Black-N-Red Rig

coolyr
I made an account a few weeks ago and began posting here and a few other forums to get advice on a gaming rig. I knew nothing about computer components, and I learned so much in short time with kind folks help.

I want to sincerely thank this community right here for helping me put all this together. When I finally got all my parts, I was so excited that I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted so I apologize for that: https://imgur.com/a/u3ITX.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Micro Center) 

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($153.98 @ Newegg) 

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card  ($329.99 @ Amazon) 

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  ($12.99 @ Newegg) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)  ($88.75 @ OutletPC) 

Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  ($249.99 @ Micro Center) 

Total: $1595.63

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-10 15:01 EDT-0400

If I could ask a few final questions:

1. What is that strip/cord for in the imgur album? I assume some sort of SATA adapter?

2. I'm guessing that plate in the imgur album is just for decoration. Any good ideas what I could use it on?

3. How does my airflow look? Does that CPU fan placement look alright?

4. How is my cable management? Notice my SATA power cords were split three ways - is it fine I used one cord for both my SDD and fan utility on the back of my mobo?

5. Final thoughts?

Thanks again to this wonderful community, I'm loving my first rig! You guys are awesome.

@coolyr you should follow your own topics.  ;)

1. SLI, in case you have two GPUs. It goes on tabs covered by red-plastic things on your 970.

2. Your case, if you want. That's what it's meant for.

3. Yeah it's good. I would buy 2-3 120/140 fans (nocuta) for the front if you can afford it, they are superior to the 200mm (or 180mm) in there now.

4. Great in the back, good in the front. The SATA thing is fine. 

5. Awesome build overall. If your temps are not satisfactory, try swapping the cooler-master fan out for this.

Question for you:

How's the WD blue drive? I recently purchased one for my build and I was wondering.

@coolyr you should follow your own topics.  ;)

1. SLI, in case you have two GPUs. It goes on tabs covered by red-plastic things on your 970.

2. Your case, if you want. That's what it's meant for.

3. Yeah it's good. I would buy 2-3 120/140 fans (nocuta) for the front if you can afford it, they are superior to the 200mm (or 180mm) in there now.

4. Great in the back, good in the front. The SATA thing is fine. 

5. Awesome build overall. If your temps are not satisfactory, try swapping the cooler-master fan out for this.

Question for you:

How's the WD blue drive? I recently purchased one for my build and I was wondering.

Thanks man! Appreciate the advice - I wish I could just auto-follow my threads automatically instead of any I comment on, I always forget to click follow!  :wacko:

I actually installed the blue drive the other night because I lacked a final SATA connector for my mobo. No real complaints at all! It's surprisingly fast for an HDD, but I would always still suggest an SSD for fast loading times. I really love the HDD so far.

Thanks man! Appreciate the advice - I wish I could just follow my threads automatically, I always forget to click follow!  :wacko:

I actually installed the blue drive the other night because I lacked a final SATA connector for my mobo. No real complaints at all! It's surprisingly fast for an HDD, but I would always still suggest an SSD for fast loading times. I really love the HDD so far.

Cool, thanks! I always forget too, maybe you should suggest it so them here. I have a fast SSD as a boot drive, so that's taken care of.

Cool, thanks! I always forget too, maybe you should suggest it so them here. I have a fast SSD as a boot drive, so that's taken care of.

In that case I highly recommend it so far. I just put about 300 gb of videos and pictures onto it and read/write times seem to be great, especially for the price.