AMD Radeon Fury X 3DMark performance

BonSie

Misinformation? Thats rich coming from you. The kid who hides behind "I'm in the industry and I have insider knowledge but I can't share it with you so you should take my word". You're part of a whole group on this forum with a very specific agenda and get very, very upset when others don't agree. 

You get awfully upset when people question you or don't agree with what you say. Chill. 

Just stop. You are one of the biggest fanboys in here. In Danish we have a saying: "Thief thinks everyone steals". Just because you see fanboyism everywhere, doesn't mean there is; instead is more like projection really.

Fury/Fiji has a revolutionary type of vram, a new type of package/die, which results in new form factors possible for the highest end cards. Everyone, who loves tech, should be excited about this. You would be, if it was NVidia branded.

Exactly my point. The 290X keeps in lock-step and now even beats the 780TI at plenty of things now that Nvidia's stopped optimizing drivers for Kepler as much. The 290X has fewer SPs and less bandwidth.

I think the problem there lies in 780ti's measly 3GB of vram, which we know is a limitation in new games, even in 1080p. But it also looks like NVidia has just abandoned their 700 series.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

interesting, especially considering 3dmark firestrike isn't a favorable test for AMD cards (to date). We need to see some Valley results to get a feel for HBM's potential.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

The only thing we know till now is that the GTX980Ti and Titan X are good cards.

What we dont know yet, is what AMD is going to set against it.

plain simple :)

Would you shut up already? Using a smiling face at the end of this kind of post just makes you seem like a know-it-all asshat. It's also annoying how defensive you get with this stuff.

I'm neither impressed, nor disappointed with these results. Don't know how legit they are, so I'm gonna withhold judgement until game day. 

The lack of VRAM made this card DOA for me to begin with... Now I'm just deciding between the 980ti or Titan X for my next build... If CaseLabs ever builds and ships my case to me...

You know there most likely will be 8GB versions. ;)

why are you saying that when 4gb of hbm on the fury x is matching the titan x with 12gb of gddr5?

8gb hbm for next gen is going to absolutely blow nvidia's equivalent out of the water at that rate, especially if the vram is a limitation (which it might be, atm)

yes, that's right
AMD needed HBM to reach the Titan X in performance; Titan X that uses good ol' GDDR5

not even taking into account that Titan X has 3 times (!!!) more VRAM available to it

LOL. Comments like these just make me facepalm. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just stop. You are one of the biggest fanboys in here. In Danish we have a saying: "Thief thinks everyone steals". Just because you see fanboyism everywhere, doesn't mean there is; instead is more like projection really.

Fury/Fiji has a revolutionary type of vram, a new type of package/die, which results in new form factors possible for the highest end cards. Everyone, who loves tech, should be excited about this. You would be, if it was NVidia branded.

I think the problem there lies in 780ti's measly 3GB of vram, which we know is a limitation in new games, even in 1080p. But it also looks like NVidia has just abandoned their 700 series.

Games should not be using more than 2GB for 1080p, flat out. It's just bad programming and design. Loading every texture in the game into the frame buffer and not using even 20% of them at any time is just using up memory for no good reason.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Would you shut up already? Using a smiling face at the end of this kind of post just makes you seem like a know-it-all asshat. It's also annoying how defensive you get with this stuff.

No sorry, im not going to shut up for anyone.

/end of that discussion. :)

I'm neither impressed, nor disappointed with these results. Don't know how legit they are, so I'm gonna withhold judgement until game day.

You know there most likely will be 8GB versions. ;)

4GB is the limit for HBM1. Sorry. We saw the die, and there's no room for more stacks.

lower power, less heat, smaller form factors and the ability to not have uncooled vram chips on the back of the card (Titan X looking at you)

yeah .... GTX 980Ti looking right back at you  -_-

No sorry, im not going to shut up for anyone.

/end of that discussion. :)

We also know that it's limited to 4GB. We saw the die, and there's no room for more stacks. AMD said that the only way to add more memory is to add more stacks. Thus, 4GB is confirmed. If you say otherwise... Well, I hope you never serve in a jury.

Because more RAM != more bandwidth, or the claim AMD had to reach for HBM to match Nvidia's performance? Both are idiotic.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

4GB is the limit for HBM1. Sorry. We saw the die, and there's no room for more stacks.

There's the dual-interposer method, and Hynix could potentially make a respin to double the density of the 2.5D dies.

Looks like the 390x will just be a 290x on steroids.. They better give it a low price.

Yes and No..the 8gb gddr5 version is basically what you say....but the 4gb hbm version....*cough*

Compaq EXS MiniTower | Intel Celeron 800Mhz CPU | nVidia TNT 2 | 128 MB Ram | 4GB HDD

Costum Build | Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz | nVidia Quadro 980 xgl | VIA Motherboard l 128 MB | 1 GB Ram | 80 GB HDD  

Dell OptiPlex| Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz HT| Intergrated Graphics| 1.5 GB Ram| 320 GB HDD

Costum Build 2012| Intel i5-3330| Asus GT 630| ASUS P8-B75-M LX PLUS| 500 BG HDD

Fijutsu Siemens Amilo Pi 1505

Toshiba A205-S4577

DELL Ispiron 15r N5110

HP Pavilion G6 2012

HP ProBook 450 G1 | Intel Core i5-4200M | AMD Radeon 8750M | 4GB 1600MHz Ram | 750 GB HDD

I want to see it in action all ready! The unofficial results are solid for what it is and I can see why AMD is charging so much for it, plus with HBM is cutting edge so there that as well.

exactly. people forget that new types of Ram always start off a bit faster than the previous type (i.e. DDR3 vs DDR4), but take a few generations to really shine. If the price is high, its a premium we always pay to get in on new (bleeding/cutting edge) tech.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

Well, if that's the case I'm curious to see how it handles 4k gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if it's demonstrated to not be a limitation. Because it has such high bandwidth, that, along with data compression optimizations, could [somewhat] negate the need for more Vram capacity.

AMD must know it can handle high resolution gaming just fine with only 4GB, or they would have made 8GB available (at least as an option) with HBM1.

Time will tell... 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Just a reminder that because of GPU Boost 2.0 those Nvidia "stock clocks" are probably not stock.

Waiting for real world benchmarks. Still impressive though.

I noticed this as well. They are testing the 980Ti at 1000 clock when it boosts to 1250+ by default... Yet they have that down as the 980Ti overclocked? 

Not to mention you can get ref 980Ti's to boost up to 1450 with little effort. 

So yeah synthetics are nice and all but I want to see real world.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

You do see the inside 1000 point difference on a benchmark running at 1440p and 4K between a card with 12GB and a card with 4GB, right?

no, I don't! because this is synthetic benchmark that doesn't even touch the VRAM needs of 1440p and UHD resolutions - then we can talk

There's the dual-interposer method, and Hynix could potentially make a respin to double the density of the 2.5D dies.

There's no evidence whatsoever that dual interposers can be used, and what Hynx can do in the future only matters in the future.

color me disappointed: all that bragging from AMD, and in the end HBM didn't do that much for it

That 390x is not the Hbm version the hbm version has 4gb... So wait

Compaq EXS MiniTower | Intel Celeron 800Mhz CPU | nVidia TNT 2 | 128 MB Ram | 4GB HDD

Costum Build | Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz | nVidia Quadro 980 xgl | VIA Motherboard l 128 MB | 1 GB Ram | 80 GB HDD  

Dell OptiPlex| Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz HT| Intergrated Graphics| 1.5 GB Ram| 320 GB HDD

Costum Build 2012| Intel i5-3330| Asus GT 630| ASUS P8-B75-M LX PLUS| 500 BG HDD

Fijutsu Siemens Amilo Pi 1505

Toshiba A205-S4577

DELL Ispiron 15r N5110

HP Pavilion G6 2012

HP ProBook 450 G1 | Intel Core i5-4200M | AMD Radeon 8750M | 4GB 1600MHz Ram | 750 GB HDD

There's no evidence whatsoever that dual interposers can be used, and what Hynx can do in the future only matters in the future.

Actually AMD already demonstrated it, but it cuts the bandwidth in half.

There's no actual difference between the GK 110 in a 780TI and the one in a Tesla K40

double precision?!!?!?

That 390x is not the Hbm version the hbm version has 4gb... So wait

We have the Fury X performance numbers, the card with HBM, sitting in those slides. Did you miss that?

Well, if that's the case I'm curious to see how it handles 4k gaming. I wouldn't be surprised if it's demonstrated to not be a limitation. Because it has such high bandwidth, that, along with data compression optimizations, could [somewhat] negate the need for more Vram capacity.

AMD most know it can handle high resolution gaming just fine with only 4GB, or they would have made 8GB available (at least as an option) with HBM1.

Time will tell...

It wasn't AMD's choice. It was a limit of the technology and of physics.

double precision?!!?!?

That's only a microcode change to disable it in the 780TI. It's not an architectural difference or die difference.

Actually AMD already demonstrated it, but it cuts the bandwidth in half.

Well, that explains why they won't do it.

AMD most know it can handle high resolution gaming just fine with only 4GB, or they would have made 8GB available (at least as an option) with HBM1.

Time will tell... 

Has anyone ever been bottlenecked by a 290X's vram bandwidth? Is that a thing that has literally ever happened? Because if not, then is halving the amount of vram of the 390X, but having it a little bit faster going to actually make any difference except remove 4K surround as an option on their top-tier product (something a few Titan Xs might actually be pretty sweet for if you can justify the price)