Thermaltake in danger of being removed from market

MeDownYou

EK vs. Thermaltake Block -  Again, and I don't know much about liquid cooling, it's a god damn water block, and I don't even think they look similar.

No offence intended, but if you knew more about watercooling you would know that it's virtually a clone of the EK design, if you look at the way the bridge connects to the cards, EK were the first (and until now) only company to do it that way with the 90 degree bend blocks and multi card bridge (every other company used links between the cards instead).  Thermalfake have basically taken EK's design and made a cheap copy of it, the are dozens of water block manufacturers and nobody else did it this way.

No offence intended, but if you knew more about watercooling you would know that it's virtually a clone of the EK design, if you look at the way the bridge connects to the cards, EK were the first (and until now) only company to do it that way with the 90 degree bend blocks and multi card bridge (every other company used links between the cards instead).  Thermalfake have basically taken EK's design and made a cheap copy of it, the are dozens of water block manufacturers and nobody else did it this way.

Oh none taken, I really don't know much about all that stuff anyway, not an area I've ventured to yet, I'm still on AiOs

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

So you are okay with companies blatantly copying anothers designs and then calling it their own? You like cheap and cheaply built products it seems regardless for their origin.

If you were to go into business selling hotdog bun what woudl they look like?  Or what about bicycles?

Yes, they'd be copies.

Which is entirely legal so long as what you are copying is not otherwise protected by a design patent, trademark, or other form of IP.

You do know that someone else could come along and do the same thing to Thermaltake?  Copying any of their designs that they have not protected.  But I doubt they'd respond with a bunch of whining and butthurt over it.

Big boys play by big boy rules.  It only seems unfair to those who think they are special.

And Thermaltake is in no danger of "being removed from the market"  (whatever that is supposed to mean) no matter how much white knighting fanbois wish it were so.

They have the single ugliest logo I've ever seen.

If you were to go into business selling hotdog bun what woudl they look like?  Or what about bicycles?

Yes, they'd be copies.

Which is entirely legal so long as what you are copying is not otherwise protected by a design patent, trademark, or other form of IP.

You do know that someone else could come along and do the same thing to Thermaltake?  Copying any of their designs that they have not protected.  But I doubt they'd respond with a bunch of whining and butthurt over it.

Big boys play by big boy rules.  It only seems unfair to those who think they are special.

And Thermaltake is in no danger of "being removed from the market"  (whatever that is supposed to mean) no matter how much white knighting fanbois wish it were so.

Just because they can do it doesn't mean its right. There are so many things I could get into with that.

Less companies, less competition, higher prices, so, yeah, thats all i give half a shit about, stop defending or attacking corporations as if they were people, they don't give a fuck about you, why should you? I hope a company that makes PSUs, air coolers, AIOs, watercooling parts, cases, storage solutions and peripherals stays in the market, unless you wanna pay more for all of those.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Less companies, less competition, higher prices, so, yeah, thats all i give half a shit about, stop defending or attacking corporations as if they were people, they don't give a fuck about you, why should you? I hope a company that makes PSUs, air coolers, AIOs, watercooling parts, cases, storage solutions and peripherals stays in the market, unless you wanna pay more for all of those.

Do yo uknow how many companies there are in that area? Do you know how many new ones try to start up a year? thermaltake's products arnt competitive for the most part. That is why they are doing something like this.

no, they just need to die a painful death.

Why?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Never really cared for the company. They brought this upon themselves, every time I turn around they are being accused of copying something without permission.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just because they can do it doesn't mean its right. There are so many things I could get into with that.

It is not simply a matter of "can do" it is also a matter of "entirely legal and accepted business practice."

Again, some people may feel otherwise.  But that is emotion, not reason talking.

If it is not protected IP then they don't need permission from anyone to copy it.

Although I suspect that water block is a licensed copy - in which case they did get permission, but only because that design is unique enough to justify a design patent.  Everything else in question?  Not likely, those are all too basic/generic and fall well within the public domain.

It is not simply a matter of "can do" it is also a matter of "entirely legal and accepted business practice."

Again, some people may feel otherwise.  But that is emotion, not reason talking.

If it is not protected IP then they don't need permission from anyone to copy it.

Although I suspect that water block is a licensed copy - in which case they did get permission, but only because that design is unique enough to justify a design patent.  Everything else in question?  Not likely, those are all too basic/generic and fall well within the public domain.

