bit. But we ran it by our most reliable and closest sources to AMD just to make sure, these sources have never let us down before not even once just as an FYI. And lo and behold they quickly and decisively told us that it was a load of “insert worthless object here”.  So there you have it folks.

First a little bit of history, in November of last year at the UBS technology conference. AMD’s Vice President and General Manager of the Graphics Business Unit, Matt Skynner revealed that It actually costs between $250 million to upwards of a billion dollars to design a GPU. The main determinant of cost would be the size and complexity of the GPU. As larger and more complex chips will require longer design lead times as well as more testing and validation work.

30,000 Fury X units translate to $30,000,000 in revenue for AMD in a best case scenario where each individual Fiji XT chip is sold for $1000. Which we don’t think it will, but let’s assume that for argument’s sake. That’s $30 million in revenue in 6 months, half a year. Which would mean $15 million a quarter. Even if we assume that the quantity will double next year and the price will remain the same that is still just $90 million of overall revenue by the middle of next year. At which point AMD is likely to introduce its 16nm Arctic Islands GPUs and stop selling 28nm GPUs all together.

You can quickly see the problem here, at that rate, which the rumor is suggesting, AMD would need to keep selling Fury X for $1000 for more than 9 years just to make back the development cost in revenue, which means it would need to sell it for even longer to make any profit.  And that’s simply illogical.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

inb4 $1500 AMD Fury.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

If that is true that's just stupid: they should have prepared to have the same chip working with gddr5 precisely because of this, easiest fuck up to prevent of all time.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If the rumor mill about AMD Fury wasn't already working overtime, a new rumor suggests that AMD may only be producing roughly 30,000 Fiji based cards for 2015. The rumor suggests that a shortage in HBM memory (rumor upon rumor) is to blame. Not only would this look bad for AMD, but prices would easily skyrocket with such a small supply.

Is this AMD trying to hype up their card and get a better price for it, even if it means shooting their public image in the proverbial foot? Somehow I doubt this is a PR stunt, and if true this may bite AMD in the rear.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/45835/amd-radeon-fury-rumored-limited-30-000-units-2015/index.html

Lol watch everyone stock up on these if this does happen, then randomly AMD releases a fucktonne of them and then everyones stockpile would be worth as much as a empty can.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

That many units will likely get consumed in a month.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Well fuck, bye bye to a Cooler master Elite 110 build

This is a signature.

I'm curious how many 980ti's or Titan X's are produced per year.

Just to get some additional context on the problem.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Can we like, make it illegal to post anymore news threads about the AMD cards until the 16th?

Or... You know... You could just not click on it... 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

This level of foolishness has to stop. This is getting a bit redundant and AMD only producing 30k unit is corporate suicide.  

Test ideas by experiment and observation; build on those ideas that pass the test, reject the ones that fail; follow the evidence wherever it leads and question everything.

snip

The lack of HBM sounds realistic, since we know its limitation and that a new improved version will be out. It's likely that production for HBM is slowed due to this upcoming fix. I don't think many of the Fury will be sold anyway, since the more expensive cards will always be for the few. I understand that prices can skyrocket due to limited supply, but that's just common business knowledge no? Also, why is this an AMD PR stunt? Every kind of rumour is just flying all over, so I don't see how AMD is the reason for this at all.

At least in the hundreds of thousands would be my guess. But then again, they don't have a ridiculously costly new technology integrated do they.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I was expecting a cheeky comment like this.

No shit. your comment was dumb, you deserved a cheeky reply.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

At least in the hundreds of thousands would be my guess. But then again, they don't have a ridiculously costly new technology integrated do they.

I would bet it's fewer than you might think. PC enthusiasts are a pretty small community, and the amount of people willing to pay the kind of money for a Titan or Fury class card is even smaller yet.

I would imagine 30K/year would be a limitation but I dont think it's as far from the Titan X production as many people might think. 

I did a brief search and couldn't find any solid numbers on Titan production. I could be way off on this, as it is all from gut estimations. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Seriously this is just bullshit. There has been nothing but rumors concerning these cards. AMD just release the damn things ffs. I swear if they are not amazing, the hype and rumors will come around and bite AMD in the ass real hard.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I would bet it's fewer than you might think. PC enthusiasts are a pretty small community, and the amount of people willing to pay the kind of money for a Titan or Fury class card is even smaller yet.

I would imagine 30K/year would be a limitation but I dont think it's as far from the Titan X production as many people might think. 

I did a brief search and couldn't find any solid numbers on Titan production. I could be way off on this, as it is all from gut estimations. 

Yeah, I did a quick search and got nout. It'll definitely be higher than 30,000, that I want to say, but it'll be less than 250,000 I'm fairly sure. 50,000-150,000 seems like a good rough estimate IMO. Less than I would have expected, but I did significantly overestimate in my first go I'm sure.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Seriously this is just bullshit. There has been nothing but rumors concerning these cards. AMD just release the damn things ffs. I swear if they are not amazing, the hype and rumors will come around and bite AMD in the ass real hard.

They will talk about it on the 16th... just because sites are making up content for click bait and ad revenues doesn't mean that it's AMD problem and they should rush something that was already announced.

It's not like the Titan Z where NVIDIA announced it and hold on to it for two months without saying a word just to try to improve drivers... and failed.

Yeah, I did a quick search and got nout. It'll definitely be higher than 30,000, that I want to say, but it'll be less than 250,000 I'm fairly sure. 50,000-150,000 seems like a good rough estimate IMO. Less than I would have expected, but I did significantly overestimate in my first go I'm sure.

I would guess in the 50-150K range as well. Obviously 30K is going to be a problem, I was just trying to add a bit of perspective as to the scale of the potential shortcoming. 

couldn't find anything about GM200, but I found an article about the HD5000 series, and they said AMD shipped 16million graphic cards in 9 months after HD5000 launch. 

Not sure what ratio of those were high end, but its a larger number than I would ever have thought for a graphic card launch.  http://news.techgenie.com/latest/16-million-of-graphic-cards-shipped-by-amd-in-9-months/

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I would guess in the 50-150K range as well. Obviously 30K is going to be a problem, I was just trying to add a bit of perspective as to the scale of the potential shortcoming. 

Yeah. It probably won't be as bad as people think it is, it just seems like a low number, and it is, but not as low as could be. Stock would probably last well into november or december depending on how it sells, especially when you look at the market share amd had and how likely it is that people will move from nvidia just for a fury card.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

What's LTT without a little douchebaggery here and there I suppose lol.

you called :D

They will talk about it on the 16th... just because sites are making up content for click bait and ad revenues doesn't mean that it's AMD problem and they should rush something that was already announced.

It's not like the Titan Z where NVIDIA announced it and hold on to it for two months without saying a word just to try to improve drivers... and failed.

Well I agree with part of what you said. However, AMD should not go out announcing stuff about their upcoming GPUs and hyping them up months before release... That is asking for rumors.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

Yeah. It probably won't be as bad as people think it is, it just seems like a low number, and it is, but not as low as could be. Stock would probably last well into november or december depending on how it sells, especially when you look at the market share amd had and how likely it is that people will move from nvidia just for a fury card.

Yep, I agree. There will likely be an initial shortage at launch because of the launch rush.