A revolution in mid-tower cases - the Defcon One

Wow, I really like it! I would definitely buy one. <33

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Me and people from Ten Syndicate have this question that is, how are you going to handle the heat issue on the graphics card side?

The airflow look extremely restricted, will there be extra space to handle a 2.5 slot graphics card without choking them?

Other concern is that the heat output of the cards may melt the side window.

The graphics cards take in fresh air from outside via the cut-out side window, so the air intake it not a concern since the cut out will allow to take in air for 3x80mm fans for each card.

The hot air is then pushed out from the back of the case and the front; in the front there can be seen a grid, designed to both let the air from the GPU pass and to slow it down, so that it will then diffuse.

Since the amount of heat dissipated by the back of the card isa small fraction of that dissipated by the heatsink, there are not thermal problems (in fact the temps are lower thanks to the fresh air intake)

As you can see from the renders that front grid is eventually hidden from sight by the front panel.

We'll be running test and are strongly considering adding an oversized side-panel to fit 2.5 and 3 slot graphic cards, but we'll nee to build the prototype to test the feasibility.

Feel free to ask any other question you may have, and I'll gladly clarify :)

Wow, I really like it! I would definitely buy one. <33

Thanks man! happy you like it! Indiegogo seems to be down right now, but if you like the project and want to have a chance to buy it, give us a hand at prototyping it by helping out with the funding :)

Intel Core i7 4790KK @4.2Ghz; AsRock Z97M OC Formula; HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3 @1866; Zotac GTX970 @1532; 7510; Defcon One Final prototype; 2x 2TB seagate HDD,1 x Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD1x Kingston SSD now V300 240GB; Corsair CX600M; 2x LG full HD 21.5"; Seidon 120V with Jetflow 120mm fan; CM Devastator; A4 Tech Bloody V2M Sanguinante2.1 Trust surround; Win 10 Pro 64 bit

The graphics cards take in fresh air from outside via the cut-out side window, so the air intake it not a concern since the cut out will allow to take in air for 3x80mm fans for each card.

The hot air is then pushed out from the back of the case and the front; in the front there can be seen a grid, designed to both let the air from the GPU pass and to slow it down, so that it will then diffuse.

Since the amount of heat dissipated by the back of the card isa small fraction of that dissipated by the heatsink, there are not thermal problems (in fact the temps are lower thanks to the fresh air intake)

As you can see from the renders that front grid is eventually hidden from sight by the front panel.

Oh I see, it appears that your design for the graphics card side is purely air cooled. Will there be holes for piping of R9 390X or 980Ti Hybrid? There is are more questions which are, where is the 80mm fan? As for cable routing, I suppose you can route the cables behind the mobo tray and the graphics card tray? 

I would like to suggest that you guys actually extend the fan intake grills all the way to the CPU side, make it at least be able to support 240mm rad and increasing the depth of the case if necessary. Also, maybe make the front panel mesh for the intakes? 

I have created a thread at Tek Syndicate to raise awareness about your project as well, do go there and answer more question.

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/defcon-one-kickstarter/81587

Oh I see, it appears that your design for the graphics card side is purely air cooled. Will there be holes for piping of R9 390X or 980Ti Hybrid? There is are more questions which are, where is the 80mm fan? As for cable routing, I suppose you can route the cables behind the mobo tray and the graphics card tray? 

I would like to suggest that you guys actually extend the fan intake grills all the way to the CPU side, make it at least be able to support 240mm rad and increasing the depth of the case if necessary. Also, maybe make the front panel mesh for the intakes? 

I have created a thread at Tek Syndicate to raise awareness about your project as well, do go there and answer more question.

https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/defcon-one-kickstarter/81587

First off thank you so much for the support! will go there asap!

The optional 80mm fan mounting holes are on the motherboard side, on the back of the case, above the I/O.

Currently the only way to use these hybrid coolers is to air cool the CPU and mount the 120mm rad where the CPU one would be.

We have however an idea of how to implement both rad in single GPU config, but that requires testing on the prototypes...

As for additional fan holes etc, we didn't put any because they aren't actually needed.

What one needs to keep in mind is that regular cases have the need for fans to extract hot air from the case and dissipate the thermal load from the GPU and CPU; The Defcon One does away with this and creates two separate air-flows : an independent one for GPUs and another for the CPU and motherboard side. If you liquid cool the CPU,  and have the GPUs as you designed them to be, your thermal load int he case goes from 400+ Watts be below 60/70W, which eliminates the need for a big airflow :)

The cables do route behind the motherboard plate and stay hidden between the GPU and motherboard plates :)

Intel Core i7 4790KK @4.2Ghz; AsRock Z97M OC Formula; HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3 @1866; Zotac GTX970 @1532; 7510; Defcon One Final prototype; 2x 2TB seagate HDD,1 x Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB SSD1x Kingston SSD now V300 240GB; Corsair CX600M; 2x LG full HD 21.5"; Seidon 120V with Jetflow 120mm fan; CM Devastator; A4 Tech Bloody V2M Sanguinante2.1 Trust surround; Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I actually like it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I actually like it.

