acer x34 - no compromise after all?

Guest Strangerbob
Go to solution Solved by Metro,

nope. 28th here aswell :/

It is the 9 October for me in the UK

Refering to this article:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/4/8726489/acer-asus-curved-monitors-computex-2015

It says:

"Acer emphasizes gaming, putting its Predator branding and some extra design flourishes on its new X34 monitor. LED lights adorn the underside of the screen, allowing you to customize the rhythm of their pulsations, and the whole thing is styled in a typically aggressive and macho fashion. The company has also overclocked the refresh rate from 75Hz to 100Hz,"

Is there hope after all to get a 100hz IPS 3440x1440 GSYNC screen this year?

Refering to this article:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/4/8726489/acer-asus-curved-monitors-computex-2015

It says:

"Acer emphasizes gaming, putting its Predator branding and some extra design flourishes on its new X34 monitor. LED lights adorn the underside of the screen, allowing you to customize the rhythm of their pulsations, and the whole thing is styled in a typically aggressive and macho fashion. The company has also overclocked the refresh rate from 75Hz to 100Hz,"

Is there hope after all to get a 100hz IPS 3440x1440 GSYNC screen this year?

I doubt it.

Please, follow your own posts and mention me in comments, otherwise i won't be able to help you.

Daily OS: OpenBSD -current

I doubt it.

You doubt what? Acer had the 100hz version at Computex, it's now been reported by many sites.

You doubt what? Acer had the 100hz version at Computex, it's now been reported by many sites.

I doubt it is going to get released THIS year.

Please, follow your own posts and mention me in comments, otherwise i won't be able to help you.

I doubt it is going to get released THIS year.

Acer say August for the US

Acer say August for the US

We're going to see what Acer brings, i dont think they are going to make it.

We're going to see what Acer brings, i dont think they are going to make it.

Acer released information back in April about this monitor with 75hz and now they have upped it to 100hz. I can't see why they won't have it released in 2 months.

Acer released information back in April about this monitor with 75hz and now they have upped it to 100hz. I can't see why they won't have it released in 2 months.

Holy shit, for real?

They really showed it as 100hz @ computex?

O. M. G.

Best in slot monitor coming after all. 100hz is good enough. I can do without the 144hz, but 75 would be too small.

Well I made an account just for this. I've been following this monitor closely and it's very exciting. I'm probably too new a user to post links, but there are a few Youtube videos where the Acer rep at computex explicitly says "it's 100hz." Also, the Asus competing version will offer "at least 75hz" according to their rep, so it sounds like Asus is trying for 100hz too.

Makes sense, the DP1.2 bandwidth is there. I posted this at another forum after doing the math:

To determine the LCD Data Rate I take the Pixels for one frame and multiply this value with the refresh rate. So I get e.g. 3440x1440x100Hz = 495,360,000 Pixels/s.
To get the Mbit/s value, we multiply the Pixel/s with the size of one Pixel. So 495,360,000 Pixel/s x 32 Bit/Pixel = 15,851,520,000 bit/s, or roughly 15.85Gbit/s.

Displayport 1.2 can do 17.28Gbit/s, so theoretically you could pass 3440x1440 at 100hz with 32bit color over one displayport cable.
Using that same math, 4K (3840x2160) at 60hz is 15.93Gbit/s and we know that works.

Top theoretical refresh limit at 3440x1440p with a 32 bit pixel depth would be 109hz. So yes, this panel could do 100hz and have a little room to spare. Whether they can get the IPS panel to do that is another story, but there are IPS panels at 144hz, so that's possible too. This would be the first time I'm aware that Acer, Asus, or anyone put all that together.

On a side note, I'm really enjoying the forums and the tech videos on this site. Quickly becoming one of my regular visiting places.

• 1 month later...

This is what I have been waiting for. Personally, I prefer how the Acer model looks compared to Asus competing ROG model. The ASUS model looks too childish for me. Where as the Acer looks a lot more professional. The only thing I was a little iffy on was the refresh rates for either monitor. Now that Acer says they are pushing 100mhz. I am completely sold on their model. I might wait a couple weeks to purchase to see some reviews (I don't want what has been happening with Asus's ROG Swift monitor to me), but I think the Acer X34 is going to be the one.

This is what I have been waiting for. Personally, I prefer how the Acer model looks compared to Asus competing ROG model. The ASUS model looks too childish for me. Where as the Acer looks a lot more professional. The only thing I was a little iffy on was the refresh rates for either monitor. Now that Acer says they are pushing 100mhz. I am completely sold on their model. I might wait a couple weeks to purchase to see some reviews (I don't want what has been happening with Asus's ROG Swift monitor to me), but I think the Acer X34 is going to be the one.

You shouldn't really necro old threads, it's technically against the CoC's. 

But on a side note, Linus said on his Twitter the other day that Acer will be sending him a review unit, so we can hopefully (Pretty much 100%) expect a video on it from Linus soon(ish)!

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

I'm sceptical about 100Hz simply due to the panel limitations. At the core, this is still a 60Hz panel... it's not a brand new design from the one we saw in the Dell/LG/AOC curved monitors. It would be an epic achievement to squeeze an extra 40Hz out of it, and no doubt that would involve some clever internal tech going as no one has ever got close to that overclocking this panel by themselves. Either that or they've done something in the production process to enable it to get that much higher. I would LOVE if this screen ends up being 100Hz, but I will await official reviews.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, I think we should all wait until DP 1.3 is implemented by GPUs and their respective monitors. I have a feeling that monitor manufacturer's haven't already incorporated 1.3 is because there are no current GPUs with that but that should change when Pascal comes out in 2016. Still, having to wait almost another year or so to be able to do a 1440P, 3460x1440P kind of sucks.

Honestly, I think we should all wait until DP 1.3 is implemented by GPUs and their respective monitors. I have a feeling that monitor manufacturer's haven't already incorporated 1.3 is because there are no current GPUs with that but that should change when Pascal comes out in 2016. Still, having to wait almost another year or so to be able to do a 1440P, 3460x1440P kind of sucks.

5120x2160 would be nicer, i agree.

But DP1.3 sucks shit, as it can only drive that @ 97hz with 8bit (4:4:4) color. Yet DP1.2 already could do that resolution @ 65hz.

DP1.3 is such a minor improvement and is taking so fucking long anyway, makes me want to ignore everything "displayport" forever.

You can endlessly wait. But nowadays its better to just get something variable refresh rate and IPS to hold you over for the next 5 years.

Cuz after 5 years we will get the real things we all want - OLED monitors that can go as low as 0hz in variable refresh rate and have CRT response times, therefore zero motion artifacts and no need for overdrive at all.

And SuperMHL connector which has 3x the bandwidth of DP1.3 and could do 5120x2160 with 10bit (4:4:4)@200hz.

But DP1.3 sucks shit, as it can only drive that @ 97hz with 8bit (4:4:4) color. Yet DP1.2 already could do that resolution @ 65hz.

DP1.3 is such a minor improvement and is taking so fucking long anyway, makes me want to ignore everything "displayport" forever.

You can endlessly wait. But nowadays its better to just get something variable refresh rate and IPS to hold you over for the next 5 years.

Cuz after 5 years we will get the real things we all want - OLED monitors that can go as low as 0hz in variable refresh rate and have CRT response times, therefore zero motion artifacts and no need for overdrive at all.

And SuperMHL connector which has 3x the bandwidth of DP1.3 and could do 5120x2160 with 10bit (4:4:4)@200hz.

There is another article here about 100hz

https://www.g-sync.com/news/acer-x34-100hz-ips-ultrawide-g-sync-gaming-monitor/

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

I hope it doesn't look like the top version on that link (Bezels are thicker),....I would assume it will look identical to the XR341 CK. I have the FreeSync model and it is beautiful EXCEPT for one BIG thing...a lot of back light bleed (I have a feeling this will be the main complaint about the X34 also,....