I never said we'd legally block them but its one hell of a negative PR stunt and one ive never want my company to do. Yea your getting press, not good press. What will being your company back is good designs of your own. basically it doesnt sit well with me even if it is legal. There was more than enough room even in the designs they choose but on the outside. They purposely choose to make the outsides nearly match the competition. These are also very successful products from their competition. Instead of designing something themselves to compete in the market they just copy the ID and hope oh hey it looks the same and is cheaper ill get that instead. Who in their right mind would legit want to be that company.

Same you had a industry wide known ID would you want a competitor to rip it off and show it off as their own. Even if it was legally right I bet it would sit well with you deep down.

A good example I think is RAM. It is a very simple thing, yet the brands try very hard to differentiate themselves and most ram is distinguishable from another (minus the low end without heatsinks).

I never said we'd legally block them but its one hell of a negative PR stunt and one ive never want my company to do. Yea your getting press, not good press. What will being your company back is good designs of your own. basically it doesnt sit well with me even if it is legal. There was more than enough room even in the designs they choose but on the outside. They purposely choose to make the outsides nearly match the competition. These are also very successful products from their competition. Instead of designing something themselves to compete in the market they just copy the ID and hope oh hey it looks the same and is cheaper ill get that instead. Who in their right mind would legit want to be that company.

Same you had a industry wide known ID would you want a competitor to rip it off and show it off as their own. Even if it was legally right I bet it would sit well with you deep down.

A good example I think is RAM. It is a very simple thing, yet the brands try very hard to differentiate themselves and most ram is distinguishable from another (minus the low end without heatsinks).

You keep using this term "rip off."  I do not think you know what it means.

People like those as Case Labs, Fractal Designs, and elsewhere do not go into this business blindly.  They know the issues full and well.  If their designs were sufficiently unique to warrant IP protection then they would be sure to obtain - and enforce - such protection.  That they do not says that they acknowledge that their own design are also copies of things that have come before.

They are the ones whining for publicity, and you are the sort foolish enough to play along with their games.

You are being manipulated yet refuse to see it.

can someone please find something to sue antec for?

Fractal copied antec cases so.....

please dont quote a post i made a month ago, and certainly not without reading the rest of the followed up messages.

You keep using this term "rip off."  I do not think you know what it means.

People like those as Case Labs, Fractal Designs, and elsewhere do not go into this business blindly.  They know the issues full and well.  If their designs were sufficiently unique to warrant IP protection then they would be sure to obtain - and enforce - such protection.  That they do not says that they acknowledge that their own design are also copies of things that have come before.

They are the ones whining for publicity, and you are the sort foolish enough to play along with their games.

You are being manipulated yet refuse to see it.

All I have to say is dont play that shit with me. I have my views on products and designs. I am not at all playing someone else's game as I make my own opinions based on my own research. you also choose to disregard everything ive said and focus on one small point.

Ill give Thermaltake all the negative publicity they deserve. They have only had a couple designs here or there anyway. One big one they didnt even design.

Its rather hard to patent the look of a product vs its function. The is also the time and the cost. None of the companies are the size of companies like Apple and Samsung that just have money to throw to patent every little thing.

Fractal is the only one that has said that. Also having owned both Antec and Fractal Cases (Antec Cases for much longer). I would have to say that Fractal changed more than thermaltake has, considerably more. They also didnt place the side panel fan in the exact same spot. There is a large difference between taking design queue's and copying the ID of a product.

no one is going to want to sue antec anymore they are no longer worth it.

All I have to say is dont play that shit with me. I have my views on products and designs. I am not at all playing someone else's game as I make my own opinions based on my own research. you also choose to disregard everything ive said and focus on one small point.

Ill give Thermaltake all the negative publicity they deserve. They have only had a couple designs here or there anyway. One big one they didnt even design.

Its rather hard to patent the look of a product vs its function. The is also the time and the cost. None of the companies are the size of companies like Apple and Samsung that just have money to throw to patent every little thing.

Fractal is the only one that has said that. Also having owned both Antec and Fractal Cases (Antec Cases for much longer). I would have to say that Fractal changed more than thermaltake has, considerably more. They also didnt place the side panel fan in the exact same spot. There is a large difference between taking design queue's and copying the ID of a product.

no one is going to want to sue antec anymore they are no longer worth it.

What I was saying is that antec started the minimal design thing and fractal used that idea and became what they are today

• 3 weeks later...

All I have to say is dont play that shit with me...

LOL.

It isn't "shit," it is simple exposition of the facts.  If it is not legally protected it is inevitably derivative of something else.

You are confusing esthetics with morality and don't even know it.