acer x34 - no compromise after all?

Guest Strangerbob
Go to solution Solved by Metro,

nope. 28th here aswell :/

It is the 9 October for me in the UK

Corsair and Logitech have awesome customer support. 2 bad they don't work monitors.

I am waiting for RMA DCU2 280X for 50 days now, and that one was on RMA once before for 56 days.

$1,800au for the Gsync model?! I was expecting around $1,500au. Damn, way out of my price range now. Although I guess the standard model is okay with 75hz which is actaully around $1,500au, would've been nice if that was around $1,300au.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

$1,800au for the Gsync model?! I was expecting around $1,500au. Damn, way out of my price range now. Although I guess the standard model is okay with 75hz which is actaully around $1,500au, would've been nice if that was around $1,300au.

As it is $1300 US it was never going to be $1500 AUS based on out low exchange rate. Just checked and $1300 US is $1761.86 AUS

No way. Asus is worse than acer now...  

The thing is - if you get a bad unit, you`ll do whatever is required of you and wait for however long you need to get a replacement. You`ll just do it.

All customer services actually suck ass... you can only get lucky if you hit someone there who actually tries to earn their wage, instead of looking at the clock all day.

There are very few exceptions of good customer service. Like Noctua, and...  im sure there are a few more.

Furthermore you should not wait for the Asus one, because they still advertise their gsync widescreen as 60hz with a possibility of 75. The Acer x34 can actually be considered a high refresh rate one... while the asus wont be, even if it turns out to be 75hz after lots of work from asus.

What about if ASUS PG34Q had 100hz but it came out 2 months after the ACER Predator X34, would you still get the ACER monitor.

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

I don't think it would make much of a difference. Just hope your retailer has a good return policy and get a third party warranty like SquareTrade to make sure you don't get screwed on the off chance you have to RMA it. 

I cannot even find a quote on that website for how much it will cost to insure it.

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

What about if ASUS PG34Q had 100hz but it came out 2 months after the ACER Predator X34, would you still get the ACER monitor.

Then id get the one which is cheaper.

Last time heard the Asus monitor was only in development stage and had no release timeframe. Based on Acer's timeframe we could be looking at 6 months or more for the Asus monitor.

If Asus catches up on the bandwagon with 100, 120, or 144hz for a widescreen at this resolution with either FreeSync or Gsync it's going to be late this year into next year.

I cannot even find a quote on that website for how much it will cost to insure it.

You might be able to visit SquareTrade directly and see if they can insure it even though you bought it through a 3rd party website. 

Then id get the one which is cheaper.

What if they were the same price.

I'd get Acer, I prefer the stand. I have an Acer monitor now and now issues so why break off a good thing? 

What if they were the same price.

Then - id look for which has better delivery times from local stores ... or something.

If everything is 100% identical. Only then i would get the Asus... cuz i think their stand looks funkier. But i rate this choice below everything else, and below local etailer customer service.

Linus did his review and overclocked his FreeSync version of this monitor to 85HZ: 

Not if I was from the US and didn't want to overpay. That one is about $200 over the price that it was stated in the press release.

Not if I was from the US and didn't want to overpay. That one is about $200 over the price that it was stated in the press release.

The other problem is it seems they do not take it back if you do not want it, the only reason I asked is because you can get an extended warranty from them for 4 years

The other problem is it seems they do not take it back if you do not want it, the only reason I asked is because you can get an extended warranty from them for 4 years

I'd wait till Amazon or another retailer includes it. They have much better return policies and usually have good 3 year warranties you can buy.

That I am not sure, never looked into it, I think you can do different aspect ratios but I am not sure about Landscape and Portrait views, having three ACER X34 Gsync while playing a game, that is a lot of Field of View in the game. Could you give a picture of your backlight bleed when you are free to do it.

Thanks

Sorry, I cannot provide any photos of the Acer  XR341 CK Back light bleeding....(No Camera,..And currently I don't even have a camera phone...Long story!) But, I would describe it as more than light,...almost moderate! Go on NewEgg, and view the comments and you'll see I wasn't the only one to think so...

It Is a beautifully constructed monitor,...But I am abandoning ship on the Acer X34 and changing my priorities for my gaming setup!

I have been waiting a long time to complete a P.C. gaming setup, and after years of saving, putting things off because of Technological restrictions, etc...I actually feel comfortable with my decision!

4K gaming is good enough for me,...and as long as I can stably play the game titles I love at that resolution,...I am satisfied!

To give you a update on the Multi-Monitor setup....And my dilemma to go with AMD or Nvidia for a GPU to power these monitors - This was the contact at Nvidia's response...