Great to hear man! 

Don't forget to share to crowdfunding campaign and if you can contribute to help us reach the funding goal! :)

You are going to have to include a very long flexible sli cable.

HTID

You are going to have to include a very long flexible sli cable.

Indeed we will include a proper lenght flexible SLI cable :)

Thanks again Nicola for explanation, I made my contribution on Indiegogo to the campaign and also made a post on some forum of gaming clan and community :D
Let's hope!
Tengo le dita incrociate per il progetto ;)

Thanks again Nicola for explanation, I made my contribution on Indiegogo to the campaign and also made a post on some forum of gaming clan and community :D

Let's hope!

Tengo le dita incrociate per il progetto ;)

Thank you so much for all the help! :D

Would you mind PMing me the link to the post you made? so i can reply to their questions too? :)

Grazie ancora e speriamo bene :)

damn.  That's a pretty sexy chassis.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

damn.  That's a pretty sexy chassis.

Thank you! Be sure to share and contribute funding it to help us make this chassis a reality! :)

It's a pretty neat idea.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It's a pretty neat idea.

Thank you! took quite a few month of development to get to this point :)

Both sharing and contributing to the campaign help a great deal in achieving the final goal :)

Both sharing and contributing to the campaign help a great deal in achieving the final goal :)

How much are you involved in this ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Do you have any plans to design a full tower case? I think it would look really good, with angular vent slats on the side panel at the bottom.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Interesting, but not that revolutionary or needed.

The vertical cases already isolate GPU heat. No GPU heat goes to my CPU in my FT05

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

That's a pretty sexy case. Wonder when Thermaltake's one comes out. 

PEW PEW PEW

The vertical cases already isolate GPU heat. No GPU heat goes to my CPU in my FT05

I'm sure it does if it has open Air design.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I'm sure it does if it has open Air design.

But the heat goes directly up and out. There is really no way it goes to the CPU

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

How much are you involved in this ?

I actually am the one who had the idea and did all the blueprinting and design for it :)

Do you have any plans to design a full tower case? I think it would look really good, with angular vent slats on the side panel at the bottom.

We do have some drafts in the works, but until we can get this one on the market and the other project my partner is working on (a desk-case) we won't have the resources to develop it.

We do intend to give it full water-cooling support in addition to many other cool features ;)

Not really - the real issue here is the need in pretty much every case I can think of, to move the hot air out of the case in order to allow the components to breath fresh air - in the Defcon One all the thermal design has been thought of in a way that the heat dissipated inside of the case is minimal, eliminating the need for fans that are not the GPU ones or the AiO CPU cooler ones  - the thermal design is completely different from any case on the market :)

PEW PEW PEW

Shots have been fired.

But the heat goes directly up and out. There is really no way it goes to the CPU

The fans push that air towards the CPU before it goes up.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Not really - the real issue here is the need in pretty much every case I can think of, to move the hot air out of the case in order to allow the components to breath fresh air - in the Defcon One all the thermal design has been thought of in a way that the heat dissipated inside of the case is minimal, eliminating the need for fans that are not the GPU ones or the AiO CPU cooler ones  - the thermal design is completely different from any case on the market :)

SUre its completly different, and I welcome change. I just dont think its that needed. Interesting.

BUt like the silverstone FT05 and other vertical cases fix the air problem.

But this is still very intersting and cool.

WHat kind of materials is it made of?

Im a fan of aluminum.

I actually am the one who had the idea and did all the blueprinting and design for it :)

We do have some drafts in the works, but until we can get this one on the market and the other project my partner is working on (a desk-case) we won't have the resources to develop it.

We do intend to give it full water-cooling support in addition to many other cool features ;)

Shots have been fired.

Oh I had an idea yall might like, feel free to use it.

People are always making these tiny form factor cases so that people can have a PC in the living room,, right? Why not a coffee table case (glass top or not), or maybe, an entertainment center (TV stand?) desk.

That way you don't have the pain and irritation of working with a small case, and all the great cooling that comes with a bigger case.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

SUre its completly different, and I welcome change. I just dont think its that needed. Interesting.

BUt like the silverstone FT05 and other vertical cases fix the air problem.

But this is still very intersting and cool.

WHat kind of materials is it made of?

Im a fan of aluminum.

Well, if you don't mind fans in the case, then it's not that big of a deal - if you prefer removing them as much as possible and have the components "take care of themselves" by maximing the way the case allows cooling, I guess it's more relevant :)

Glad you like the idea tho!

It's made entirely of 1.5mm alluminum, asides from the plexi of course, lol