WD Red speed difference, should I be worried?

It's a shame you can't have them all in place to do them all at once to sage you a bit of time.

I'm fairly confident that if you have it setup correctly and suited to you, then a gigabit network will be the bottle neck.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

It's a shame you can't have them all in place to do them all at once to sage you a bit of time.

I finished the burn-in at 9AM today.

At 11AM the postman dropped off the SATA power cables, so now I would be able attach all 8 HDDs to the main PC. Typical ...

Now I'm just waiting for the motherboard to arrive so I can finally continue. It would have been here yesterday but apparently TNT put it on the wrong delivery truck so it's back in the main depot. They do deliver packages on Saturday morning, so fingers crossed.

I could test the card already in the main PC, but then I'd have to break my SLI (my motherboard goes into x8/x4/x4 as soon as you insert anything into the third PCI-E x16 slot) and tear down half my PC to give it power. I'll just wait a few more days.

All in all, between the 8 drives I see differences of up to 12MB/s in various situations.

However all have perfect SMART readings and temperatures and not a single bad sector. I checked with a "poor man's stethoscope" (put the end of a screwdriver on the disk and hold your ear against the handle) and there are no suspicious noises either.

So they should be good.

All good then, interested to see what you do!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications