PC not detecting third monitor

Uehm

Hey all,

Just recently upgraded to three monitors. Running into a problem however, where my third monitor isn't being detected.

I am using a 7870, and three BenQ 27" monitors (GL2760H).

Monitor one, I am using HDMI, and plugging it into the HDMI port on my GPU.

Monitor two, I am using an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter, and plugging it into the Displayport port on my GPU.

Monitor three (arrived today), I am using DVI, and plugging it into the DVI port on my GPU.

The cable isn't faulty, I do not receive a "cable not detected" message rather a "signal not detected" message. 

I have heard that you need the third monitor to be a DP with AMD GPU's which I do, my GPU has no VGA inputers. I have also tried recycling the monitor's power while the computer is on to no avail.

Thank you.

Hey all,

Just recently upgraded to three monitors. Running into a problem however, where my third monitor isn't being detected.

I am using a 7870, and three BenQ 27" monitors (GL2760H).

Monitor one, I am using HDMI, and plugging it into the HDMI port on my GPU.

Monitor two, I am using an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter, and plugging it into the Displayport port on my GPU.

Monitor three (arrived today), I am using DVI, and plugging it into the DVI port on my GPU.

The cable isn't faulty, I do not receive a "cable not detected" message rather a "signal not detected" message. 

I have heard that you need the third monitor to be a DP with AMD GPU's which I do, my GPU has no VGA inputers. I have also tried recycling the monitor's power while the computer is on to no avail.

Thank you.

When you Right click desktop>Screen resolution does it even show that it detects the third display?

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

When you Right click desktop>Screen resolution does it even show that it detects the third display?

Yes.

However, it's automatically on 'Disconnect this display.'

When I click 'extend this display', it says "the display settings could not be saved. Please try a different combination of display settings."

W0Lmc4E.png

mj1XlkX.png

If you've already cycled the monitor I don't know. Is this relating to the output or the monitor? If you swap the HDMI from one monitor with the DVI/displayport of the monitor that isn't responding does it change anything or does it persist?

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

If you've already cycled the monitor I don't know. Is this relating to the output or the monitor? If you swap the HDMI from one monitor with the DVI/displayport of the monitor that isn't responding does it change anything or does it persist?

Must be relating to the output, I'm getting a "signal not detected" now. Let me try switching them.

Hello,

Can you clear up for me which monitor is not working? From what i read it is monitor 3 which is connected by DVI. If that is the case I would still switch out that cable for a known good one just to tick that box. Next if it was not the DVI cabled monitor and the inop monitor is the one using the HDMI to DP adapter, you may have a passive adapter when you need an active displayport adapter for eyefinity. Good luck I hope this helps.

Hello,

Can you clear up for me which monitor is not working? From what i read it is monitor 3 which is connected by DVI. If that is the case I would still switch out that cable for a known good one just to tick that box. Next if it was not the DVI cabled monitor and the inop monitor is the one using the HDMI to DP adapter, you may have a passive adapter when you need an active displayport adapter for eyefinity. Good luck I hope this helps.

Hi,

It is the third one, which is using DVI, yes. The cable seems to be working fine, when a cable is dead I got a "cable not detected" message. So it shouldn't be that. The HDMI to DP monitor is working fine, so I don't think I need an active adapter. 

On AMD 7000 sereis you can only have two monitors, unless they are displayport.

So, you can only have 2. Thats all there is too it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

On AMD 7000 sereis you can only have two monitors, unless they are displayport.

So, you can only have 2. Thats all there is too it.

I would like to murder AMD. God damnit.

So I guess I gotta buy another displayport cable. Wew....

I would like to murder AMD. God damnit.

So I guess I gotta buy another displayport cable. Wew....

Actualy I think what you need is an active displayport to HDMI or DVI adapter.

Needs to be active (have seperate power source)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Actualy I think what you need is an active displayport to HDMI or DVI adapter.

Needs to be active (have seperate power source)

So would this work?

http://www.amazon.com/gofanco%C2%AE-DisplayPort-Converter-UltraHD-Display/dp/B00OSCPCHW/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1434070898&sr=1-5&keywords=mini+displayport+active+to+hdmi

I would run an HDMI cable from my third monitor and then plug it into the MDP on my GPU.

I honestly don't know, I have been trying to figure this out.

I have 3 monitors I can't use

EDIT: omg!!!!!!!

10,000 posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly don't know, I have been trying to figure this out.

I have 3 monitors I can't use

Darn.

By the way, happy 10,000 posts!

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, I have gone through this problem. I am currently running three Monitors off my R9 270X. The problem is the adapters. In order to run more than 2 displays, you need at least 2 outputs of any kind, and at least one display-port output left. So:

HDMI -> Monitor

DVI -> HDMI -> Monitor

DP -> DP Monitor

If you do not have a DP monitor, you will need an ACTIVE display port adapter. When I first setup my monitors, i only had passive adapters, and it didn't work. Get an ACTIVE display port to HDMI adapter.

Hope it made sense!!

Computers r fun

• 10 months later...
On 12/8/2015 at 9:51 AM, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Hey guys, I have gone through this problem. I am currently running three Monitors off my R9 270X. The problem is the adapters. In order to run more than 2 displays, you need at least 2 outputs of any kind, and at least one display-port output left. So:

HDMI -> Monitor

DVI -> HDMI -> Monitor

DP -> DP Monitor

If you do not have a DP monitor, you will need an ACTIVE display port adapter. When I first setup my monitors, i only had passive adapters, and it didn't work. Get an ACTIVE display port to HDMI adapter.

Hope it made sense!!

This is the most helpful answer that i got. i had the same problem but i solved it with this combinations. thank you so much. 

PS: i just created an account just to comment here. haha

Well I guess older topics do serve a purpose of answering questions for those who bother looking them up instead of making a new topic right away. Who knew.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro