acer x34 - no compromise after all?

Guest Strangerbob
Go to solution Solved by Metro,

nope. 28th here aswell :/

It is the 9 October for me in the UK

I'm still interested without gsync but not as interested if you know what I mean.

The should just use the design for the PA series monitors, you can't go wrong with it.

I wish! Simple, non glossy black, fully adjustable :wub:  :D  

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

I'm starting to consider waiting to see what Samsung may deliver with the 100Hz 3440x1440 S-VA Panel they have in development, if they bring out a monitor with that Panel with G sync too before Q2 of next year at the latest I would be willing to potentially wait! 

This is first I've heard about this Samsung panel... is there any further news about this anywhere?

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

This is first I've heard about this Samsung panel... is there any further news about this anywhere?

There is very little news, everything that is know is that it is essentially the LTM340YP01 Panel used in the Samsung S34E790C in the sense that it's S-VA and 3440x1440, although it is a 2000R Curve rating instead of the 3000R, and it is going to be 100Hz. No other specs have been confirmed yet unfortunately, although because it's S-VA you can pretty much be sure it will have at least 3000:1 static contrast ratio, 8-bit colour support with FRC, 178/178 viewing angles, and full sRGB/72% NTSC.

Anyone know how curved the monitor is? it's r-rating. 2000?

I think it may be 2000R (It's the same as the Dell U3415W) with the Asus 'alternative' being 3800R, so that's one of the key differences if Asus do manage to get theirs to 100Hz

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Anyone know how curved the monitor is? it's r-rating. 2000?

I would assume you are referring to the X34 Predator,...

Don't know the exact r-rating, but less than 2000 definitely not above,....

The Acer  XR341 CK was not as curved as a Ben Q XR3501 (2000 r-rating) in a side by side comparison,....The X34 will have the same frame, and stand.

This is straight off the Nvidia site:

]> G-SYNC and regular monitors can be mixed in     Surround; effects of G-SYNC will only be seen on     G-SYNC- enabled monitors

The ASUS ROG one was doing 60hz and they were shooting for 75hz. Now that ACER thinks they can make one with 100hz ASUS needs to step up their game.

Kicking the "specs" out the door for a minute I think the ASUS will be a better monitor when it comes to build, design, and layout of menus. It will come down to price and review for me. But one of these two will be my new monitor.

Well it seems the ACER X34 Freesync version got a good review in build quality, I think there will not be much difference in the quality, also it seem that monitor is not even coming out this year

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

There is very little news, everything that is know is that it is essentially the LTM340YP01 Panel used in the Samsung S34E790C in the sense that it's S-VA and 3440x1440, although it is a 2000R Curve rating instead of the 3000R, and it is going to be 100Hz. No other specs have been confirmed yet unfortunately, although because it's S-VA you can pretty much be sure it will have at least 3000:1 static contrast ratio, 8-bit colour support with FRC, 178/178 viewing angles, and full sRGB/72% NTSC.

I think it may be 2000R (It's the same as the Dell U3415W) with the Asus 'alternative' being 3800R, so that's one of the key differences if Asus do manage to get theirs to 100Hz

I was thinking the ACER X34 Gsync monitor was 3800R as well

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

The X34 is 3800R, this was confirmed back at Computex.

Really?  :o Could you copy me a link please just to confirm? Because I wasn't ever able to find any info on the exact curvature of the x34 or the U3415W, but would be nice to have it confirmed  :)

Really?  :o Could you copy me a link please just to confirm? Because I wasn't ever able to find any info on the exact curvature of the x34 or the U3415W, but would be nice to have it confirmed  :)

Look at a 2000R curve like the BenQ XR3501... it's clearly WAYYY more curved than the X34... which, by the way, uses the same panel (only overclocked) that's been used in all the curved IPS screens to date.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

XR3501 is 1080p 21:9 monitor. It does not have same panel a 1440p 21:9 monitors.

Can't you SEE lol? Look at a 2000R curve like the BenQ XR3501... it's clearly WAYYY more curved than the X34... which, by the way, uses the same panel (only overclocked) that's been used in all the curved IPS screens to date, so it's definitely 3800R.