This model is not going to be sticking around,....I need the G-Sync!

Question: Does Nvidia support more than one aspect for "Surround"?

Would it support a a large central monitor at 16:9, and then two of these 21:9's on each side...??

I am almost positive you can't combine Landscape and Portrait orientations in your setup...Right??

I guess this is one area (Mixed Rotation Eyefinity) you could "clearly' give a advantage to AMD.

I hope it doesn't look like the top version on that link (Bezels are thicker),....I would assume it will look identical to the XR341 CK. I have the FreeSync model and it is beautiful EXCEPT for one BIG thing...a lot of back light bleed (I have a feeling this will be the main complaint about the X34 also,....

This model is not going to be sticking around,....I need the G-Sync!

Question: Does Nvidia support more than one aspect for "Surround"?

Would it support a a large central monitor at 16:9, and then two of these 21:9's on each side...??

I am almost positive you can't combine Landscape and Portrait orientations in your setup...Right??

I guess this is one area (Mixed Rotation Eyefinity) you could "clearly' give a advantage to AMD.

That I am not sure, never looked into it, I think you can do different aspect ratios but I am not sure about Landscape and Portrait views, having three ACER X34 Gsync while playing a game, that is a lot of Field of View in the game. Could you give a picture of your backlight bleed when you are free to do it.

Thanks

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Damnit what should I do? 4k at 60hz or 1440p at 144hz? :o

Damnit what should I do? 4k at 60hz or 1440p at 144hz? :o

Acer x34 with its 3440x1440 IPS @ 100hz with gsync - is the one that has it all.... if you can afford it.

Acer x34 with its 3440x1440 IPS @ 100hz with gsync - is the one that has it all.... if you can afford it.

That's the one I'm seriously considering. It seems like the best, most immersive monitor we're going to get at this point without compromising. Most 1440P games hover around that 70-90 FPS mark so it seems like it would be spot on.

Has the release date been pushed to October?

That's the one I'm seriously considering. It seems like the best, most immersive monitor we're going to get at this point without compromising. Most 1440P games hover around that 70-90 FPS mark so it seems like it would be spot on.

Does launched mean the same as released, some times I read about it being launched but they just talk about the monitor. If it does, the monitor has been released now.

http://tech.hexun.com/2015-08-02/178016108.html

Maybe for the US. Its preorderable already here and there in EU. EU does seem to get monitors a month earlier than US it seems...

And, ye... after this monitor the next worthy upgrade will be in 7 years at least, when OLED and SuperMHL cable is widely available for monitors.

Cuz even displayport 1.3 which is taking ages to get here - is shit. Its a marginal bandwidth increase over current displayport 1.2. It would allow 3440x1440 @ 144hz... ok, good, but not really worth waiting for if we get the the 100hz version now. And regarding 5120x2160... dp1.3 would only be able to drive that @90hz max, which is 10hz too low to be acceptable as a FAST refresh rate monitor in my view. So the next displayport upgrade is a marginal piece of crap and a disappointment. Cable wise SuperMHL is our only hope and thats far away.

Does launched mean the same as released, some times I read about it being launched but they just talk about the monitor. If it does, the monitor has been released now.

http://tech.hexun.com/2015-08-02/178016108.html

Predator X34内置NVIDIA G-SYNC技术,具备3440x1440超高分辨率,游戏级的100Hz刷新率,21:9 IPS广视角屏幕。

I just really like seeing that "100hz" there. Still wont trust it completely before some 3rd party reviewer confirms it.

I've just received confirmation from Acer that we are looking at an October time frame. " late September" is what they specifically said so that will translate into Oct if they ship good quality panels. If they ship in sept I would be wary of the first batch.

I've just received confirmation from Acer that we are looking at an October time frame. " late September" is what they specifically said so that will translate into Oct if they ship good quality panels. If they ship in sept I would be wary of the first batch.

We only want good quality panels for this price.

Hope its true - that Acer learned from their previous launches.