Dog ripped off wire copper on hard-drive, possible to still get some files off it?

d4jsp
Go to solution Solved by MG2R,

And this is where the discussion ends.

@d4jsp, all fine and dandy that you have a different view about computer repairs. Discuss those views all you want, we have no issue with that. What we don't allow over here is hostility and name calling.

Locked.

PS:

• “When You Resort To Name Calling, You’ve Lost The Argument” -- Anthony Watts
  • “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” -- Socrates

Here is the photo of the best explanation I can give (The wire copper part is ripped off)

C3m0HWH.jpg

I stored some gameserver files for my web-based rpg game and it's literally only 1 folder that needs to be saved. It's over 100KB's in size (a lot of game code is in there) and I don't want to re-write code. My fault for not making a backup for it, I know.  Just wondering if it's still possible to get this file off it. Yes, the harddrive still worked fine before this accident. It's just this copper wire got ripped off. How much money am I looking to spend if I go to the local shop? What's a good fair price without them trying to rip  me off?  

completely ripped off? if so it needs to be plugged back in and soldered. If the soldering i still there, then you can plug it back in and it should work again.

When in doubt: C4

Is that the picture of the ripped wire?  It doesn't looked ripped to me.

That's called a ribbon cable.

I'm pretty sure that is what powers the motor that spins the disks within the hdd, so without that it won't function.

Unless you could carefully solder new wire on to replace it, or have someone do that for you, its dead.

Also, 100KB is pretty damn small, 1/10th of 1MB.. (Byte, Kilobyte, Megabyte, Gigabyte, Terabyte. <-- that is the order they go in, Byte being the smallest.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Here is the photo of the best explanation I can give (The wire copper part is ripped off)

I stored some gameserver files for my web-based rpg game and it's literally only 1 folder that needs to be saved. It's over 100KB's in size (a lot of game code is in there) and I don't want to re-write code. My fault for not making a backup for it, I know.  Just wondering if it's still possible to get this file off it. Yes, the harddrive still worked fine before this accident. It's just this copper wire got ripped off. How much money am I looking to spend if I go to the local shop? What's a good fair price without them trying to rip  me off?  

As TheKDub said if your handy with a soldering iron then you can give it a go, but if it's incredibly important data you can send it out to professionals to take the data off the drive for you but that will come at a cost.

It looks like the ribbon cable just has 4 contact points.  As long as those are making contact to where they were originally soldered it will work fine.  Just for lolz try wrapping a rubber band around the hard drive so you have some kind of downward pressure on those contact points.  If you are making good enough contact it should work again.

Is that the picture of the ripped wire?  It doesn't looked ripped to me.

Nope, I just googled one to give an explanation. My current one is literally not even there it's completely ripped of, no ribbon whatsoever.

And yeah 100KB is nothing, but it's a nodejs gameserver file with a lot of my precious code :( Definitely hundreds of hours worth of time.  

completely ripped off? if so it needs to be plugged back in and soldered. If the soldering i still there, then you can plug it back in and it should work again.

Let me take a picture of it and post back here (my real drive). 

Edit: Also, thanks for the information on the ribbon cable, never knew that :P

Is the ribbon cable ripped or just pulled out? As you can snap it back into the clamp if it just got pulled out.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Is the ribbon cable ripped or just pulled out? As you can snap it back into the clamp if it just got pulled out.

Ribbon part is like completely pulled out and was all torn so I threw it away earlier :(

Here is a image if it helps:

gNIr0g7.jpg

Ribbon part is like completely pulled out and was all torn so I threw it away earlier :(

-PIC-

Yeah your going to need some very fine soldering skills to get the contacts on that ribbon connector wired up and to the motor. 

Also it looks like the solder contacts on the motor are gone unfortunately from when the cable got ripped off.

Yeah your going to need some very fine soldering skills to get the contacts on that ribbon connector wired up and to the motor. 

Also it looks like the solder contacts on the motor are gone unfortunately from when the cable got ripped off.

Are those the 4 circular openings at the top?

Edit: Anyone here live in the WA State area? Willing to drive 30-50 Miles and pay you ~

-snip-

It's pretty much dead, unless you're pretty good with a soldering (not a hard job if your experienced).

It's pretty much dead, unless you're pretty good with a soldering (not a hard job if your experienced).

So basically have to take it to the shop? How much are you thinking is a reasonable price for the fix? Want to get your guys opinions because I don't want to get wrekt at the shop. I can visit a plethora of them around town.

So basically have to take it to the shop? How much are you thinking is a reasonable price for the fix?

It is going to be harder for them to fix since you no longer have the original cable, even if it wasn't usable it makes things much much easier when you can match them up by their physical characteristics and dimensions.

Are those the 4 circular openings at the top?

Yea the 4 holes, there should be small copper wires that connect to the windings inside of the motor which you can somewhat see, that drive is basically done unless you take it to a professional to try and get the data off.

The wires running down through that white piece:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6082535/il_fullxfull.246202089.jpg

So basically have to take it to the shop? How much are you thinking is a reasonable price for the fix?