What I can see is 5 factually wrong things about your post, which is pretty impressive seeing as it's so short.  :lol:

You do know the BenQ you mentioned is a 2560x1080 display right not 3440x1440? Not to mention it's a VA Panel not IPS, not to mention the physical size of it is different.

That BenQ uses the Panel: M350DVR01.0 the same as the Acer z35 NOT the Acer x34. 

And just as a little fyi, not all curved IPS Screens to date use the same Panel.... Not even all curved 3440x1440 displays use the same Panel.... 

What I can see is 5 factually wrong things about your post, which is pretty impressive seeing as it's so short.  :lol:

You do know the BenQ you mentioned is a 2560x1080 display right not 3440x1440? Not to mention it's a VA Panel not IPS, not to mention the physical size of it is different.

That BenQ uses the Panel: M350DVR01.0 the same as the Acer z35 NOT the Acer x34. 

And just as a little fyi, not all curved IPS Screens to date use the same Panel.... Not even all curved 3440x1440 displays use the same Panel.... 

The resolution is TOTALLY irrelevant, as is it being VA. If the physical size of two objects is the same (which it roughly is with the XR3501 and the X34, OK not the same but close enough to make what I say true), and you're talking about the 'R' measurement, which if it's 3000 means if the curve were to make a complete circle, that circle would have a radius of 3000mm or 3m... then CLEARLY the moment you look at XR3501 having a 2000R measurement, and then look at the X34, it's BLATANTLY obvious the X34 does not also have a 2000R measurement.

And I believe ALL the curved 34" IPS monitors to date have indeed used essentially the same AU Optronics panel... I'm talking about the Dell, LG and now Acer. What other one have they used?

The resolution is TOTALLY irrelevant, as is it being VA. If the physical size of two objects is the same (which it roughly is with the XR3501 and the X34), and you're talking about the 'R' measurement, which if it's 3000 means if the curve were to make a complete circle, that circle would have a radius of 3,000 mm or 3 m... then CLEARLY the moment you look at XR3501 having a 2000R measurement, and then look at the X34, it's BLATANTLY obvious the X34 does not also have a 2000R measurement.

And I believe ALL the curved 34" IPS monitors to date have indeed used essentially the same AU Optronics panel... I'm talking about the Dell, LG and now Acer. What other one have they used?

How can you possibly say the resolution and Panel type (I.e TN/IPS/VA) are totally irrelevant when I tell you them to show you they aren't the same panel? They are the most distinctive feature of most Panels. 

And then you got your maths wrong in this post and the original, you said 

"Look at a 2000R curve like the BenQ XR3501... it's clearly WAYYY more curved than the X34"

Then you said "so it's definitely 3800R"

But that alone makes no sense, for the radius rating, it's the lower it is (for the same size panel) the more tight the curve, i.e the more curvature you will see. NOT the other way around like you suggested. 

And AUO have made NO Curved 34" IPS Panels, they are all currently made by LG.Display, AUO have however made the 35" 2650x1080 VA Panel which is in the BenQ and the Acer z35 like I said before. 

And LG.Display have made more than one curved 34" IPS Panel. And Samsung have also made a S-VA 34" Panel. 

How can you possibly say the resolution and Panel type (I.e TN/IPS/VA) are totally irrelevant when I tell you them to show you they aren't the same panel? They are the most distinctive feature of most Panels.

And then you got your maths wrong in this post and the original, you said

"Look at a 2000R curve like the BenQ XR3501... it's clearly WAYYY more curved than the X34"

Then you said "so it's definitely 3800R"

But that alone makes no sense, for the radius rating, it's the lower it is (for the same size panel) the more tight the curve, i.e the more curvature you will see. NOT the other way around like you suggested.

And AUO have made NO Curved 34" IPS Panels, they are all currently made by LG.Display, AUO have however made the 35" 2650x1080 VA Panel which is in the BenQ and the Acer z35 like I said before.

And LG.Display have made more than one curved 34" IPS Panel. And Samsung have also made a S-VA 34" Panel.