"I understand from your email that you would like to know if there can be different orientations and combinations of displays supported by NVIDIA Surround.

I apologize for any inconvenience caused, but NVIDIA Surround will only work either in Landscape or in Portrait, a combination of both cannot be setup. Also the monitors need to be of the same size and resolutions as well."

So, I was right! My multi-monitor freedom would be compromised by sticking with Nvidia....

Let's say you have a Acer XB270 HU which is one of the most cutting edge Gaming Monitors currently available 27" G-Sync IPS (144 Hz).....Great Monitor!!

NOW....all the Nvidia Multi-Monitor guys are Drooling because the X34 Predator is coming out SOON!! 

Ultimate Gaming Setup!!!....XB270 HU (Which many gamers already own) in the center,....AND Two X34s one to each side (almost exactly the same height),......Unbelievable,....RIGHT!!       ~NOPE!!!!!

Nvidia's "Surround" can't deal with different sizes, and aspect ratios,...Plus you would be shelling out over $3,000 in monitors!

Forget it! 

Stable gaming at 4k (60 Hz)  on three 40' inch(16:9) was the final decision for $1500 -1800.00

I bought a Crossover 404k,....And side by side,....It blew the XR341 CK out of the water!  

P.S

I did eventually stick with Nvidia in spite of their prehistoric software because all three screens with be exactly the same.

The ACER x34 Gsync version is a different monitor, so it might have reduced backlight bleed on it.

You can usually take some electrical tape to help mitigate some of the back light bleed. I'd be worried about dead pixels or bad IPS glow. Sorry you had a bad experience.

You can usually take some electrical tape to help mitigate some of the back light bleed. I'd be worried about dead pixels or bad IPS glow. Sorry you had a bad experience.

I sent that monitor back when I committed to Nvidia cards for my build (Yikes! Who wants Electrical Tape on their +$1,000 monitor),...I love my 404k....You could give me a X34 Predator, and I would still use the 404k instead...     :)

I sent that monitor back when I committed to Nvidia cards for my build (Yikes! Who wants Electrical Tape on their +$1,000 monitor),...I love my 404k....You could give me a X34 Predator, and I would still use the 404k instead...     :)

Now that you moved on the the size of the 40", the minimum 21:9 size you want will be 50". Glad that you are happy. 

These large screens use VA panel variants usually, so they have less chance of blacklight bleed.

Anyway, just wanted to say that there is a credit-card trick you can do along the bezel of the monitor to fix the backlight bleed. MOST of the time. Its there usually because the manufacturer has pressed the glass to the backlight too hard.

The ASUS ROG one was doing 60hz and they were shooting for 75hz. Now that ACER thinks they can make one with 100hz ASUS needs to step up their game.

Kicking the "specs" out the door for a minute I think the ASUS will be a better monitor when it comes to build, design, and layout of menus. It will come down to price and review for me. But one of these two will be my new monitor.

-snip-

P.S

I did eventually stick with Nvidia in spite of their prehistoric software because all three screens with be exactly the same.

Nvidia only has to have the same vertical resolution. Also does G-Sync even working in surround yet? I believe it didn't on launch just like SLI.

The ASUS ROG one was doing 60hz and they were shooting for 75hz. Now that ACER thinks they can make one with 100hz ASUS needs to step up their game.

Kicking the "specs" out the door for a minute I think the ASUS will be a better monitor when it comes to build, design, and layout of menus. It will come down to price and review for me. But one of these two will be my new monitor.

I'm starting to consider waiting to see what Samsung may deliver with the 100Hz 3440x1440 S-VA Panel they have in development, if they bring out a monitor with that Panel with G sync too before Q2 of next year at the latest I would be willing to potentially wait! 

Even though of course the x34 and the Asus will be great options and the people who have them will love them probably, I just don't like either of their designs that much, I prefer the 'professional' look over the 'gaming' look, and if I really want a no compromise display that's a big factor for me :c 

I would even consider it without g sync if the price is reduced to match  ^_^

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

I'm starting to consider waiting to see what Samsung may deliver with the 100Hz 3440x1440 S-VA Panel they have in development, if they bring out a monitor with that Panel with G sync too before Q2 of next year at the latest I would be willing to potentially wait!

Even though of course the x34 and the Asus will be great options and the people who have them will love them probably, I just don't like either of their designs that much, I prefer the 'professional' look over the 'gaming' look, and if I really want a no compromise display that's a big factor for me :c

I would even consider it without g sync if the price is reduced to match ^_^

I'm still interested without gsync but not as interested if you know what I mean.

The should just use the design for the PA series monitors, you can't go wrong with it.