They just need four lengths of 30 AWG wire and solder it. It's a easy fix. I personally would do it for free because it's an easy job for me. Probably less than $15.

C3m0HWH.jpg

my question is: how to f*ck has your dog done this??

Yea the 4 holes, there should be small copper wires that connect to the windings inside of the motor which you can somewhat see, that drive is basically done unless you take it to a professional to try and get the data off.

The wires running down through that white piece:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/6082535/il_fullxfull.246202089.jpg

Hey, I just checked those circles and there is copper wires coiled in there and on 3 of them there is a silver wire sticking up (VERY TINY) cannot see it unless I use Macro mode on a camera which my phone doesn't have.

With that said, basically I need to get those 4 wires connected to a copper cable, and then connect that part to the white thing below it, right?

They just need four lengths of 30 AWG wire and solder it. It's a easy fix. I personally would do it for free because it's an easy job for me. Probably less than $15.

Ohhh, okay. Definitely just going to bring it in tomorrow and see. I'll just ask them how much do you think it will be and if it's around 15-30 I'll do it. No more than. If more, I'll go to a different shop and get different estimates.  I'm trusting you.

This way, I don't have to f with it and ruin it more lol.

Hopefully this works out I'll keep u guys updated, thanks so much!

Hey, I just checked those circles and there is copper wires coiled in there and on 3 of them there is a silver wire sticking up (VERY TINY) cannot see it unless I use Macro mode on a camera which my phone doesn't have.

With that said, basically I need to get those 4 wires connected to a copper cable, and then connect that part to the white thing below it, right?

Basically it just needs to be able to get a good electrical connection to the end of that copper winding and not short out with the aluminum case. If that can be done then you might have a chance at restoring the data.

Basically it just needs to be able to get a good electrical connection to the end of that copper winding and not short out with the aluminum case. If that can be done then you might have a chance at restoring the data.

Hell, since you're here... Does it actually need all 4 wires connected to get a good electrical connection to atleast spin it? I was thinking hell, If I can get just enough power, load that bitch up and xfer the files ASAP and be done with it.  Why I'm asking is because I could get my friend to hold 2 wires in or whatnot while I Xfer the files off...  But I think I'm wishful thinking too much and soldering is the only option. Just curious :)

Edit: I'm going to be googling ribbon cable repair on youtube just until I wait to bring it in tomorrow just out of curiosity

Hell, since you're here... Does it actually need all 4 wires connected to get a good electrical connection to atleast spin it? I was thinking hell, If I can get just enough power, load that bitch up and xfer the files ASAP and be done with it.  Why I'm asking is because I could get my friend to hold 2 wires in or whatnot while I Xfer the files off...  But I think I'm wishful thinking too much. 

Yes it's a multi-pole motor so it needs all those connections to control how it rotates the platters around, and I wouldn't try holding it if it shorts out it might kill something inside the motor or die.

Yes it's a multi-pole motor so it needs all those connections to control how it rotates the platters around, and I wouldn't try holding it if it shorts out it might kill something inside the motor or die.

Ha, okay.  Yeah I'm not gonna touch it then not risking it lol.  Appreciate the help!! Have a wonderful night and I'll keep you updated tomorrow.

LMFAO.

https://plus.google.com/104256810691673744327/about?hl=en

I called this place and asked them if they do hard drive repair, the lady said yes. I then said 'Well, my ribbon cable got ripped off, etc was wondering if it's possible to do a repair, etc'.

Then she says

'Oh, hmm I don't know what a ribbon cable is' I said, well it's that gold copper wire thing that powers the unit. Then she says 'The gold wire copper thing?', LMAO I then said 'hmm'. Then she said 'Hmm well if you bring it i'll have to take a look..' I said okay.

Lol yeah right, never calling them again :P.

Just read a review from their page: "Rip Off stay away...she does not know what she is doing and took 3 trys bringing my computer home after she over charged me to tell me that the hard drive was toast! WOW thanks lady!"

Ha, i'm going to give these guys a call later, only reputable one I know in my area : https://plus.google.com/101865322714045949979/about?hl=en

Alrighty, just an update. All computer repair shops said they do not 'physical repair' and I called up even 8 of them. Some of them didn't even know what a 'ribbon  cable' was... If anyone lives in WA State, or maybe somewhere close or even if you can help me fix this issue I'll send 20 dollars to you on paypal and pay for shipping once you send it back just tell me how much the shipping costed. Or.. you can just upload the 'apps' folder with gamefunctions.js and give me the link and promise to delete the rest of the files off the hard drive (web-based source code is on there). 

I looked up 'solder repair' shops too, and found absolutely nothing.  If anyone has any other ideas, please message me.

This is the drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145082and I was wondering if I could just buy this and transfer the PCB over to my old one but I think someone told me that it still wouldn't work.  I'm at the end of my ropes and really don't know what to do. Sad because all I need is that one stupid .js file!  :o  :o

Oh Edit: I found what it's supposed to look like Beautiful picture!

es-j880-iso-back.jpg

That beautiful gold plated ribbon cable never meant so much..