I was responding to the query about the amount of curve, nothing else. I know they are very different monitors in all other aspects. It's actually irrelevant even how big these monitors are... I only used that as an illustration visually as you can clearly see the curve is tighter on one than the other. A 2000R curve would still give a tighter curve on a miniature 10" monitor. I always said the lower number is a tighter curve, not sure what you're on about there.

I edited that 3800R bit almost immediately but I was referring to the IPS... I wasn't sure if that was 3000R or 3800R, but either way it's clearly less tight of a curve than the 2000R BenQ.

As for the panels, OK if that was LG, my bad, but I said IPS... it's the same one used in the Dell, LG and Acer. I know the Benq and Samsung are different, I never said they weren't.

-snip-

Ohh now I see the confusion, the way you originally worded some of your posts made it seem to me like you thought the BenQ XR3501 and the Acer x34 would use the same panel and I misinterpreted some other things too due to that, so sorry about that.
(I probably read over it too quick lol it is 4am almost)

Anyways it seems we actually agree about the main topic, so all that discussion was pretty pointless ahah

Really? :o Could you copy me a link please just to confirm? Because I wasn't ever able to find any info on the exact curvature of the x34 or the U3415W, but would be nice to have it confirmed :)

Just from the same video where the 100hz rumor first came from. Gotta assume it's correct since everything else was.

https://youtu.be/U-sZ2LR0H48

@ 0:54

I really wish they would release a version of this monitor without G-Sync. From my experience having a 144hz display is (nearly) pointless to have G-Sync.

I really wish they would release a version of this monitor without G-Sync. From my experience having a 144hz display is (nearly) pointless to have G-Sync.

How's that now? What if you're running a really demanding game on your 144Hz monitor that is constantly dropping to much lower frame rates? This is where G-Sync comes in to its own... if you have an Nvidia card of course... if not, there is the Freesync version.

You are mixing some other monitor with this one. This is 100hz monitor, not 144hz.

Just from the same video where the 100hz rumor first came from. Gotta assume it's correct since everything else was.

@ 0:54

Don't know why people tote the 8 bit + FRC seeing as games use 6 bit with dithering with some 8 bit ones thrown occasionally. In addition, for professional usage you want true 10 bit output not FRC.

Don't know why people tote the 8 bit + FRC seeing as games use 6 bit with dithering with some 8 bit ones thrown occasionally. In addition, for professional usage you want true 10 bit output not FRC.

I was just listing what people can assume the other Panel specs will be (That aren't confirmed), and as it's an S-VA Panel you can assume it will be 8bit+FRC, not true 10Bit, either way it's still all unconfirmed and very early stages. 

Doesn't really matter if 8bit + frc isn't beneficial most people over normal 8bit, they will still most likely include dithering just so they can add it to the specs sheet. As is overly common with most display technologies, as long as it looks good on the spec sheets, even people who don't know what it means will use it as a 'plus point' to buy it over one without (Talking about display specs/technologies in general) It's also why we see so much confusion on line and on forums when it comes to display technology in general.

It's unfortunate, but it happens  :unsure:

I was just listing what people can assume the other Panel specs will be (That aren't confirmed), and as it's an S-VA Panel you can assume it will be 8bit+FRC, not true 10Bit, either way it's still all unconfirmed and very early stages.

Doesn't really matter if 8bit + frc isn't beneficial most people over normal 8bit, they will still most likely include dithering just so they can add it to the specs sheet. As is overally common with most display technologies, as long as it looks good on the spec sheets, even people who don't know what it means will use it as a 'plus point' to buy it over one without (Talking about display specs/technologies in general) It's also why we see so much confusion on line and on forums when it comes to display technology in general.

It's unfortunate, but it happens :unsure:

You're quite right. Well helping the community is what it's all about. It is a shame but it's all about sales and unfortunately the ones doing the selling have no idea what they're selling or any of technology behind it leaving most people to fend for themselves when it comes to tech specs!

I just feel it's very important for people to know more than the specs when it comes to dropping so much money on purchases like this. I see this all the time in audio where people try to describe the sound to other people but sound is subjective to everyone and the specs don't really do it justice.

There, i just ordered one from komplett.no ''expected shipping 22. of august'' :D
their website said september 12th yesterday. maybe they've got word from acer?

Hype ^_^.